How Do The Common Thai Look On Other People With Overweight?

Welder

I talked about this with several people, mostly other men in the midh fourties visiting Patong or Pattaya and they all seems to think that people with overweigt are a sign of welth and that common thais doesn't really care about how fat some people are. Many of them seems to think that overweight people is something they look up too and respect.

I am not so sure about that. I think it is something in the overweight peoples mind, something that they might have been told by some of the ladies that works in the bardistricts.

I talked to a wife to a friend of mine and she think that being overweight is a sign of not having respect of yourself and that you should keep yourself as fit as possible, thinking about what you are eating and do some exercise if necesary. Not for being afraid of what other people might say but for your own good.

She and other woman that I know use to pinch me and point out that I have been larger since the last time but as they are my friends I am pretty sure that they like me for who I am and not for the way I look. Still they are ordering food for me and let me know that I should think about both what I eat and my health.

Over the years I see a lot of thais that are putting on some weight, both children and adults and it worries me if this is going to be another country that starts to get a population with more and more overweight as in Europe and of course the US.

So does anyone know how the common thai look on people with overweight?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Asians are more prone to obesity, and obesity-related diseases than Caucasians and Africans. Yet obesity seems to be more accepted, less regarded as ugly and a bottomless source of conditions, even desirable especially for babies. The future is clear cut, Asians end up as the fattest people on the planet. Except for some pockets like the Japanese, who combat it with regulations. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/09/big-government-small-bellies-what-japan-can-teach-us-about-fighting-fat/261940/

• Like 1

Obesity is most certainly not regarded as being something to be looked up to or admired by ordinary Thais.

These people are particularly image-conscious; one only has to observe their open preening and posing in any reflective surface.

Yes, they can more or less accept people as they are aesthetically but ultimately, obesity is considered to be very undesirable.

• Like 2

The culture might be changing as Thais are getting fatter for sure.

I think it might be hard to pin this down, what do Thais think about fat.

Which Thais?

Yes fat babies might be seen as a sign of being able to take care of them by many.

I have heard that Thais who have lived abroad and gained weight seriously dread returning to Thailand because they know they will be heavily teased by their friends about the weight gain.

• Like 1

Obesity is a real social and most importantly a self-image issue. In my opinion it's not so much the medical problem, as we can be unhealthy and happy, but I do believe that many obese people are unhappy.

I have been around obese people as well as skinny people, and I cannot but confirm that obesity can sometime make people less social and less open to the world, ashamed and/or scared. I don't say all, but certainly a few of them are experiencing this because of their obesity.

Solving obesity is something I've been reading about for the past few years and I can say it is really difficult. There are however great methods to loose weight though, it's definitely not mission impossible to lose 30, 50 or even 80 Kg within a few months, there's this amazing method from this French guy Michel Montignac which is based on the Glycemic Index of the nutriments rather than their Calorific value: you can eat as much meat as you want, as much fat as you want, and many fruits and vegetables, the quantity is not an accounted factor here but only the mixing of the nutriments: rice/pasta/noodles are not to be mixed together with meat/fat. It's that simple. Eat meat with vegetables, but avoid mixing them with rice.

A friend of mine lost almost 40 Kg in about 3 - 4 months using this technique, he said he was never hungry as he was eating all day as much as he wanted, lots of meat and fish, lots of fruits, vegetables, almonds, nuts, dark chocolate, etc. he has never had such a diverse diet before he said! He was known to accumulate fast foods days after days, he was really unhealthy!

Unfortunately he gained back some of that weight that he lost so quickly, but that's a psychological issue I believe because he started to eat fast food again. Anyway he was really transformed, from a really fat guy to a skinny handsome man in a few months only, and he stayed skinny for almost 2 years before gaining weight again! but go figure there's something behind the nutrition, something psychological that pushes him to find happiness in junk food...

Weight loss teas/coffees are significant profit makers.

Laxatives are actually advertised on television as helping to keep you slim.

Fly by night weight loss "clinics" with their magic pills and injections attract a lot of mugs customers.

That should tell you that being overweight is not considered desirable.

Weight loss teas/coffees are significant profit makers.

Laxatives are actually advertised on television as helping to keep you slim.

Fly by night weight loss "clinics" with their magic pills and injections attract a lot of mugs customers.

That should tell you that being overweight is not considered desirable.

Yeah absolutely. But I think it's almost all about aesthetics, not health concerns here. As a generality, I find Thai culture extremely NOT health conscious. Those laxatives and teas are a perfect example. They are very unhealthy to use in the long term.

In the west, of course appearance and sex appeal are very big concerns but I think health issues are a much bigger part of it there.

Edited by Jingthing

Those friends in Patong or Pattaya are victims of wishful thinking. Either than or the affect of their ATM cards has clouded their thinking.

Thai women, and I mean the slender good looking ones, don't want an obese man. If they accept one, it is for money, period.

They know what fat looks like and they also know what a fit, good looking guy looks like. Ask them if they know who Brad Pitt is. They do.

Now, a woman who has few options due to her own looks, age, children, etc. is another story about what she will accept, but I don't think that's what we're talking about.

There's nowt wrong with being fat especially if you can mix it with plenty of sharp, crisp (and dry) flatulence.

The Thais'll love you OP...

Crisp and dry flatulence? Surely an oxymoron? rolleyes.gif

Now I'm in my mid 40s, it's becoming one....

I'm sorry but I don't believe that farts become soggier the older you get. Farts are always soggy - or is it just me? w00t.gif

There's nowt wrong with being fat especially if you can mix it with plenty of sharp, crisp (and dry) flatulence.

The Thais'll love you OP...

Crisp and dry flatulence? Surely an oxymoron? rolleyes.gif

Now I'm in my mid 40s, it's becoming one....

I'm sorry but I don't believe that farts become soggier the older you get. Farts are always soggy - or is it just me? w00t.gif

They do. Let's just leave it there.

• Like 1

In the interests of science ... could you please describe ... overweight

Where the subject spoken about fit below?

1-s2.0-S0165178102001385-gr1.gif

My Thai wife say's overweight or obese people are "fat b'stards", she has picked up some terribly common English living in the UK.biggrin.png

Guess she's been watching this. biggrin.png

When I came to Thailand I was pretty skinny and the Thais thought that was wrong and something wrong with me. Now I've gained, not overall fat per se, but my wife is happier about it. Guess it's a matter of degree.

• Like 1

I think that whilst a few extra pounds may be tolerated as being "prosperous", a lot of thais would view morbid obesity as the rest of us would. Here's a translation:

papa, me like big man = you are a revolting fat slob, but I'll just focus on the job at hand and provide a favourable (paid) opinion of morbidly obese people

:P:lol:

Edited by doggie888888

My Thai wife say's overweight or obese people are "fat b'stards", she has picked up some terribly common English living in the UK.biggrin.png

my wife says the same , infact she,s just shouted to me , come on fat b/stard your full english breakfasts ready with extra toast ,

i,ve know idea who she,s talking to i,m only 140kg .....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I can tell you one thing after i lost some weight the ladies look at me a lot more positive. Before I was a 5 at David' his images now im 2 but with muscles. I get a lot more attention and positive remarks telling me i should have changed it years ago. These are of course not ladies of the night but girls i have known a long time friends of my wife. They are all saying their guys are getting fatter and worse while i'm improving.

They don't look down on fat per se but don't prefer it. For your reference these are BKK woman, who make their own living not dependent on the guys. You never bite the hand that feeds you.. you know.

But I would not loose weight for the ladies, i would do it for your own health. (you can find enough ladies to say you look good anyway if you have a fat wallet too) There are so many health related issue's, that said you can be skinny and fat too (meaning not overweight but absolutely no muscles) that is bad too. Just eat healthy, moderate on alcohol (yes heresy here) and do some exercise that you like (else you get bored) and then slowly you will loose weight.

But its an lifestyle change not a diet.

• Like 1

my wife says the same , infact she,s just shouted to me , come on fat b/stard your full english breakfasts ready with extra toast ,

i,ve know idea who she,s talking to i,m only 140kg .....coffee1.gif

140kg .. wow depending on your height(and muscle mass) you are truly a fat b.. (no insult meant). If you are still in good health up to you.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

I never see fat middle aged tattoed westerners on the Thai soap operas that are televised every day

Correct, you also don't see many fat guys there getting the girls. That you don't see westerners there is normal as its Asian produced tv not only in Thailand. But you just don't see many asian fat guys being adored there either.