The Train Bkk To Surin

Waterloo

My gf catches it every so often . She goes o'night in a sleeper . She tells me the third class is often party class with lots of whiskey and music, especially around public holidays. Not a good carriage if don't want to be a part of it and so the sleeper bunks are worth that little bit extra.

There're trains with sleeper. Don't need air when traveling in the evening. Bkk. to Surin around 9 hours and you'll be satisfied with the service. There's always at least one train with sleeper in the evening. Book your ticket in advance, otherwise you won't get one.

One leaves Bkk at 18.58, if not late. And many trains are late.wai2.gif .

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Take the 10am (ish) train. It's a fantastic trip especially when you leave Saraburi and start to head up to the Khorat Plateau. The scenery is stunning at times if you can look away from the piles of litter by the tracks.

A 2nd class non AC ticket is the best bet but make sure you get a window seat on the left hand side of the train.

• Like 1

I have taken the train many times but in recent times I have preferred to make the journey via bus Nakhonchai Air non stop BKK to Surin.

As for the train there are those who prefer the sleeper. This I have no experience of but would suggest that should this be your choice you book a sleeping berth.

During the day there are 2 'quick' trains. One departs at 05.45 and arrives in Surin a little after 12.00 if on time - some food is provided in the price - just after departing BBK (coffee and cake) and then a spot of lunch around Korat.

The other 'quick' train departs 10.00 and arrives around 17.00. Food can be ordered on the train again served around Korat.

I would strongly recommend booking in advance for either of these two trains - 2nd class. less than 500baht.

Please note it can get quite cold on these trains

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the really usefull feed back so far, just an update & a little more advice.

Talking it over with the wife last night, this trip she will be heading out before me with the kids so they can spend some quality time with her mother.

As a result when I fly in I will catch the Nok Air flight to Buriram, (don't fancy the train after 12 hours on the plane from the UK) & we will catch the train from Surin to BKK as a family.

Any tips on the train with a one year old & a three year old in tow, probably have the wifes parents as well (fancy a couple of days in BKK at the end of the trip).

Heavey Drinker which side of the train do we want to sit if we travelling towards BKK & I am sitting facing forward & which train would you take?

Always done this journey by pick-up truck or mini-bus before & we only had one child last time, fancy seeing the country from a different angle this time so a 9 hour journey is not off putting.

I understand the train takes a completely different route to the road.

"Hi Guys Thanks for all the really usefull feed back so far, just an update & a little more advice. Talking it over with the wife last night, this trip she will be heading out before me with the kids so they can spend some quality time with her mother. As a result when I fly in I will catch the Nok Air flight to Buriram, (don't fancy the train after 12 hours on the plane from the UK) & we will catch the train from Surin to BKK as a family. Any tips on the train with a one year old & a three year old in tow, probably have the wifes parents as well (fancy a couple of days in BKK at the end of the trip). Heavey Drinker which side of the train do we want to sit if we travelling towards BKK & I am sitting facing forward & which train would you take? Always done this journey by pick-up truck or mini-bus before & we only had one child last time, fancy seeing the country from a different angle this time so a 9 hour journey is not off putting. I understand the train takes a completely different route to the road."

With a one year old and a three year old, I would opt for 1st class. You can get adjoining staterooms with a door that opens between them. When the 3 Yr old gets restless, you will have the coridor for him to walk/run to work off the steam. No choice on which side to sit. Sleep on the upper bunk and the wife gets the kids! thumbsup.gif I forget which side you face but I know that depending on the direction you are traveling BKK-CNX or CNX-BKK the direction changes, also going one way you are behind the baggage car and the other way you are the last car on the train.

Edited by Diablo Bob

"Hi Guys Thanks for all the really usefull feed back so far, just an update & a little more advice. Talking it over with the wife last night, this trip she will be heading out before me with the kids so they can spend some quality time with her mother. As a result when I fly in I will catch the Nok Air flight to Buriram, (don't fancy the train after 12 hours on the plane from the UK) & we will catch the train from Surin to BKK as a family. Any tips on the train with a one year old & a three year old in tow, probably have the wifes parents as well (fancy a couple of days in BKK at the end of the trip). Heavey Drinker which side of the train do we want to sit if we travelling towards BKK & I am sitting facing forward & which train would you take? Always done this journey by pick-up truck or mini-bus before & we only had one child last time, fancy seeing the country from a different angle this time so a 9 hour journey is not off putting. I understand the train takes a completely different route to the road."

With a one year old and a three year old, I would opt for 1st class. You can get adjoining staterooms with a door that opens between them. When the 3 Yr old gets restless, you will have the coridor for him to walk/run to work off the steam. No choice on which side to sit. Sleep on the upper bunk and the wife gets the kids! thumbsup.gif I forget which side you face but I know that depending on the direction you are traveling BKK-CNX or CNX-BKK the direction changes, also going one way you are behind the baggage car and the other way you are the last car on the train.

Sounds a nice Idea but if I read the timetable you posted earlier correctly if we want to travel in during the day & appreciate the country side there are only 2 choices of train & they only have 2nd/3rd class seats

Both trains start in Ubon Ratchathani arriving in Surin @ 09.35 / 11.30 terminating in BKK @ 18.05 / 20.50

Still a trains got to be better with a 3 year old for 9 hours than a pick-up truck

Edited by Waterloo