A Conundrum?

britgent

Just before I left to go away for 3 months I tried kick starting my 2011 Yamaha Mio and it failed to start. I have had big bikes for many years and thought the usual routine of put the key to the 'start' position and then crack on would do it but no.

I have to have the centre stand down so the kick start can actually swing so it can't be the centre stand stopping the starting like some motorbikes stands do. I then thought it could be the fact that you have to hold in one of the brake levers to electrically start the bike so I did this and again no joy.

After being away 3 months I doubt the electric start will work due to the battery being flat/dead but then with the bike being an automatic I don't think I can jump it.

What with living out in the sticks I don't have easy access to a street mechanic and am worried I will be stranded when I get back.

Has anyone previous experience of this or any solutions or fix they can think of? I should have really bought some teeny jump leeds before I left but then I don't fancy peeling back layer after layer of plastic to get to the battery and I have nothing to jump it off.

It happen to my Yamaha Nuvo every time I park more than 1 week. I was told the fuel evaporate from the carburetor.

Put the bike on big stand....hold one of the brake lever( try both, I had a defective hand brake switch befotre check if it activate the brake light when you use them ), ignition on.....and I have to kick start between 20-25 time before it start again.

If you do all that...there must be another problem.

Good luck !

Yet to return home to the problem but back in a week and will try the hold both brake levers and kick over for 25 or so times. It really shouldn't be defective as it is only a year old and I am sure both brake levers are working the brake light but I am more than happy to be in the wrong if it means it is an easy fix.

I've had similar problems with my Nouvo after it stands for several months.

First, my congratulations on "conundrum" rather than the more common but incorrect "dilemma."

I got a charger so I can put a charge on the battery overnight when I return. That's been enough to get the electric automatic start, but many tries before it actually did start and kept going. Immediately off for a 20~30 km highway run.

I did need to do a kick start once when my battery failed (had to replace it). Centre stand, key on all the way, I did NOT hold the brake lever as the rear wheel needs to be able to turn as the engine starts up (no problem as it's off the ground on the stand). Took me several kicks, started up, and let it warm before heading off to the bike shop for that new battery.

Hope you get started no problem. Love the Yammie, but cold starts can be a problem. (or, as you so correctly say, conundrum)

I would suspect the battery is under the seat so no peeling back layer after layer of plastic.

Batteries are useless if they fall below 10.5 v for any length of time. Easiest solution as you have to get to 'the sticks" would be to buy a new battery en route and simply replace the old one.

Then get a cheap trickle charger and remove the battery and put somewhere on charge when you leave next time.

As for the boosting or jump starting option every village has a pickup with a drive in need of a beer. Just connect the two batteries and drink your beer.

• Like 1

Yes conundrum or more accurately a failing on my part with regards to admin or proper planning etc.

But yes the inaccurate description of topics on this site is a bit annoying. And the ones like 'emergency, need help now, alarming, shocking' are just borderline idiotic.

Does anybody know how I can get a users manual in english? I am sure in UK these things are printed in 20 different languages but nope not in good old los only the mother tongue is printed.

Download the pdf English manual here.

Still a problem, PM me and I can post it on SendSpace (too large as an email attachment).

• Like 2

Jusme that is very helpful thankyou!

The link is showing an english manual for a Yamaha Nuovo. I have a Yamaha Mio 125cc, these 2 bikes are similar I take it?

Whoops! Sorry 'bout that. Reading through the thread, I'd forgotten the beginning about yours being the Mio rather than the Nouvo.

The bikes are similar, but probably enough differences, particularly if you wanted to do something more complex than filling the tank or tyres, that getting the Mio manual in English would be preferable.

I initially got a Nouvo manual in Thai, and a large photocopy in English, from the Yamaha dealer in Bangkok where I bought the bike. (Yamaha Square, on Paha Yothin). I did scan it an have it available, and in discussion with another TV member, he got it up into the google docs section.

Perhaps someone else has the specific Mio manual in English and can scan it for you? Or maybe a larger dealer can help out, if you can get to one.

Might be worth making a separate thread asking for the manual.

• 2 weeks later...