Thaksin Accused Of Spending Bt300 Million To Organise Friday Rally

george

Thaksin accused of spending Bt300 million to organise Friday rally

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy Saturday accused Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of spending at least Bt300 million to organise the Friday rally in his support.

Sondhi Limthongkul, a leading member of the PAD, said Thaksin spent Bt100 million to hire 3,000 buses and 5,000 vans to transport people from provinces to Sanam Luang on Friday and spent another Bt200 million to hire the people to attend the rally.

Sondhi said each bus was accompanied by a district official.

Sondhi said this indicated that Thaksin could spend a lot money to buy support from grassroots people to perpetuate power.

--The Nation 2006-03-04

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy Saturday accused Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of spending at least Bt300 million to organise the Friday rally in his support.

Sondhi Limthongkul, a leading member of the PAD, said Thaksin spent Bt100 million to hire 3,000 buses and 5,000 vans to transport people from provinces to Sanam Luang on Friday and spent another Bt200 million to hire the people to attend the rally.

Sondhi said this indicated that Thaksin could spend a lot money to buy support from grassroots people to perpetuate power.

--The Nation 2006-03-04

Isn't there a saying in Thailand - "You can lead a buffalo to water, but you can't make it drink" ?

--The Nation 2006-03-04

Is there anything he's not accused of by the opposition? It's getting to sound like the boy who cried wolf.

i suppose Sonthi has managed to run an audit on Thaksin's accounts in less than 24 hours.

amazing how well organised the sonthi/Nation alliance is, serving the public by telling the 'truths' about thaksin in record speed. bravo.

Well, i don't know about how much alltogether was spent, but motorcycle taxy drivers from my area in Bangkok got between 300 and 500 baht each for attending the rally. Thaksin's one.

Edited by ColPyat

Well, i don't know about how much alltogether was spent, but motorcycle taxy drivers from my area in Bangkok got between 300 and 500 baht each for attending the rally. Thaksin's one.

There you go, this guy will do anything to stay in power! He is like a man riding a tiger, it might prove very difficult to get off without incurring very serious consequences!

There you go, this guy will do anything to stay in power! He is like a man riding a tiger, it might prove very difficult to get off without incurring very serious consequences!

At least some of his 72 billion is trickling down to the poor. :o

Yes, but only whining, winging and complaining won't help much.

A proper strategy has to be worked out to counter him. First step should be to find grass roots support by building up some sort of presence in the villages. Why hasn't the opposition done that yet? TRT was founded in 1998, and straight away worked on the village angle in its populist campaign. The opposition still has not managed to have any sort of presence there.

It appears to me they are waiting until Thaksin's policies lead to the next collapse in order to take over from there.

Remember last completely failed election campaign of the Democrats under Banyat, Sanan's favourite boy? Instead of presenting themselves as an alternative with a proper program, attacking Thaksin where it hurts most they just begged the voters to let them have a few seats.

And if you think that Sondhi or Chamlong are any sort of alternative opposition you might find them far more xenophobic and right-wing nationalist than Thaksin, and especially in case of Sondhi at least as corrupt.

All the rallies have had people in attendance who were paid to be there....that is the way its done in Thailand......what a bunch of idiot foreigners!!!!

Are you Thai, or are you one of those Farang who are more Thai than the Thais?

All the rallies have had people in attendance who were paid to be there....that is the way its done in Thailand......what a bunch of idiot foreigners!!!!

I think the thing we're NOT idiots about, is this: The paid attendees' motivations for being there probably had nothing to do with whom they politically support. That makes such rallies a sham.

Form but no substance.

Five hundred baht is probably a good day's wage (or more) for a motorcycle taxi driver. I'd probably go to a party thrown by the Devil if I was paid a USA day's wage. No indication of my moral support, however.

Edited by toptuan

Surin province today is known for its annual Elephant Show, which usually takes place in the third week of November and attracts visitors from all over the world. It is 457 kilometers from Bangkok.

Newspaper photographer claimed that villagers in Surin province received 500 baht per person to participated in this rally.

post-27080-1141474239_thumb.jpg

Thai Rak Thai member making his election speech.:o

post-27080-1141474424_thumb.jpg

Villagers went to city hall before attend rally support Thaksin at Sanam Luang in Bangkok, 03 March 2006.:D

post-27080-1141474537_thumb.jpg

We want your fu_cking money.:D

post-27080-1141474624_thumb.jpg

Puyaiban,village leader,gave 500 baht per person to their villagers.:D

post-27080-1141474740_thumb.jpg

Money in politics is having a devastating effect on the culture of civic participation in this country.

post-27080-1141474805_thumb.jpg

Is money evil ? :D

post-27080-1141474891.jpeg

Why do people often want more money, no matter how much they have got? Why are

poor people in many cases more generous than rich people?:D

post-27080-1141474981_thumb.jpg

Can you please give me 1,000 baht next time ?:D

We are not silly.There's too much money in politics!! We need campaign finance reform. :D !!

Edited by asd

Don't worry ,the opposition did the same ...not sure what to say they all seem to be corrupt. But then again it is normal in many other Countries too..

rcm :o

Are you Thai, or are you one of those Farang who are more Thai than the Thais?

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

--The Nation 2006-03-04

200M? Thats about 1000 Baht per person? What a crock of sh*t. I wonder how many people really believe that. It sounds like Mr. Sonti is getting desperate. I don't know about other places, but the villagers up here don't need any money to support Thaksin. I suppose Thaksin sent all those postcards to himself too.

bb

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

Yep, that's the reason UBC couldnt deliver my UBC monthy program magazine. AllCAT's manpower went to supply Taksin with his postcards. No matter that my magazine is over a week due.

1000 per person? What's wrong with it? If you add up travelling expences, food, and freebees like Thai flags, one thousand can barely cover it. Let me think where would the balance go. Poverty fighting department? I thought not.

Not very diplomatic Chownah. You must make allowances for us idiot Farangs. In idiot Farangland, those Pu Yais would have trouble walking home with all that money stuffed up their <deleted>. In idiot farangland, we idiots don't vote for the people with the most money. Millions of us idiot farangs bled and died for real democracy. Shall I mention Thailand being governed, owned, leached by ethnic chinese? No, we won't go there. Grow up Chownah, your anger should be directed at "mai ben rai" Thais, not at idiot Farangs with opinions.

regards

Edited by teletiger

Cnownah, when you put all your money on poor people who dont't want, woulndn't wan't, and never will, take a minute and contemplate how their Prime Minister cheated all of them ,then,

All the country, all the middle class, all the upper class, all the caring classes , all will say: "Taksin - ouk pai."

What will you say then.

What will you say then. Cheated farmers should have a "cheated" say in how the country should have been run?

200M? Thats about 1000 Baht per person? What a crock of sh*t.

I can only repeat what i posted already: in my area in Bangkok motorcycle taxi drivers got between 300 and 500 baht to attend the Thaksin rally.

Hi there,

And will you also share with us how much Thaksin's opposition was paying for their Proteters? Oh yes they did pay too!

So all we do here is to find out who did more wrong than the other.....but in fact both of the DO wrong. Which concludes that it doesn't matter who will be Prime Minister since Thai Rak Thai is by far the strongest Party.

All this new snap Election does is to cost Money for the Country....and the Money they using isn't theirs...

200M? Thats about 1000 Baht per person? What a crock of sh*t.

I can only repeat what i posted already: in my area in Bangkok motorcycle taxi drivers got between 300 and 500 baht to attend the Thaksin rally.

Hi there,

And will you also share with us how much Thaksin's opposition was paying for their Proteters? Oh yes they did pay too!

So all we do here is to find out who did more wrong than the other.....but in fact both of the DO wrong. Which concludes that it doesn't matter who will be Prime Minister since Thai Rak Thai is by far the strongest Party.

All this new snap Election does is to cost Money for the Country....and the Money they using isn't theirs...

to be arguing about the 1000B/person average cost to bring people

in is just idiotic. do you think all those air con tour buses volunteered

their services?

without doubt there was probably participants on both sides that were

"recruited" monetarily. however, looking at the cross-section of

participants, it is not hard to figure out which side won the recruitment

battle. i went to two of the three opposition rallies. no tour busses,

no organizers shuttling people here and there, such as in the middle

of rachadamnern road when there was hardly enough people to fil

sanaam luang as during the friday rally.

and to pull this "the snap election costs money for the country line" -

what a joke. you think the corruption, entrenched business interests,

tax evasion haven't cost the country significantly?

democracy is not always pretty - deal with it.

--The Nation 2006-03-04

200M? Thats about 1000 Baht per person? What a crock of sh*t. I wonder how many people really believe that. It sounds like Mr. Sonti is getting desperate. I don't know about other places, but the villagers up here don't need any money to support Thaksin. I suppose Thaksin sent all those postcards to himself too.

bb

Finally getting there, Bryan. Or do you really believe that the Thai post-office delivered 0.5 mn postcards the day after the appeal went out, and a further 5.0mn , the following day ? Hel_l , round here, they can barely deliver , the following week. :o

By the way, not all of those cards are supporting the Head-Waiter, but he doesn't mention that, in his interminable broadcasts.

I would agree that many votes are purchased, in a Thai election, one of the few good points is that the villagers will get a few hundred baht, out of Dr T's 'spoof' election next month. Solving rural-poverty in the way he knows best. A friend in Hat-Yai tells me, the going rate there was 800B, by the way.

But just as many of the TRT-Rally got there on buses arranged by their village-headmen, so it was a point of pride amongst the anti-Thaksin people on 4th Feb, that they did not need to be paid to go, but spent their own money.

And I would bet that fewer of the TRT-buses were turned-round by the traffic-police, or had 'mysterious' multiple flat-tyres, just after being stopped. But hey - boys will be boys, right ?

My wife's family is from Phayao and Chiang Rai. They are not dirt farmers and they are not uneducated, other than Ma, they all have degrees. Of the 6 family members 5 like what Thaksin has done for the country even though they think he's a crook, they will vote for him for free. I'm sure if TRT offered them a few baht they'd take it, they know how the system works.

My wife on the other hand was educated away from the family in an urban environment and has totally different views. Although you could not bribe her to vote for TRT, she would probably take the money and run to the gold shop.

You really can't blame someone that makes 5000Bt a month and supports a family to jump at the chance to have a weekend in the big city on someone else and come home with a few bucks in their pocket, it's only human nature.

It would not surprise me in the least to see the same people at rallies for opposite groups. This should be a big tax free month for a lot of people in Thailand and maybe spreading some of wealth around to the poor is really not all that bad.

Not very diplomatic Chownah. You must make allowances for us idiot Farangs. In idiot Farangland, those Pu Yais would have trouble walking home with all that money stuffed up their <deleted>. In idiot farangland, we idiots don't vote for the people with the most money. Millions of us idiot farangs bled and died for real democracy. Shall I mention Thailand being governed, owned, leached by ethnic chinese? No, we won't go there. Grow up Chownah, your anger should be directed at "mai ben rai" Thais, not at idiot Farangs with opinions.

regards

I've got a diploma, doesn't that automatically make me diplomatic? Poliltical bosses in Farangland carry money in their <deleted>?...boy, remind me never to ask any of them if they can break a $20!!! I disagree with your statment that in Farangland you don't vote for the the people with the most money....in Farangland the only people who run for the office of bullmoose are the people with the most money....same as in Thailand.....my anger...ha....idiot farangs!!!!

So thousands of people are in on this conspiracy yet Sondhi the media mogul can't find a single piece of convincing evidence? This is getting ridiculous. He should start running the Enquirer in the States.

So thousands of people are in on this conspiracy yet Sondhi the media mogul can't find a single piece of convincing evidence? This is getting ridiculous. He should start running the Enquirer in the States.

Sondhi has had an axe to grind with Thaksin for a long time. He is using the guise of democracy and the constitution, just as Thaksin has to build his empire, to try and drive a stake through Thaksin's heart and hopefully extract his pound of flesh in the process for past bruisings. It's a very conceived plan by the opposition leaders to destroy Thaksin personally, not to restore a better democracy to the people or to repair the constitution as they keep trying to tell people.

It's all about who controls the money, nothing more nothing less.