Sexual Abstinence Urged On Thai Teens

george

Sexual abstinence urged on teens

BANGKOK: - A government research agency yesterday urged teenagers to practise sexual abstinence, rather than risk the consequences of promiscuity.

The Thailand Research Fund issued a warning against sex before marriage ahead of Valentine’s Day, which many young people associate with sex.

Amornwich Nakorntap, the fund’s education network manager, said teen sexual promiscuity could lead to 10 negative scenarios.

The foremost problem is unwanted pregnancy, he said. More than 100,000 teens have their education derailed after giving birth or having an abortion every year.

The second problem is that many young women suffer depression when they break up with boyfriends.

The spread of sexually transmitted disease is another problem many young people often overlook. In many countries, gonorrhoea’s highest infection rate is among 15to29yearolds.

And young students often become the target of gossip among their peers if their sexual trysts are publicised.

Amornwich said another problem was that many students became preoccupied with sex, and their performance in class nosedives.

Promiscuity might also lead to reduced selfesteem, because sex without the sanctity of marriage is seen as satisfying a lustful craving, rather than a true celebration of love.

Young men and women are prone to being stereotyped if they have multiple sexual partners, he said. And frequent switching of sexual partners could undermine the capability of a young person to build a lasting relationship.

Because of social taboos, many men still refuse to marry women who have had other sexual partners.

The final problem is that many married couples with a history of promiscuity tend not to trust one another, Amornwich said.

--The Nation 2004-02-12

Sexual abstinence urged on teens

BANGKOK: - A government research agency yesterday urged teenagers to practise sexual abstinence, rather than risk the consequences of promiscuity.

The Thailand Research Fund issued a warning against sex before marriage ahead of Valentine’s Day, which many young people associate with sex.

Amornwich Nakorntap, the fund’s education network manager, said teen sexual promiscuity could lead to 10 negative scenarios.

The foremost problem is unwanted pregnancy, he said. More than 100,000 teens have their education derailed after giving birth or having an abortion every year.

The second problem is that many young women suffer depression when they break up with boyfriends.

The spread of sexually transmitted disease is another problem many young people often overlook. In many countries, gonorrhoea’s highest infection rate is among 15to29yearolds.

And young students often become the target of gossip among their peers if their sexual trysts are publicised.

Amornwich said another problem was that many students became preoccupied with sex, and their performance in class nosedives.

Promiscuity might also lead to reduced selfesteem, because sex without the sanctity of marriage is seen as satisfying a lustful craving, rather than a true celebration of love.

Young men and women are prone to being stereotyped if they have multiple sexual partners, he said. And frequent switching of sexual partners could undermine the capability of a young person to build a lasting relationship.

Because of social taboos, many men still refuse to marry women who have had other sexual partners.

The final problem is that many married couples with a history of promiscuity tend not to trust one another, Amornwich said.

--The Nation 2004-02-12

Jezzzz, I now understand why I do not read The Nation,...

But is it The Nation only? :o

I thought that at that age, humans were supposed to be more under the influence of hormones, than at any other time of their short lives?

Why are there some many fools in power, or do the simply become fools when there get there?

I wish a "government research agency" had urged me not to be promiscuis when i was a teenager, Imagine how well rounded I would be now instead of happily married with a young daughter, building our first home and having a successful career.

I have so many regrets :o

Why are there some many fools in power, or do the simply become fools when there get there?[/i]

No, no, no. The fools are the ones "giving" them the power,...

But in poor countries, they have many "excuses" for doing that,...

But what about "rich" countries,...?