Which Wireless Dsl Modem Router?

xty

I'm about to change my SpeedTouch USB DSL modem. It's working very well actually but I just want flexibility of wireless (note that my printer supports wi-fi too) and probably share the bandwidth with my neighbour friends in the apartment building (wired or wireless).

Few months ago I've made a list of some modems (Linksys, SMC, Zyxel, Aztech, ...) but just wondering if there's any latest update on which one is "the best" in terms of:

- wi-fi g/b

- 4 ethernet ports

- web based admin

- supports all the protocols available, including dynamic DNS

- security (WEP, WPA, MAC address, ...)

- support ADSL 2+ for future

- very important, strongest signal over the walls

- most imporant, speedy & reliable (don't hang too many, etc)

- good price, available at pantip or fortune

I don't know whether there are better ones but I am very happy with my Linksys Wireless-G WAG54Gv2 firmware 1.01.27Beta.

Desktop connected to the 4-port switch and my laptop connected via Intel PRO/wireless 2200 BG to the Linksys.

I used NetStumbler (freeware) to analyse my wireless connection. Good results. http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/netst...aller_0_4_0.exe

You want to build a 802.11 network. Keep in mind that not only your access point is important but also the wireless network interfaces on the stations of your network.

Good luck.

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

I'm about to change my SpeedTouch USB DSL modem. It's working very well actually but I just want flexibility of wireless (note that my printer supports wi-fi too) and probably share the bandwidth with my neighbour friends in the apartment building (wired or wireless).

Few months ago I've made a list of some modems (Linksys, SMC, Zyxel, Aztech, ...) but just wondering if there's any latest update on which one is "the best" in terms of:

- wi-fi g/b

- 4 ethernet ports

- web based admin

Thats what i got

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834GT.php

bought it for 4900 THB at Pantip a month ago,

am very happy with it, very easy to set up and also works on Linux

rcm

I got a Zyxel 660 wireless router. At first, it wouldn't work with BuddyBB, but a firmware update fixed that. However, it also won't work with my dad's old centrino notebook... and the reason is that it's wireless-G only, no wireless-B, which the original centrinos used, and it's really idiotic that it doesn't support both... most do.

I used to like Zyxels in the past (many years ago), but their track record with me has been abyssmal.

I have the Compex Netpassage 28G at home, It has 4 USB Ports and 4 Lan Ports.

Its the greatest peice of Junk that you could believe, I have never held a wireless signal or more than 10 minutes, so I use one of the Lan ports and I don't use the wireless facilities at all.

At Work I have the D-Link something, brilliant, doesn't miss a beat.

You can probably imagine there is gong to be soome hardware upgraded at home soon and the Compex will go in the bin, maybe after I drive the car over it. This is after the second replacement of the same Router. So Stumonster, I am happy to see that yours works.

I don't know whether there are better ones but I am very happy with my Linksys Wireless-G WAG54Gv2 firmware 1.01.27Beta.

Desktop connected to the 4-port switch and my laptop connected via Intel PRO/wireless 2200 BG to the Linksys.

I used NetStumbler (freeware) to analyse my wireless connection. Good results. http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/netst...aller_0_4_0.exe

You want to build a 802.11 network. Keep in mind that not only your access point is important but also the wireless network interfaces on the stations of your network.

Good luck.

Petch01

i agree totally

i buy this router ,the same model 1 week ago and my connection is become better

anythin easy and useful

is the best for me

5100bath,expensive,but fantastic

where you find this version of firmware?i look in the site of linksys but i not see any firmware uopgrade :o

i buy and inside have firmware version1.01.15,and i have also registered my product

I'm using HP Compaq laptop which support b/g of Broadcom (not Centrino). Hopefully it will work fine with those AP/routers. I got also another HP Compaq laptop (from office) which again not Centrino but is working excellent in the office (using Cisco APs).

hi'

two names come to mind, mentionned already ; negear and linksys(cisco), any 4 ports and wifi with firewall integrated would do!

just don't add a softare firewall, you'll get conflict :o

francois

hi'

two names come to mind, mentionned already ; negear and linksys(cisco), any 4 ports and wifi with firewall integrated would do!

just don't add a softare firewall, you'll get conflict :o

francois

I don't think so,in my case

i use linksys cisco system router(but try allready dlink and aztech and hyundai) together sygate pro and anythings work perfectly

usually,the firewall of router help about incoming requests but not also about outgoing pack,so the software firewall help you to control also what go offside from your pc and where

you must to spend a little bit time for configure,off course,but the result in many case is excellent :D

Edited by giulio

I almost forgot the important one. Have your products failed, how is the support/service from reseller/distributor of those products you have?

My previous D-link failed and having the problem back to back with this piece of junk i didn't bother to ask for Support. My Netgear didn't have any problems at all and installing it is really very easy . So can't tell you how the support is but it works great,

rcm :o

At Work I have the D-Link something, brilliant, doesn't miss a beat.

We have installed several D-Link wireless systems fo seberal of our clients and they are completely content with them.

Ourselves we have the hardwired version and again completely happy.

Regards,

hi'

just don't add a softare firewall, you'll get conflict :D

francois

I don't think so,in my case

i use linksys cisco system router(but try allready dlink and aztech and hyundai) together sygate pro and anythings work perfectly

usually,the firewall of router help about incoming requests but not also about outgoing pack,so the software firewall help you to control also what go offside from your pc and where

you must to spend a little bit time for configure,off course,but the result in many case is excellent :D

hi'

you say that seagate firewall works along with the hardware firewall on cisco

routeur(built by linksys) :o

have to try this one :D

francois

hi'

downloaded seagate perrso firewall, intalled it, and it WORKS :D

first one to be fully compatible with a cisco harware firewall :o

I still have a good 840kb/s down and a 80kb/s up, roughly a 6mb line :D

good stuff ... deserved to be tried;)

simple and details are usefull for once :D

easy to use for anyone!

francois

hi'

downloaded seagate perrso firewall, intalled it, and it WORKS :D

first one to be fully compatible with a cisco harware firewall :D

I still have a good 840kb/s down and a 80kb/s up, roughly a 6mb line :D

good stuff ... deserved to be tried;)

simple and details are usefull for once :D

easy to use for anyone!

francois

good!

SYGATE personal firewall now yopu can find only here because the new version is symantichezzed :D:o

try and download here:

http://207.33.111.31/spf/spf5.5b2710.exe

ciao,i hope this is helpfull for you

Edited by giulio

I got a Zyxel 660 wireless router. At first, it wouldn't work with BuddyBB, but a firmware update fixed that. However, it also won't work with my dad's old centrino notebook... and the reason is that it's wireless-G only, no wireless-B, which the original centrinos used, and it's really idiotic that it doesn't support both... most do.

I used to like Zyxels in the past (many years ago), but their track record with me has been abyssmal.

I recently bought a Zykel 600 series 'ASDL2+ Access Router' with the word 'Router' in big letters on allsides of the box, well number 1 it only had one port so in my book does not qualify for the term Router, and number two the supplied disc bore no relationship to the 'Quick start instruction manual' and I had to pay a local to put it in.

Now I have to go and buy a proper router, as usual a another expensive cheap deal!!

Edited by spacebass

- wi-fi g/b

- 4 ethernet ports

- web based admin

Whatever you do, do NOT get D-Link DI-624. It has a wireless range of less than 10 feet.