Why Most Thai People Not Like Travel?

Sandman77

Perhaps if you started looking for Thai girlfriends in the teaching faculties of the best Thai universities, or in the boardrooms of the top 100 Thai corporations, or perhaps at your local art gallery, opera house or Bentley dealership, your experiences might be somewhat different; not that I'm insinuating anything at all about the kind of places you might be meeting them at now. Perhaps it's just time to change the type of woman you're dating if you find the overall experience dissatisfactory.

For a moment, I thought you were serious!

Something went very wrong here - because of the maintanance work perhaps?

The silly comment is NOT MINE, I only quoted it, followed by "for a moment etc..."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gf is an Issan farm girl. She loves travelling and has been away with me many times, including 2 months in London and a trip to the Swiss Alps.

You need to ask yourself who funded the trips?

Also if your Isaan farm girl can speak 3 languages one thing for sure is she did not learn them in her local Thai school!cheesy.gif

• Like 1

My gf is an Issan farm girl. She loves travelling and has been away with me many times, including 2 months in London and a trip to the Swiss Alps.

Also if your Isaan farm girl can speak 3 languages one thing for sure is she did not learn them in her local Thai school!cheesy.gif

I don't need to ask myself or her anything. It's completely irrelevant.

Fact is, she likes travel and is curious about the outside world.

Everything inside has already been explored.

Everything inside has already been explored.
Done to death in fact.

I can agree that people from any country that haven't tried a variety of strange (to them) foods don't want to eat anything except what they are used to. The first several trips I took with my husband, he ate nothing but Thai food. When I booked a trip to Penang my main interest was to try as many different foods as I could and I loathed the search for Thai food every meal. I solved this by showing him a TV show called "No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain". I explained that he is a famous chef and he travels around the world trying local food. We watched a Bangkok episode first to get him interested and then we watched the Penang episode. Seeing a "super-star" rave about laksa, mee gorang, and snails opened the door to trying new things. In Penang, we went to the same places Bourdain ate at and my husband tried everything (and yes, he took pictures at the different food stalls). Now before we go someplace new we watch some TV shows about it and he gets excited to go.

AWESOME. I love it! My friends visited from the states and watched the Bangkok episode and I had to proceed to find those places. Was successful for a few. Anyways, good on you for finding a way to help your husband expand his horizons and try new things, I am sure he doesn't regret it!

Most people only want to travel for pleasure to somewhere that has already caught their interest and therefore they have the desire to go see it etc. For example my wife loves watching law & order and a few other set in NYC programs (we live in Sydney BTW) and she really really wants to go see NYC as a result of seeing it on TV a lot. She also likes Royal Pains and wants to see the Hamptons while we are in NYC (we're planning a trip to the US at end of 2013).

If your TGF has not preconception about a place and has not had any hyping up she likely has not deisre to go there or realise what she is looking at.

Of course many are very lazy and just cant be bothered, but the above really plays a major part. I'll bet there is some temple or beach in THialand she has heard a lot baotu and seen on saboo TV that she wants to go to.

I've been on over 8 work sponsored trips with my Thai work colleagues (most are educated having Ph.D from foreign universities) to both foreign (China, Vietnam, Hungary and Korea) and domestic spots. The trips are always the same- go to 8 places per day, spending at most 20-30 minutes at any one place with four or five stops for food (always Thai or spicy Chinese). The idea is for them to get as many photo ops in different locations. Even at the panda preserve in China after they had seen about three pandas they spent the rest of the time taking pictures at different landmarks--no interest in learning about the pandas or seeing any of the educational exhibits.

We went to Krabi area and saw about 10 different little islands. Three were wonderful great for snorkeling the rest were sand and very few trees, mostly rocks. At the well known snorkeling spots the foreign teachers had barely gotten the snorkeling gear on and had been in the water for 10 minutes at most when they said time for next island. Instead of going in the water the Thais just took photos of themselves on each of these islands in front of every sand dune even though they looked very similar. Then they posted them to facebook.

t

The only time they spent more than one hour at a place was a building in Pattaya with pictures of various world sites- eiffel tower, Anghor Wat, etc. The idea is to take photos of yourself in the pictures and due to 3D effect it looks like you are actually there. (whomever thought up this concept knows the Thai market very well).They couldn't get enough of this. I think this would be a much better trip for them than to actually travel to the places in the pictures- they could be around their friends, still eat local Thai food and have hundreds of pictures to show.

When they travel to educational conferences abroad they carry a suitcase of noodles. They will not try local food other than spicy Chinese in China.

• Like 2

Never had any bad experience while travelling with the Missus both inside and outside Thailand.

Same here, loves to travel more so than me and there's rarely any problem with accommodation or transport and loves the food in farangland. I really think you need to look at the women you are associating with, op.

• Like 1

Find a more broad minded and cultured woman I guess.

That describes me to a tee, so long as the price is right.

Promise to show lots of interest & take minimal photos - unlike those farm hands.

Also, promise to obey yr every grunt like kept Thai girls do when at home.wai2.gif

Edited by Bokchoi

So, after 5 years of different women, you might actually want to turn this question around.

The issue may not just be the women you are choosing. Maybe the problem is you?

Edited by 55Jay

I think the main reason that thai's do not like to travel ( except in goups that have a thai guide) beside they cant get somtom and stcky rice) :-)

is they dont speak english and do not feel comfortable being in a foreign country

It is not an Asean thing. get a Filipino GF. They can't wait to leave their country:wai2:

Absolutely. Filipinas can't wait to go away on a trip with their BF ... taking 1000 picture along the way biggrin.png Edited by Razzler1973

Almost every thread you start is a generalisation or bashing of Thailandrolleyes.gif

Bar girls do not like to travel because they could be making money while you sleep or go shopping.

Bar girls do not like to stay in other country, because they feel isolated, no thai tv soap opera's no som tam, no friends, no drinks every night, no shopping and simply no fun

Working Thai girls, like to travel but worry about money which they do not have.

The educated and well off Thai girls love more than anything to travel and shop shop shop

good thing that, unlike the OP, you avoid generalizations at all costs.