No Baht Buses On Central Rd After 9Pm?

AbeSurd

I live off Central Road (Pattayaklang).

It seems to me that over the last year or so the baht bus service after 9pm has become virtually non-existent. I'm thinking mainly about eastward bound baht buses - going towards Sukhumvit.

Anyone else noticed?

I live near Pattaya Klang Big C. Last summer, the first four months I lived here I had to walk the stretch from Buakhao to Soi Yume probably 80% of the time in the late evening. I don't mind walking but there were times I just didn't have the patience. However, walk it I did because there were no buses or if they came by, they were trolling for a charter. It's what finally drove me to abandon "public transit" and buy a motorcycle. And I'm glad I did. (Now, Jingthing should be along any moment!)

I live near Pattaya Klang Big C. Last summer, the first four months I lived here I had to walk the stretch from Buakhao to Soi Yume probably 80% of the time in the late evening. I don't mind walking but there were times I just didn't have the patience. However, walk it I did because there were no buses or if they came by, they were trolling for a charter. It's what finally drove me to abandon "public transit" and buy a motorcycle. And I'm glad I did. (Now, Jingthing should be along any moment!)

The problem is a motorcycle is not really an option. If you are out drinking late at night driving a bike is just madness. It's only a question of time before you get zapped. You have to rely on public transport in the evenings. Even if YOU stay sober no one else is.

The problem is a motorcycle is not really an option. If you are out drinking late at night driving a bike is just madness. It's only a question of time before you get zapped. You have to rely on public transport in the evenings. Even if YOU stay sober no one else is.
Agreed on all counts. But what I didn't say was that since the motorcycle and new GF (commuting to Jomtien), my lifestyle has changed completely and happily so. But point taken about other riders, particularly drunken farangs. So I protect myself with proper safety equipment worn at all times, slow motoring and being as careful as possible with choosing my routes.

I agree it is difficult but if one chooses to live there why don't they use the motorcycle taxis?

Isn't that what they are for?

It costs more 30-40 baht but still not THAT much.

Aside from believing them to be as dangerous as any other mode, and maybe moreso, they are too expensive. Moto guys at at Buakhao and Central want 60 to 80 baht to make the night run to Big C. All of 5-6 minutes. They won't budge. I can go to BKK for 124 baht. A moto taxi from Central (my apartment) to North Road is 50 baht, 40% of the cost. In BKK, motos are 10 to 20 baht. Let's say you only do 2 moto trips. That's a 100 a day, 3,000 a month. In 1 year you've spent enough to buy a brand new motorcycle. Thousands of expats have chosen the latter path.

Never had a problem with baht buses. The kind gentlemen driving often call me over to the front for a chin wag. Can't blame anyone for not wanting to drive to the Dark Side, after dark. As for moto-cycles when I read of accidents and watch some drivers I wonder why anyone wud possibly hop on a motorbike anywhere in Thailand. Must be some death-wish.

Edited by Bokchoi