Arabica Coffee Flower Honey

junglechef

The Royal Project is producing and selling raw honey that is cultivated in their coffee plantation. Is pretty amazing, very rich in color and flavor with a very strong coffee aftertaste that they appropriately describe as a "bite". Thought you foodies might be interested. I'm just starting to play with it but think it would be a great ingredient some sort of coffee cake or perhaps a BBQ sauce.

I've tried it and the flavour was ... ok.

Very thin consistency but cheap enough @ 160 bt per 600 ml's from Royal Project shop, Suthep Rd.

certainly not an authority on honey but we buy a fair amount of the Thai honey (wild; forest)made from the longan flowers and its the same price 160bt but for 1kg tesco or tops, I would describe it as quite viscous, certanly not thin....and never tasted it, as we dont eat it.

so like for like this arabica honey appears quite expensive then ?

Very thin consistency but cheap enough @ 160 bt per 600 ml's from Royal Project shop, Suthep Rd.

certainly not an authority on honey but we buy a fair amount of the Thai honey (wild; forest)made from the longan flowers and its the same price 160bt but for 1kg tesco or tops, I would describe it as quite viscous, certanly not thin....and never tasted it, as we dont eat it.

One of the problems with buying honey is that there is a lot of fraud out there. Not at the Royal Project, but elsewhere. There was an article in the NY Times or Wall Street Journal about so called filtered honey. The producers claim they have filtered the pollen out of the honey. There's no good reason to do this. Well, unless a good reason is disguising the fact that what you're offering isn't honey at all. I buy my honey either from the Royal Project or from my local market where a couple of vendors bring intact honeycombs and with a kind of mill contraption express the honey into 700 ( or 750?) ml used liquor bottles. They charge 100 baht.

One of the problems with buying honey is that there is a lot of fraud out there. Not at the Royal Project, but elsewhere. There was an article in the NY Times or Wall Street Journal about so called filtered honey. The producers claim they have filtered the pollen out of the honey. There's no good reason to do this. Well, unless a good reason is disguising the fact that what you're offering isn't honey at all. I buy my honey either from the Royal Project or from my local market where a couple of vendors bring intact honeycombs and with a kind of mill contraption express the honey into 700 ( or 750?) ml used liquor bottles. They charge 100 baht.

That's what we pay in our local markets and it's the real thing, as I know honey from many years in the past of robbing hives. This local honey we get is made of mixed flowers and is quite good.

I've often wished that you could get honey from the orange farms up north near Fang, but have heard that they spray too many pesticides and it kills the bees.

This coffee honey should be pesticide free, but I would assume it to be a mix of coffee and the surrounding forest canopy that the coffee is grown under.

Sorry gents but most of the "honey" sold at markets is not real. It is fake - primarily brown sugar and water with a small amount of honey. Those vendors that bib (who I know is a culinary expert and whose opinion I respect) talks about with the combs intact are mostly scammers from Chiang Dao. We know a family up there who told us the scammers mostly come from Chiang Dao and come in to the city to sell their fake honey. One time while this family were in town visiting us, they brought some real honey from a farm next to their land as a gift for us. The woman took some honey from a bottle I had bought from the guy who sits out front of Ruam Choke Market on weekends with the honeycomb contraption. She put it on a small plate, poured a small amount of hot water on it, swished it around and I was amazed to see the "honey" dissolve in water. She took another plate with the honey she brought, did the same thing, and the honey stayed in tact in the center of the plate. Maybe the vendor at bib's local market is honest but most are scammers. Royal Project is real honey of course.

Sorry gents but most of the "honey" sold at markets is not real. It is fake - primarily brown sugar and water with a small amount of honey. Those vendors that bib (who I know is a culinary expert and whose opinion I respect) talks about with the combs intact are mostly scammers from Chiang Dao. We know a family up there who told us the scammers mostly come from Chiang Dao and come in to the city to sell their fake honey. One time while this family were in town visiting us, they brought some real honey from a farm next to their land as a gift for us. The woman took some honey from a bottle I had bought from the guy who sits out front of Ruam Choke Market on weekends with the honeycomb contraption. She put it on a small plate, poured a small amount of hot water on it, swished it around and I was amazed to see the "honey" dissolve in water. She took another plate with the honey she brought, did the same thing, and the honey stayed in tact in the center of the plate. Maybe the vendor at bib's local market is honest but most are scammers. Royal Project is real honey of course.

Kinda like Maple syrup ain't it. How the imitation stuff is actually more common than the real deal. And SAD to say it, the fake actually taste better.

I suppose that's due to the manufacturer blending it to fit our taste.

Most of the honey used is going into cooking/blending where taste and smell is important, so fakes are a cheap alternative.

Kinda like Maple syrup ain't it. How the imitation stuff is actually more common than the real deal. And SAD to say it, the fake actually taste better.

I suppose that's due to the manufacturer blending it to fit our taste.

Most of the honey used is going into cooking/blending where taste and smell is important, so fakes are a cheap alternative.

I was buying the fake honey for more than a year from the vendors out front of the market and didn't know it was fake.sad.png It tasted and smelled really good, so yes you are right. I imagine they put some longan and flower essence in there as well.