Head Covering For Sun Protection

CobraSnakeNecktie

Let's see

I have my 3m respirator

Helmet

Ipod/earphones

Sun glasses

I have seen riders wearing various head coverings to protect them from the sun.

I have seen a few riders with what kind of looks like KKK mask. They seem to ride slowly maybe because they can't see where they are going.

I still want to ride fast and be able to see in my peripheral vision.

Anyone know a good source or design?

Helmets probably don't give you much sun protection, but they give you impact protection, which is probably more important. Having bought a black helmet, I'd probably go for white colour next time, because I imagine they reflect solar radiation better. I've seen people using headscarfs underneath. I am not sure if earphones are a good idea, because you definitely want to hear oncoming motor vehicles. Had I used earphones, I would probably have crashed into some motocross or hilltribe rider on Doi Pui by now.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Edited by chiangmaiexpat

I wear; skull rag under Helmet and shades………….Job done, I’ve never got sun burnt on a ride yet!

If your worried then just slap on some 'UV Block'…….You don’t need to go KKK to ride in the sun……..Unless your looking to
get noticed.

I use sunblock on all exposed parts and still get burned sometimes when I am out for a few hours midday. You would think the additional red dust would provide further protection but is doesn’t seem to work that way for me.wink.png

Interesting,

I don’t use any sun screen or cover up…..Just helmet and shade’s, I never get

burnt or even notice any effect after riding from the sun, I too ride all times

of the day.

Maybe it’s where your riding…..By that I mean riding in the open a lot, maybe with your

body in a more up-right position, (exposing your face more to the sun)

I ride mostly off-road and with a fair degree of tree canopy cover for most

of my ride-outs….And a lot of the time my head is down…..Ass-up, gasping for air ha

ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Many times I've thought my cycle-helmet may only be giving me limited sun-protection.. well one guy who cycles with us has a quite thin skull-cap..c/w the neck protecting 'flap'..he wears it under his helmet without any restiction & I'm thinking of doing the same. As far as I know he got it from an army-surplus shop locally. (sorry no photo).

Many times I've thought my cycle-helmet may only be giving me limited sun-protection.. well one guy who cycles with us has a quite thin skull-cap..c/w the neck protecting 'flap'..he wears it under his helmet without any restiction & I'm thinking of doing the same. As far as I know he got it from an army-surplus shop locally. (sorry no photo).

That is what I am thinking. Thin white or light colored that goes under the helmet and protects the neck and ears but allows a good airflow in from the front.

Anyone know where I could find one in Chiang Mai or perhaps purchase on the net?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sunblock, baseball cap and sunglasses. I have a helmet but if I go out in the midday sun, I find it unbearably hot. Foolish I know, but perhaps Paul Hamon has offered a solution. All my riding is done in Bangkok and its environs, so little tree cover.

• 4 weeks later...

I was about to suggest an Akubra - but to cut the top out of it ! - but good idea. About helmets - do they really offer protection ? or do they just make you feel safer ?

If you have to ask that then really you might not have much to protect

http://theconversation.com/bike-helmets-an-emergency-doctors-perspective-13935

I was about to suggest an Akubra - but to cut the top out of it ! - but good idea. About helmets - do they really offer protection ? or do they just make you feel safer ?

Now, now ! Gently does it!

While that may indeed be true, I'm genuinely interested in this subject. I know that in other countries helmets are of course mandatory but I don't think so in Thailand. Of course any protection is a good idea, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the effectiveness of all but good quality helmets is a bit suspect. But I may be wrong - not being a very clever person and all that.

While that may indeed be true, I'm genuinely interested in this subject. I know that in other countries helmets are of course mandatory but I don't think so in Thailand. Of course any protection is a good idea, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the effectiveness of all but good quality helmets is a bit suspect. But I may be wrong - not being a very clever person and all that.

Imo a helmet of good quality offers some useful protection, when properly worn. I always wear a helmet when riding.

But it is also true, that there are situations possible where it would have been better not to wear a helmet. They are rarely, but there are some situations possible, where a helmet can cause more damage in case of accident, e.g. to the neck. Its the same problem as with safety belts in cars, in some rare cases they can cause injuries too.

But i made a decision for myself: Always wear helmet, always fasten safety belt.

Edited by wantan

yeah I shouldn't have said anything.

I definitely support peoples right to choose to wear or not. Once In a while I enjoy not wearing one.

Intelligent adults can do their own research and make their own choices

Helmets will definitely reduce the severity of scrapes and bruises. Unfortunately there have been no volunteers yet to test whether identical impacts will have different results in a helmeted vs unhelmeted rider. It would seem that helmets should offer protection in that rare instance when head contacts pavement but it hasn't been proven. The biggest problem I see here in Thailand is that the majority of riders don't adjust their helmet properly. I've seen riders whose straps are so loose that they can take the helmet off without undoing the straps. If you're not going to adjust the straps snugly, why bother wearing the helmet at all?

I wear my trusted camo hat with face zip up and it reduces the tanning drastically. It does get a little hot but occasional water on the top of the hat and happy days.

:D