Rip Currents

BigC

Sign says:

Please be careful!

"Rip currents" (water currents sucking out)

When you become aware that you're swimming in a zone of "rip currents", start swimming in parallel to the shore until you exit the zone, and then swim back to the shore. Do not swim against the current (emphasis!)

Not knowing the phenomenon can become a tiresome special adventure.

• Like 2

Sign says:

Please be careful!

When you become aware that you're swimming in a zone of "rip currents", start swimming in parallel to the shore until you exit the zone, and then swim back to the shore. Do not swim against the current (emphasis!)

May be the same in English language would help too !

• Like 1

Sign says:

Please be careful!

And Russian.

• Like 1

There are signs in part English and full English, .... several along with red flags dotted along Chawang beach... Surely they are self explanatory in what ever language blink.png

All images taken within the last week:

IMG_6130.jpg

People don't pay attention regardless... red flags all along Chawang beach rolleyes.gif

IMG_6126.JPG

North end beaches including Choeng Mon, Bophut, Maeman Ban Tai, Ban Po are all very calm.... and "safe" except perhaps for the jet ski's w00t.gif

IMG_6166.JPG

• Like 1

Here is Ban Po (or Bangpo or Ban Por !!! Depending on which sign you read whistling.gif ) beach today.... I am sure the other northern beaches the same...

Lamai beach was very rough last week, perhaps someone in Lamai can update on current conditions....thumbsup.gif

Ban Po today! not as empty of people as it looks, lots of people in the shade of the trees! wink.png ......(this was between 1 pm and 3 pm)

Ban%2520Por%2520beach%2520%2520Feb%252020%252C%25202556%2520BE%25202-012.JPG

• Like 1

Sign says:

Please be careful!

especially considering most thais never go in the water.

Sign says:

Please be careful!

And Russian.

why?

Sign says:

Please be careful!

And Russian.

why?

Because Russian/eastern European tourists probably outnumber naturally speaking English ones now.

Many Thais go in the sea but not usually on the highly populated beaches, usually the quieter ones and also you are likely to see them there after 5-6 pm when the sun is going down.

(Surprisingly the Thais are much better educated about sunburn/skin cancer than Caucasians).

Edited by yorkie100

What's so interesting with the different beaches at the moment is how with not that many kilometers apart, they are so different....

Lamai and Chawang areas being pretty rough at the moment.... where as other areas are so calm, you hardly think your on the same island.

Having said that, the north end beaches were a little rough a few weeks ago (Maenam, Ban Tai, etc) although nothing like the east side is presently.

I would imagine, the east side of KP & KT is much the same? On KP probably from Haad Rin to Bottle Beach....being rough, can anyone verify?

In a few weeks or so everything should be back to being calm and the turquoise images of paradise should be back thumbsup.gif although that does not help those booked in for the full stay, whether a week or two or more ...

That's what the tourist guide images always show... and of course it's not in the resorts best interest to warn people before booking.... that's why I never used to book a place, long term, except the first night, then find somewhere that suited.... (or if good would stay)

It's not that difficult to find a place even in high season in all price ranges... on any of the islands .... wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

The biggest rip current in Chaweng is at the end of the reef near Chaweng Garden Resort. As long as you are inside of the reef you'll be okay, unless you can't swim, but outside and near the reef all bets are off. If you don't fight it, the current will normally take you not far offshore and dump you in the "junkyard". I used to help teach scuba diving there, basic exercises, and the current and visibility are really bad this time of the year. If you have to go into the water, make sure that you are inside the reef. The jukyard got it's name because it was where you could find almost anything that was washed from the beach, snorkles, fins, facemasks, watches and even underwear.

You just can't help people who won't help themselves SJ.

Red flags on a beach anywhere in the world and it's pretty obvious what they mean in any language.

Unfortunately the attitude is: 'I'm on a fortnight's holiday once a year and no-one is going to stop me enjoying myself.'

i was told that it is normally the strong people who like to show off or think they can fight the sea are the ones most vanerable

Is it really that risky to go into the water if you don't go swimming far out? Say waist deep?

I had to Google what red flags mean; they usually signal Red Shirt activity where I live. :/

yes it can be dangerous. The rip will suck the water off the beach and out to sea. This means that you loose your footing. Once you are not standing - you are just flotsam!

Further out is safer! It is the build up of water in the shallow area that causes the rip. That is why people do not understand the danger.

• 10 months later...

You just can't help people who won't help themselves SJ.

Red flags on a beach anywhere in the world and it's pretty obvious what they mean in any language.

Unfortunately the attitude is: 'I'm on a fortnight's holiday once a year and no-one is going to stop me enjoying myself.'

i was told that it is normally the strong people who like to show off or think they can fight the sea are the ones most vanerable

Most victims of the waves and currents in Chaweng and Lamai each year are older people that get caught out and don't know what to do, besides the fact that they probably shouldn't have been in the water to start with. Not necessarily only the show off brigade.

Timely bump from the BBC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25546539

I think this is about a country a few thousand km south of Samui sound's like Australia. If Samui ever had waves and beaches like Australia it would be a mecca.

It nonetheless applies to Chaweng reef, especially at this time of year.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

I found that if you stay inside the reef that extends from Chaweng Garden Beach Resort to Cortu Malteze Resort you were relatively free from the rips, but the water is not that deep The rips outside of the reef especially just south of the Chaweng Garden Resort are very bad especially this time of the year. There is a place about 100 meters offshore that that divers used to call the "junk yard". It was amazing what you found deposited there! Be careful!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They want a beach rescue volunteer service backed by government but run by forangs who shall have the powers to physically stop people from going in

But the forangs don't want the police label. TATS wants this service as when a foreigner dies then they are left to deal with the mess

They want foreigners from all over the world that can communicate and patrol the beaches ( in their spare time )

If u r a fitness fanatic, ex boxer, experienced swimmer and have time on your hands then they would be appreciated.

Also if you have money to buy your own life saving supplies such as far as a jet ski

You can use it as a hobby and sit on the beaches and look at the peaches during the intervals

PM me if you are interested also if anyone had rescue or life guard training then these people might be the best captains.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

They want a beach rescue volunteer service backed by government but run by forangs who shall have the powers to physically stop people from going in But the forangs don't want the police label. TATS wants this service as when a foreigner dies then they are left to deal with the mess They want foreigners from all over the world that can communicate and patrol the beaches ( in their spare time ) If u r a fitness fanatic, ex boxer, experienced swimmer and have time on your hands then they would be appreciated. Also if you have money to buy your own life saving supplies such as far as a jet ski You can use it as a hobby and sit on the beaches and look at the peaches during the intervals PM me if you are interested also if anyone had rescue or life guard training then these people might be the best captains. Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

A ferang on a Jet Ski stands about as much chance on that beach as a hyena tip-toeing through lions on the Serengeti.

• Like 1

They want a beach rescue volunteer service backed by government but run by forangs who shall have the powers to physically stop people from going in But the forangs don't want the police label. TATS wants this service as when a foreigner dies then they are left to deal with the mess They want foreigners from all over the world that can communicate and patrol the beaches ( in their spare time ) If u r a fitness fanatic, ex boxer, experienced swimmer and have time on your hands then they would be appreciated. Also if you have money to buy your own life saving supplies such as far as a jet ski You can use it as a hobby and sit on the beaches and look at the peaches during the intervals PM me if you are interested also if anyone had rescue or life guard training then these people might be the best captains. Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

A ferang on a Jet Ski stands about as much chance on that beach as a hyena tip-toeing through lions on the Serengeti.

Are you having a laugh..?