Tot Fiber 2U Silent Upgrade?

nikster

I have a 10/2 Fiber2 u connection only now it seems to be running at 20/3

2525577693.png

Does anyone have promo prices for Fiber 2u?

I was looking online and seeking to re-negotiate because 3BB currently has a 30/3 fiber promo for 1,200 Baht / Month and I am paying close to 1,600 for mine.

I guess TOT adjusted their package pricing a bit and instead of sending out lower bills they increased speeds for existing users - they used to do that in the past with DSL too.

Do you get this speed when you download somethings or just speed test?

I have 20Mbit True Ultra, recently they implemented bursting technology which allows you to burst up to 50 Mbit speed (2.5 times of your package). When you download somethings, if your avg speed is below 20 Mbit, it allows you to burst up for those bandwidth you haven't been able to use.

Lets say you downloaded 10Mbit/s for 10 seconds, you can get 30 Mbit for next 10 seconds instead of 20. So that your avg download speed can always reach 20 Mbit if the server / torrent supports these speeds of course

Nikster: Please (pretty please?) can you do a speed test here: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

Just click on the "Parsippany, NJ" server - usually at the top of the list.

I would really like to know what you get up and down to that server.

I may go for fibre if it's really fast internationally.

Pretty please again! smile.png

Edited by JetsetBkk

Nikster: Please (pretty please?) can you do a speed test here: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

Just click on the "Parsippany, NJ" server - usually at the top of the list.

I would really like to know what you get up and down to that server.

I may go for fibre if it's really fast internationally.

Pretty please again! smile.png

Above link is to the Flash-based tester on DSLReports...flash-based testers can be easily fooled resulting in bogus download speeds and ping times.

Recommend you use the Java-based tester on DSLReports at this Link. Java-based testers are much harder to fool.

225.png

Did Java as well, it was similar, also it's pretty clear from the numbers that they're not cheating wink.png

My upload speed seems to be just fine. Download is a different matter.

I honestly don't check international speed anymore, for a number of reasons:

- Promised speed is in Thailand - so I verify that that's what I get

- Torrents always download at the full line speed. They're also the biggest things I download

- Dittor for downloads via download manager

- Various sites and services use co-location services to speed up their site. For example, Apple software downloads usually run at full speed, so do Microsofts, Google. YouTube as well although that's so popular the co-located line tends to get overrun as well.

For almost all purposes, the line speed is what you really get. There's also other factors that can make "real world" speed slower - servers, connections between, and so on. When I was in the US I never got the full line speed out of my friend's 20 or 30M connections. Usually I got only 1/4 of promised speed. Still fast though so doesn't matter too much.

Edited by nikster

225.png

Did Java as well, it was similar, also it's pretty clear from the numbers that they're not cheating wink.png

My upload speed seems to be just fine. Download is a different matter.

I honestly don't check international speed anymore, for a number of reasons:

- Promised speed is in Thailand - so I verify that that's what I get

- Torrents always download at the full line speed. They're also the biggest things I download

- Dittor for downloads via download manager

- Various sites and services use co-location services to speed up their site. For example, Apple software downloads usually run at full speed, so do Microsofts, Google. YouTube as well although that's so popular the co-located line tends to get overrun as well.

For almost all purposes, the line speed is what you really get. There's also other factors that can make "real world" speed slower - servers, connections between, and so on. When I was in the US I never got the full line speed out of my friend's 20 or 30M connections. Usually I got only 1/4 of promised speed. Still fast though so doesn't matter too much.

Thanks for that, Nikster. My up and down are typically around 500-600 Kbps and I agree with your other comments re. torrents, etc.

My TOT fiber 10/1 has been awful recently in Chiang Mai with lots of going on and off - I certainly haven't received an upgrade either.

Yeah its been awful, they are screwing around with the system and keep breaking it. Last time I called in the lady told me theyre having a problem all over Thailand; not even bothering to call today, I am sure its the same thing. TOT just went down around 7:30 this morning. And it was down yesterday evening, too.

I guess they are doing their best to get me to switch to the new 3bb 30/3 deal for 1200 baht... Its too bad because up until around the time of the silent upgrade the fiber line was rock solid with maybe one or two slowdowns throughout the year...