Three Hurt In U S Helicopter Hard Landing In Thailand

webfact

Three hurt in US helicopter hard landing in Thailand

BANGKOK, Feb 20, 2013 (AFP) - A US Marine helicopter on Wednesday made a "hard landing" during military exercises in northern Thailand, seriously injuring some of the passengers, the US Embassy in Bangkok said.

newsjs

Embassy spokesman Walter Braunohler said there were no fatalities in the incident, which involved a CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter carrying US personnel taking part in the Cobra Gold joint military drills.

A source close to the exercises said two of the helicopter passengers were believed to need emergency surgery, while one sustained more minor injuries and a further three were unhurt.

Cobra Gold is the largest US multilateral exercise in the Asia-Pacific, bringing together thousands of troops from the US, Thailand and other countries for field training.

The annual drills are a key part of the US military relationship with Thailand, whose air bases and ports remain vital to the American military's logistical network in Asia.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-02-20

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the injured personnel make a full recovery, the fact that no one was killed is a testament to the pilot's skill and training, well done!

The pilot made a hard landing, they are trained not to, so the skill must have failed for a minute there.

I hope the injured personnel make a full recovery, the fact that no one was killed is a testament to the pilot's skill and training, well done!

The pilot made a hard landing, they are trained not to, so the skill must have failed for a minute there.

The hard landing may have been caused by a mechanical failure, military pilots are trained to a very high standard.

• Like 1

"A US Marine helicopter on Wednesday made a "hard landing""

No landing where all can basicly walk or be carried away from alive is a bad landing. Mind you, it's either the weather, those military pilots or just the bloody flying contraption itself, but helicopters seem somewhat less safe than other means of transportation (even though in these heli's you don't need to open a door to get rid of your cigar stomp)

• Like 1

------------------------

What the military refer to as a "hard landing" is little more than a controlled crash.

In general it is an unpowerd auto rotate landing.

And a Helicopter, even at the best of times, is a box you are in riding in with all of the weight and equipment (including the engne and rotor) ABOVE you

NOT a good place to be in a "hard landing".

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

Lots and lots of speculation, 'maybes', comments and judgements made about the Pilot's ability (or, rather, lack of it).

Do some people really still get a kick out of pretending to know something about helicopters?

Edited by BoonToong

Based on your own experience?

• Like 1

No landing where all can basicly walk or be carried away from alive is a bad landing. Mind you, it's either the weather, those military pilots or just the bloody flying contraption itself, but helicopters seem somewhat less safe than other means of transportation (even though in these heli's you don't need to open a door to get rid of your cigar stomp)

Statistics show that this is not actually true; but I agree, the common perception amongst the general public is that helicopters 'are dangerous'

------------------------

What the military refer to as a "hard landing" is little more than a controlled crash.

In general it is an unpowerd auto rotate landing.

And a Helicopter, even at the best of times, is a box you are in riding in with all of the weight and equipment (including the engne and rotor) ABOVE you

NOT a good place to be in a "hard landing".

Not true; there are many other things that might cause a heavy landing. Even an autorotative landing (that you refer to), if carried out correctly, can be conducted very smoothly

Statistics show that this is not actually true; but I agree, the common perception amongst the general public is that helicopters 'are dangerous'

I'd be interested in seeing those statistics. I have been a passenger in hundreds of helo flights and my impression has always been that the helo flight was much more dangerous then the plane flight to get there. Although I don't have any hard stats to back it up I am fairly sure that more oil workers die in helo crashes then are killed in airplane crashes.

I am sure the Thai military needs to remain ever ready at the beckon call of the US or is this a 'comply' order or else? What ever happened to Utapao revamp in favour of the US 'weather balloons'?

What are you possibly bleating on about....Cobra Gold has been a joint military exercise for decades and at the invitation of Thailand. It includes Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, USA, Japan and Korea. Thailand and The US have been treaty allies since 1833 and routinely train together across different military platforms.

You nailed it. Good to see some posters actually know what they are talking about!

I heard a continuation of the "any landing you can...." clique. Goes like, "any landing you can walk away from is a good landing..... any landing you can walk away from AND use the aircraft again, is a great landing!" thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Lots and lots of speculation, 'maybes', comments and judgements made about the Pilot's ability (or, rather, lack of it).

Do some people really still get a kick out of pretending to know something about helicopters?

As an Engineer servicing helicopters for 30 yrs, a hard landing may occur if the helicopter is below the safety Auto-rotation height of 300 feet this is death mans curve, also zero airspeed when this occurs...usually take off condition. Over weight condition while in the take off mode. Wind direction..down wind assures a slow climbing speed through the dead mans curve. Maintenance check to see if auto-revs are set while in flight to see if the rotor speed while descending stays in green range est 300 rpm of rotor speed indicator. Over gross will make the helicopter descend very quickly and a maintenance check will show this...adjust the pitch links on main rotor blades. Flying over water with floats on skids the pilot does not have a reference..like in a snow storm all white out..on ocean no vertical reference...the water comes up and decent must be slow and with caution... well enough..oh yes a tail rotor failure will cause the helicopter to Yaw and power must be cut..allowing helicopter to keep a forward decent and again the helicopter must be high enough to safely land. Any more questions I can address..lets see the accident report...Rotor Ron...

I was a wildland fire fighter in the U.S. and flew on many, many helecopters...I noticed that they never say a helecopter "crashed"..it is always refered to as a "hard landing". even if the ship is totaly destroyed and all are killed.....still a "hard landing".
  • Like 1

I'd be interested in seeing those statistics. I have been a passenger in hundreds of helo flights and my impression has always been that the helo flight was much more dangerous then the plane flight to get there. Although I don't have any hard stats to back it up I am fairly sure that more oil workers die in helo crashes then are killed in airplane crashes.

In order to answer this question, you would need to look at actual statistics, and a good place to find them is the NTSB website, which chronicles aircraft incidents nationwide. Here it is.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

• Like 1

Or far more likely a testament to the sturdy design and construction of the helicopter, a very high percentage of

aviation accidents are caused by pilot error, rather than mechanical failure. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I was thinking more of the statistics about transport in general, not just in aviation.

As an Engineer servicing helicopters for 30 yrs, a hard landing may occur if the helicopter is below the safety Auto-rotation height of 300 feet this is death mans curve, also zero airspeed when this occurs...usually take off condition. Over weight condition while in the take off mode. Wind direction..down wind assures a slow climbing speed through the dead mans curve. Maintenance check to see if auto-revs are set while in flight to see if the rotor speed while descending stays in green range est 300 rpm of rotor speed indicator. Over gross will make the helicopter descend very quickly and a maintenance check will show this...adjust the pitch links on main rotor blades. Flying over water with floats on skids the pilot does not have a reference..like in a snow storm all white out..on ocean no vertical reference...the water comes up and decent must be slow and with caution... well enough..oh yes a tail rotor failure will cause the helicopter to Yaw and power must be cut..allowing helicopter to keep a forward decent and again the helicopter must be high enough to safely land. Any more questions I can address..lets see the accident report...Rotor Ron...

Hi Ron, you have covered a lot of the possible causes of a heavy landing but, with the greatest of respect (I was an engineer before becoming a pilot), some of the stuff you have described is not quite accurate. Always good to hear another expert opinion though.

The reason some of the earlier posts illuminated my 'amber cautions' is because, all too often, people speculate about how the Pilot might have messed up and there really is no need for it. I'm all for debate and discussion based on qualified judgements and opinions, but speculation based on knowledge gained in a bar or from a Google search really can be done without.

Happy to conduct some basic instruction in aerodynamics for anyone willing to pay me thumbsup.gif

• Like 1