Bookship Drops Anchor In Bangkok

webfact

SPECIAL REPORT
Bookship drops anchor in Bangkok
The Nation

30200539-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The world's largest floating library, the Logos Hope, has moored in Bangkok, welcoming visitors and selling books until March 11.

Docked at the Klong Toei port, the "bookship" carries around 5,000 titles - more than 500,000 volumes - covering a wide range of subjects, including science, information technology, sport, hobbies, cooking, the arts, children's and family reading as well as a large collection of publications on Christianity. The ship also has Thai books.

The Logos Hope is open daily from 10am to 9.30pm Tuesdays to Saturdays and from 2 to 9.30pm on Sundays and Mondays. The entry fee is Bt20. Children under 12 get in free but must be accompanied by an adult.

Operated by the German non-profit GBA (Good Books for All) Ships, project director Lloyd Nicholas said the Logos Hope's mission is to bring knowledge, assistance and hope to people worldwide.

Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana presided over the opening ceremony yesterday.

Also on hand was Suppanit Manajitt, senior executive vice president of the Mitr Phol Group, which is supporting the Logos Hope's visit in conjunction with Bangkok being selected as the World Book Capital this year by Unesco.

Logos Hope was built in 1973 and first served as a car ferry. It was was bought by GBA in 2004, converted into a "bookship" and has since visited more than 43 countries and 68 ports, selling some 3 million books and welcoming more than 2.6 million visitors.

Before the Logos Hope, three ships had carried book fairs, including the Logos, the Doulos and the Logos II. The Doulos docked at Klong Toei in 2009.

The crew of the Logos Hope numbers around 400 volunteers, hailing from 45 countries, and includes young children and teenagers. Among the hands are five Thais.

Wasana Buakham, former officer, said she joined the crew to be of service and out of devotion to Jesus Christ.

"This ship is not just a bookshop - it is a catalogue of international experiences waiting to be shared with others," Wasana said

Narong Srisakunphaet came aboard six months ago, after he graduated from Chulalongkorn University. He was a church volunteer and wanted to further extend a helping hand.

"I work in the bookshop because that is the face of the ship and the best chance to meet other people," Narong said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-22

the captain once invited me to the Doulos, I think they are all under the same umbrella. He showed me around to all places on the ship. Quite impressing.

No, it's not just "god books", they have a big range of high quality books. But sorry, no "Thai Cartoons" available.

Everybody works who travels there and pay. I think Asians around $300 - $400 nd Europeans, Americans around $1000 - $1,200 per month.

Only the captain is permanently there for a couple of years before they change.

They also use a special currency system, calling them units so that the price of the books can be adjusted to local standards. With that money they buy food, water and whatever they need to continue the journey.

The Doulos is the oldest ship in the world which is still operating, around 120 years plus. Before there were two, but one sank. Not sure about the exact figures, but you can Google it.

Should have a catalog link, I would think. Not hard to put together with only 5000 titles. (Just floating a suggestion.)

they often use local books, like here in Thailand a book about the King, history and so forth. always the latest editions. In other places it would be other local books. Hard to come up with a catalog.

Most of the books here are in Thai. Maybe 30 - 40% in English

Sometimes there are queues of 3 - 4 kilometers before you are on the ship.

Edited by wealth

yes, that's her, thanks for the pics.

they still doing the old original navigation procedure, but back it up with computerized navigation.

The last and very aged Reeder from Italy who owned the ship before it went to GBA came here around that time. He cried when he saw his child still floating the oceans.

the captain once invited me to the Doulos, I think they are all under the same umbrella. He showed me around to all places on the ship. Quite impressing.

No, it's not just "god books", they have a big range of high quality books. But sorry, no "Thai Cartoons" available.

Everybody works who travels there and pay. I think Asians around $300 - $400 nd Europeans, Americans around $1000 - $1,200 per month.

They also use a special currency system, calling them units so that the price of the books can be adjusted to local standards. With that money they buy food, water and whatever they need to continue the journey.

The Doulos is the oldest ship in the world which is still operating, around 120 years plus. Before there were two, but one sank. Not sure about the exact figures, but you can Google it.

Correction!

She's 99 years old and was sold in 2010. Is in the Guinness book of records as the oldest still operating passenger ship.

Wonder who bought it.

Pity they sold her.

http://www.gbaships.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=204〈=en

What's with the entry fee?

There's usually one at any type of fair or exhibition world-wide.

Seems to be more like a floating shop than a fair or an exhibition.

But there you have it—a large floating shop is an unusual concept. An exhibition in itself.

What's with the entry fee?

There's usually one at any type of fair or exhibition world-wide.

Seems to be more like a floating shop than a fair or an exhibition.

But there you have it—a large floating shop is an unusual concept. An exhibition in itself.

It's not the Cutty Sark. It's an old cross channel car ferry. Not much of an exhibition if you ask me. And as they want you on the ship so that'll you will buy stuff off them, bit of a cheek to ask.for money just for going to their shop. Perhaps if they were selling half priced books or something you could understand it...

Correction!

She's 99 years old and was sold in 2010. Is in the Guinness book of records as the oldest still operating passenger ship.

Wonder who bought it.

Pity they sold her.

http://www.gbaships.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=204〈=en

She is now owned by Mr. Eric Saw, Director and Chief Executive of BizNaz Resources International Pte Ltd in Singapore.