Bus Service Now Available Directly From Bangkok To Cambodia

Battambang to PP in 4 hours?? In a Ferrari maybe!! laugh.png

http://maps.google.com/

330 km, 80 km/h average, should be possible.

Not change the car (Ferrariblink.png ), change the driver in the car! tongue.png

I drive now, after the "Tax pay back" possibility for "First time car owners" the small Nissan March of my GF,

in (Spring?) light green so they see me better!

And, I am most time the quickest in that sure not "Powerful car." wink.png

(Before, Ford Ranger 10 years, Toyota Vigo (163 HP) 6 years.)

Edited by ALFREDO

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Cambodia and Thailand drive on different sides of the road, the bus is going to have wheel on the wrong side for part of the journey (probably the Camb segment) which is something of a safety issue....

After living in the U.S. most of my life, I have had many opportunites to drive cars in the U.S setup to drive in England. It works. Cars still turn left or right. Just have to pay attention is all.

I think the problems can occur when you alone in the car and want to overtake another car, truck, special lorry or bus on a normal,

one lane per direction-country road, when you sit on the wrong side of the road.

Sure, nearly no problem on US-Highways.

Difficult to compare US roads and Cambodian roads. wink.png

I drove a LH drive here for more than 4 years some 30 years ago and it had that disadvantage (if you did not have a passenger to let you know if clear for passing) but on many roads here (two lanes/more in one direction) it had the advantage in sneaking along the shoulder during traffic jams.

• Like 1

11 hours? I doubt it. I've done that route many times in a mini-van and it was around 14 hours, and that was hauling ass. Being that a air-con bus to Sisaket is 8 hours, there's just no way. If they do, I will be super impressed. I will give this one a shot for sure.

I wonder if the bus will stop before the border and try to get the passengers to buy a Cambodian visa that they don't need--like the tuk tuks do near Poipet.

Thais do not need a Visa for up to 2 weeks, but Falangs-Barangs need! coffee1.gif

Actually its 15 days

When i went in with my daughter, that's what she got in July on her Thai passport,

overstayed 4 days $20 when we left.

Cambodians get the same as Farangs at the border coming to Thailand (15 days overland) or fly in get 30

That tax back thing was one of the worst things they could have done.

1. put way to many new drivers in their own cars on the road and has increased the already bad traffic and made it worse.

.....Latest estimates for purchases under the scheme across Thailand run as high as 1.2 million vehicles, with the offer due to expire at the end of 2012.

2. will put many Thai's in debt that they can not afford

look for lots of 1 year old cars for sale this low season

Since Cambodia and Thailand drive on different sides of the road, the bus is going to have wheel on the wrong side for part of the journey (probably the Camb segment) which is something of a safety issue....

Yes, it is. The solution would be to campaign for all countries in continental ASEAN to drive on the same side of the road. While this is unlikely, the issue becomes more interesting when we expand the area beyond ASEAN (as surely road transport and connectivity will improve over the next decades): India drives on the left while China drives on the right.

So, no way all the continental countries in Europa and Asia will drive on the same side of the road. We'll have to deal with this another way. But forbidding it is not reasonable - we have UK and Irish buses and trucks in continental Europe.

In the 1970s, trucks in Italy had the steering wheel on the right-hand side, even though they drove in the right lane. They weren't supposed to overtake.

One more remark about this bus service: It is not meant for visa runners, but for people who want to have an alternative to flying.

The whole idea started with the Cross-Border Transport Agreement (CBTA) that both Thailand and Cambodia signed but so far failed to implement at their common border. Last year in June, the Thai and Cambodian sides signed an follow-up agreement to issue 40 licences each for direct truck and bus services. This article is the first sign that anything happened.

The article does not say how the border issue is handled, and the questions posed are reasonable. The big issue here is that the Thai bus can now enter Cambodia; there is no compulsory change of buses at the border any more. I don't know whether it is more convenient for passengers than changing the bus, but it's a first step. I am looking for Thai trucking companies to receive licences, as this will have a big positive effect on cross-border trade.

Actually its 15 days

Cambodians get the same as Farangs at the border coming to Thailand (15 days overland) or fly in get 30

If you say 15 days or 2 weeks and the arrival day, is a matter of interpretation.

If you arrive 1st of the month you have to leave, 15 of the month, but that is not full 15 - 24 hour days.

15 full days each 24 hours, would be the 16. day of the month.

I had my Cambodian GF several times in TH with the new Visa exemption possibility, she always arrived with plane. Always got only 14/15 days.

The "Car Tax pay back" program was good! I drive now a new car and 60 or 65.000.- Baht cheaper and more early, than what I have thought! thumbsup.gif

Would not be surprised to see vehicle changes at the border/

Wrong. The idea of a cross-border bus is that you don't have to change vehicles at the border - otherwise this bus service wouldn't be a cross border service! There are currently numerous cross-border services between Thailand and Laos, which also have to drive on the "wrong" side of the road part of the way. Such services have been available for a few years now and there are no problems with this. Also, if anyone has ever been to Myanmar about 80-90% of vehicles have their steering wheels on the right hand side, yet Myanmar also drives on the right. This includes many buses and for the most part there are no problems with this arrangement.

Actually its 15 days

If you say 15 days or 2 weeks and the arrival day, is a matter of interpretation.

If you arrive 1st of the month you have to leave, 15 of the month, but that is not full 15 - 24 hour days.

I had my Cambodian GF several times in TH with the new Visa exemption possibility, she always arrived with plane. Always got only 14/15 days.

The "Car Tax pay back" program was good! I drive now a new car and 60 or 65.000.- Baht cheaper and more early, than what I have thought! thumbsup.gif

Wrong. Cambodians get only 14 days, technically 13 if you count the day of arrival (not 15, there is a difference) both arriving by air and by land.

http://maps.google.com/

330 km, 80 km/h average, should be possible.

Not change the car (Ferrariblink.png ), change the driver in the car! tongue.png

I drive now, after the "Tax pay back" possibility for "First time car owners" the small Nissan March of my GF,

in (Spring?) light green so they see me better!

And, I am most time the quickest in that sure not "Powerful car." wink.png

(Before, Ford Ranger 10 years, Toyota Vigo (163 HP) 6 years.)

I've done Poipet to Phnom Penh in exactly 4 hours in an American Camry taxi with driver. The driver nearly hit 2 villagers and one cow and laughed every time we nearly hit those 3 living beings. We hit speeds of over 130km/h for much of the journey and it was getting dark. Scary stuff indeed but do note that local taxi drivers DO indeed make this journey in 4 hours, so Battambang to Phnom Penh takes just 2.5-3 hours!

Actually its 15 days

Wrong. Cambodians get only 14 days, technically 13 if you count the day of arrival (not 15, there is a difference) both arriving by air and by land.

So arrive on the 1. of the month, have to leave on the 14th

Ok, I will check it out next time, when I have that possibility with my Cambodian GF, wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I've done Poipet to Phnom Penh in exactly 4 hours in an American Camry taxi with driver. The driver nearly hit 2 villagers and one cow and laughed every time we nearly hit those 3 living beings. We hit speeds of over 130km/h for much of the journey and it was getting dark. Scary stuff indeed

Seems like hours full of fun! blink.pngbah.giftongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Actually its 15 days

Guys; I have driven in with my Cambodian gf and she got 15 days.Last one was (arrived 4th of Oct departed 18th) when we flew to KL. have flown in and she got 30 ( 2 times)

when u apply for a thai visa for a Cambodian thru a travel agent, they will tell u its only good for 30 days yet every time ( for the last 4 years) she as always gotten 60 days.

Edited by phuketrichard

First, taking a minivan and the big bus in Poipet will only cost you 220 + 10usd. So it is 35% overpriced. Add to tjis far slower on Thai side, one trip a day. Further, willing to wsit while all the idiots, noobs and peoples from asstd wide andvwierd nations jostle for visas and the flunkies try and gouge each in turn for money.

Count me out.

I will say though, it does avoid and hopefully will.crush the bs taxi/camry mafia.

It is always better, faster, cheaper and more fun to diy.

phuketrichard, on 26 Feb 2013 - 09:55, said:

Guys; I have driven in with my Cambodian gf and she got 15 days.Last one was (arrived 4th of Oct departed 18th) when we flew to KL. have flown in and she got 30 ( 2 times)

when u apply for a thai visa for a Cambodian thru a travel agent, they will tell u its only good for 30 days yet every time ( for the last 4 years) she as always gotten 60 days.

"Flown in, she got 30 days Visa free allowance." = The Immigration officers made a mistake! Can happen.

My GF got, flown in, since this 15/14 days Visa free allowance for Cambodians is possible,

always the 2 weeks stamped in her Passport not 30 days.

Tourist Visa for Cambodians 60 days, yes. Tried that also. Visa agents my GF used, never mentioned only a 30 days limit.

-Phuketrichard-

Anyway, no big problem to bring our Cambo. GFs into TH or Thai GFs into Cambodia, so why care small formalities. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

This service may be all well and good yet a direct bus service between Karon and Patong would be better patronized. Oh wait, the tuk tuk mafia control this route so it will never happen!

And the taxi feckers!

they drive on the centre line

Well... under EU regulation UK citizens can drive in around rest of the Europe with out any problems as long as they have international insurance of course...

When Ireland joined the EU it was suggested that they move from driving on the left to the right to conform with most of the union but this was thought to be too much of a culture shock for the Irish people.

So they reconsidered and planned to introduce it gradually instead.......

LOL cheesy.gif

• 1 month later...

Well... under EU regulation UK citizens can drive in around rest of the Europe with out any problems as long as they have international insurance of course...

A key difference between driving in a right-hand-drive vehicle from the UK into France and from Thailand into Cambodia is, of course, that, in the case of the former, there is that great big body of seawater known as the English Channel to navigate first by ferry or Le Shuttle before making the switch. In the case of the latter, however, the switch is presumably made right away at the border. So Sheryl's safety concerns may well be valid - especially if there is no organised system for managing the change at the border, as distinct from a chaotic collision-prone free-for-all.

Edited by OJAS

• 4 months later...

Has anyone taken the BKK - PP bus? Is so how did the Visa for Cambodia work out at the border? I am considering taking the bus and purchasing my Cambodia Visa in advance via the E-Visa Cambodian website to avoid the drama at the border immigration office? Any adivce, thanks.

• 4 months later...

Battambang to PP is now 5.5 to 6.5 hours by bus. Big improvement over the old days of 12-13 hours (early 2000s). No way can it be done in 4.

I've done it in less than 3 doing up to 130km/h just last week with a crazy driver. It's definitely possible...

I was going to combine visa run with trip to Angkor with wife. She called bus company and was told I should have my visa prior. What the reality is on the ground, who knows. I am dure every bus has at least a few farang without visa unless they clear that up before ticket purchase. Maybe if you can get the visa before the bus leaves you move on, if not, they dump you in Poipet.