Anybody Else Considering A Move To Cambodia?

britgent

Who keeps saying that Cambo doesn't have go-go bars? Pick your definition of bar type because there are lots of types, but Cambo is far from lacking adult entertainment and at half the price of LOS.

Name one gogo anywhere in Cambodia? In case you didn't understand Cambodia doesn't have gogo bars.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who keeps saying that Cambo doesn't have go-go bars? Pick your definition of bar type because there are lots of types, but Cambo is far from lacking adult entertainment and at half the price of LOS.

Name one gogo anywhere in Cambodia? In case you didn't understand Cambodia doesn't have gogo bars.

If you're just having a difference with definition, up to you. But Cambodia certainly does have bars with girls for your entertainment, and at prices lower than Thailand. Some of the girls are Vietnamese.

I don't know how much to post here, but there are a couple of streets in PP, and there is one place that's in a newer larger building at the end of a hall.

Best I can do is tell you to ask a cabbie.

• Like 1

For any still considering moving to Cambo, I've decided that the cost of living is about 50% higher, no joke. They haven't had a building boom so rent is at least 50% more. Food is much higher. Utilities and internet are higher - about double. A few things like ciggies and any kind of alcoholic beverage are cheaper as are clothes. But day to day for the more important essentials, it's noticeably more expensive.

It isn't Thailand either, as I quickly noticed. Not bad, just not Thailand.

Sihanookville is the place to go for me at least, the best way to enjoy an ancher beer is with a sea view.

It is also not anywhere near as crowded as PP or Patt, yet.

They dont have go-go if you define go-go as naked girls sporadically dancing, they are not naked, period.

Price is dependent on personal circumstances,

visa cost is 4 times cheaper for someone below 50,

but 3 times more expensive if above 50.

Beer and sigs are a bit cheaper in cambodia, other stuff a bit more expensive,

at least for a visitor who have not yet learn

Edited by poanoi

If you're just having a difference with definition, up to you. But Cambodia certainly does have bars with girls for your entertainment, and at prices lower than Thailand. Some of the girls are Vietnamese.

I don't know how much to post here, but there are a couple of streets in PP, and there is one place that's in a newer larger building at the end of a hall.

Best I can do is tell you to ask a cabbie.

having lived in Cambodia an travel there 2-3 times/year i have NEVER seen a go go bar anywhere in the country.

There was once a bar called "Cheerleaders" on the corner of street 136 that had girls dancing with poles with their clothes on, lasted about 2 weeks before they were closed an the owner (Danny) carted off to jail.

Hostess bars YES, freelancer bars YES, Chicken Farms YES

Prices in chicken farms cheaper than Thailand, hostess bars prices are same level as bars ( and sometimes more if ur not clued in) than Thai bars.

It is NOT 50% more than Thailand, some things cost a bit more ( electricity, internet,) but most things are cheaper but not by more than 20% an the quality is not as good.

I had a beautiful 1 bedroom apt on the Tonle sap river furnished, air con, hot water, internet, cable, maid service an they had a generator for only $400/month

Building boom going on right NOW!!!!

Edited by phuketrichard

Sihanookville is the place to go for me at least, the best way to enjoy an ancher beer is with a sea view.

It is also not anywhere near as crowded as PP or Patt, yet.

They dont have go-go if you define go-go as naked girls sporadically dancing, they are not naked, period.

Price is dependent on personal circumstances,

Beer and sigs are a bit cheaper in cambodia, other stuff a bit more expensive,

at least for a visitor who have not yet learn

HUH??

Thailand i pay 1.900 baht for my 1 year retirement extension and 3,800 for my muti entry permit ( total $180/year)

I pay $285 for my 1 year Cambodian visa with muti entry ( which btw is available to everyone)

Tourist visa for Thailand $40 for 2 months

tourist visa for Cambodia $20 for 1 month to me that works out as same price

Edited by phuketrichard

I pay 34.000 for ED visa, plus another 15-20k if i have to go to PP or vientienne

to initiate another year ED, roughly 45-50k per year on an average.

Remember, i'm not 50 and so subject to age discrimination/penalty

Edited by poanoi

ok, ur overpaying for everything, even here in phuket the ed course is only 28,000 an non imm ed visa is 2,000 baht for 90 days (first time only)

and how do u get ur over 50 figures??

but 3 times more expensive if above 50

.15,000 for a visa run to PP???

you can fly r/t Bkk-PP for less than $200 on air asia,

stay 3 days/nights easily for under $100

Edited by phuketrichard

OP - The Chinese have definitely NOT bought up Burma - Chinese cars aren't even allowed to drive more than 10km inside Burma and Burma's government back in 2010 or 2011 suspended a dam project, the Myitsone project I believe it's called due to environmental and social concerns. There is a considerable anti-Chinese sentiment in Myanmar (not to the point of violence or anything like that, just simply a distrust and dislike of the Chinese). Even in the Chinese-Myanmar border town of Mu-se the atmosphere is overwhelmingly Burmese, with the Burmese influence in neighboring Ruili much more prominent than any Chinese influence over on the Myanmar side in Mu-se so I don't know who told you otherwise. Foreign language signs, including those in Chinese language are supposedly banned in Burma, with only English and Burmese being allowed and some Chinese language signs were removed in a neighborhood of Mandalay recently according to a news story published by elevenmyanmar. You will see a few Chinese signs in the Chinese border areas but it's minimal compared to neighboring Laos. Perhaps you mean Laos being bought up by the Chinese - where so many parts of the north are full of Chinese investments, traders, business people, tourists, Chinese registered vehicles and Chinese language signs etc. that you could be forgiven for thinking that those parts of Laos have been annexed by China.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

OP - The Chinese have definitely NOT bought up Burma - Chinese cars aren't even allowed to drive more than 10km inside Burma and Burma's government back in 2010 or 2011 suspended a dam project, the Myitsone project I believe it's called due to environmental and social concerns. There is a considerable anti-Chinese sentiment in Myanmar (not to the point of violence or anything like that, just simply a distrust and dislike of the Chinese). Even in the Chinese-Myanmar border town of Mu-se the atmosphere is overwhelmingly Burmese, with the Burmese influence in neighboring Ruili much more prominent than any Chinese influence over on the Myanmar side in Mu-se so I don't know who told you otherwise. Foreign language signs, including those in Chinese language are supposedly banned in Burma, with only English and Burmese being allowed and some Chinese language signs were removed in a neighborhood of Mandalay recently according to a news story published by elevenmyanmar. You will see a few Chinese signs in the Chinese border areas but it's minimal compared to neighboring Laos. Perhaps you mean Laos being bought up by the Chinese - where so many parts of the north are full of Chinese investments, traders, business people, tourists, Chinese registered vehicles and Chinese language signs etc. that you could be forgiven for thinking that those parts of Laos have been annexed by China.

I don't see how that does not mean that China has not bought it up !?!

I don't know of any mining operation in the northern region which is not Chinese owned and run. I and a group of friends have been looking for a good sized plot on the coast in the south with a combined US$7,000,000 but all sold, to Chinese businessmen or groups.

Just so if you want to know the rebels and all in the shan state and the automonous regions have lots of chinese influence. These were former nationalists that lost to the communists during the chinese civil war. The shan state where they produce heroin and so on yes it's the Wa army has a leader with a mandarin name and i believe he is chinese or a chinese national from nearby yunnan.

I see this is still going on. One more time. Before someone makes a permanent move to Cambodia, I really suggest he at least visit and check things out.

I came to the conclusion that it would cost me 50% more to live in PP than in Chiang Mai, with the same lifestyle - food, housing, etc. etc.

Anything alcoholic, cigarettes, clothes, go go girls and a few other items are cheaper. But lacking the building boom of Chiang Mai, rents are double. Ditto with utilities including internet, electricity, etc. Groceries are quite a bit more. A decent restaurant is more. Even though food costs more, IMHO it isn't as good.

Vehicles cost more and there isn't the selection. Good used cars are hard to find and more expensive than Thailand. Fuel is more.

Seriously. Check it out. Look at rentals. Look at food costs. Ask about utilities. Look for a new or used car, remembering that they are all imported.

For someone who drinks a lot and buys hard liquor and wine, who perhaps smokes, and who uses the professional girls quite a bit it might average out. The girls cost about 1/2, they tell me. I don't drink much or go with bar girls so that has no affect on me.

I agree with those who say that much more English is spoken and that the people seem more genuinely friendly, but I'm just talking about costs.

It didn't take me 2 weeks to want to be back in Thailand.

Well i dont dare having sex with girls in either country,

but i save 20k-40k per year on visa cost if i live in cambodia,

which would cover most newbie rip-off additional costs.

A new car and a big bike is cheaper to buy there, not that i would buy either

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

I see this is still going on. One more time. Before someone makes a permanent move to Cambodia, I really suggest he at least visit and check things out.

I came to the conclusion that it would cost me 50% more to live in PP than in Chiang Mai, with the same lifestyle - food, housing, etc. etc.

Anything alcoholic, cigarettes, clothes, go go girls and a few other items are cheaper. But lacking the building boom of Chiang Mai, rents are double. Ditto with utilities including internet, electricity, etc. Groceries are quite a bit more. A decent restaurant is more. Even though food costs more, IMHO it isn't as good.

Vehicles cost more and there isn't the selection. Good used cars are hard to find and more expensive than Thailand. Fuel is more.

Seriously. Check it out. Look at rentals. Look at food costs. Ask about utilities. Look for a new or used car, remembering that they are all imported.

For someone who drinks a lot and buys hard liquor and wine, who perhaps smokes, and who uses the professional girls quite a bit it might average out. The girls cost about 1/2, they tell me. I don't drink much or go with bar girls so that has no affect on me.

I agree with those who say that much more English is spoken and that the people seem more genuinely friendly, but I'm just talking about costs.

Some people prefer one location over another because of its lawlessness. The balance between recourse to the law and subjective freedom does not pivot on the same fulcrum for all.

Some people prefer one location over another because of its lawlessness. The balance between recourse to the law and subjective freedom does not pivot on the same fulcrum for all.

I don't understand. I consider Thailand quite lawless, but I suppose that is subjective. In either country you can get into trouble with the law and find yourself with no rights. Neither country runs its police or courts in a Western fashion. Thailand doesn't enforce driving laws, or stop scams at the beach and elsewhere. It is corrupt, turns a blind eye to rip offs, and you have to watch yourself. Thailand is much more dangerous for being robbed or murdered or attacked and that I have posted proof many times.

If you like the idea of paying a reasonable fee for a year's stay (almost $300 US) and just walking in, I like that.

I guess I just see both as lawless in the Western thinking. I don't like the Thai method of Retirement extensions with reporting, or making border runs for some etc. That's a pain.

I think for anything lawless I see in Cambo, I can find something just as lawless in LOS.

If the subject is drugs including mj, yes it's more prevalent and cheap, but don't get caught. Who wants to go to a Cambo prison? They do have snitches who will pull you in.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

I don't understand. I consider Thailand quite lawless, but I suppose that is subjective. In either country you can get into trouble with the law and find yourself with no rights. Neither country runs its police or courts in a Western fashion. Thailand doesn't enforce driving laws, or stop scams at the beach and elsewhere. It is corrupt, turns a blind eye to rip offs, and you have to watch yourself. Thailand is much more dangerous for being robbed or murdered or attacked and that I have posted proof many times.

If you like the idea of paying a reasonable fee for a year's stay (almost $300 US) and just walking in, I like that.

I guess I just see both as lawless in the Western thinking. I don't like the Thai method of Retirement extensions with reporting, or making border runs for some etc. That's a pain.

I think for anything lawless I see in Cambo, I can find something just as lawless in LOS.

If the subject is drugs including mj, yes it's more prevalent and cheap, but don't get caught. Who wants to go to a Cambo prison? They do have snitches who will pull you in.

Sorry, It wasn't really a response to you post. I just quoted it to give it a bump so it's on the latest post.

Thailand is to a certain degree lawless but Cambodia is more so. The meaning is that people have an individual level of attraction to lawlessness. I have met more people than I can remember who have moved to Thailand in order to settle only to leave because of the level of lawlessness which would obviously include corruption.

Hmmm. Err. If some person or couple cannot live in Thailand because of its general lawlessness then they will not be able to live in Cambodia. However, if some person or couple cannot live with the lawlessness in Cambodia they may be able to live in Thailand. This is not an absolute by any means but in general.

lack of affordable longterm accommodation and that break-ins are very common

I have a number of friends who moved there from Thailand some 5-6 years back, they have never mentioned problems with accommodation but they have about crime. When I go away for a couple of months I just lock my door and head off but they put all their goods into storage. That says it all to me.

Thanks for that information. I would not like those conditions. However my recent attempt to visit TV was/is confusing b/c of this notice I get:

Fetching of original content failed with the following error: Proxy Publisher Failure - NO RESPONSE. If you own this domain, please consult this FAQ.

Is this a glitch in the system or has the govt. done something to censor this forum. It that is the case then a move would certainly be entertained by many X pats living here. Please advise if you can.

lack of affordable longterm accommodation and that break-ins are very common

I have a number of friends who moved there from Thailand some 5-6 years back, they have never mentioned problems with accommodation but they have about crime. When I go away for a couple of months I just lock my door and head off but they put all their goods into storage. That says it all to me.
Thanks for that information. I would not like those conditions. However my recent attempt to visit TV was/is confusing b/c of this notice I get:

Fetching of original content failed with the following error: Proxy Publisher Failure - NO RESPONSE. If you own this domain, please consult [/size]this FAQ.[/size]

Is this a glitch in the system or has the govt. done something to censor this forum. It that is the case then a move would certainly be entertained by many X pats living here. Please advise if you can.

It was just a glitch and this is off topic.

Yangoon is safer or PP is safer ? Confused. xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

Yangoon he feels is safer, less crime, less traffic, less hassles

do u not read english well?

to make it easy i have bolded highlights

i have a friend that just moved to Yangoon, he had lived in Phnom Penh from 2007-2010

he tells me it is MUCH safer and quiet there

Edited by phuketrichard

Yangoon is safer or PP is safer ? Confused. xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

Yangoon he feels is safer, less crime, less traffic, less hassles

do u not read english well?

to make it easy i have bolded highlights

i have a friend that just moved to Yangoon, he had lived in Phnom Penh from 2007-2010

he tells me it is MUCH safer and quiet there

and your friend got permanent residence in Myanmar on arrival? huh.png

phuketrichard, I appreciate the clarification, less so the sarcasm. When I read that last sentence, this is what I see:

he had lived in Phnom Penh from 2007-2010 he tells me it is MUCH safer and quiet there

and this is what you see:

i have a friend that just moved to Yangoon, he tells me it is MUCH safer and quiet there

I would have written it as:

I have a friend who lived in PP from 2007-2010 and just moved to Yangoon - he tells me the latter is much safer and quieter.

Obviously, I associate the claim re. safety and silence (!) with the last city mentioned in your original sentence, while you associate it with the first - I'll leave it to the English teachers on the board to decide whether I should repeat the second grade.

one is teaching at yis ( the expensive international school ) as the IT teacher.

the other is married an his wife in on a 2 year contract with Carlsberg beer

Permanent residence??

i doubt it but one within 1 month one had work permit, ,( the other a 1 year visa as spouse) relevant visas, Burmese driving licenses and cars

and what does that have to do with safety there?

Well i dont dare having sex with girls in either country,

but i save 20k-40k per year on visa cost if i live in cambodia,

which would cover most newbie rip-off additional costs.

A new car and a big bike is cheaper to buy there, not that i would buy either

Can you remind me what your main objection is to Malaysia ? I cant think of any other country in the region that will give you back-to-back 90-day stamps gratis each time you fly back in - reportedly for up to 10 consecutive years before they start getting difficult. I look forward to posting things like my rent and grocery bills in 2014, but if Penang proves to be more expensive than Suk Soi 22 I'll be very surprised, particularly as i drink a lot less in M'sia than I do in Thailand. Politically, both countries have their share of potential challenges, but if visas are one of your main bugbears (I'll post elsewhere re Stickman's claims about multi-entry visas atm) then I think you can do a lot worse than Malaysia.

(Apologies for taking this OT, but we are all here for much the same reason : examining possible alternatives to Thailand as a retirement destination. For some, a Muslim country may as well be on Mars, and I get that, but I dont see it as any more dangerous potentially than the next decade in Thailand. If an Islamic Armageddon comes to the region, it won't be confined to the borders of Indonesia and Malaysia)

I think i got nothing particular against Malaysia, except that i don't like travel at all,

my primary wish is to pay a sum and be left alone for the reminder of the year,

and repeat that next year, without going anywhere.

This sum should obviously be as low as possible, but being left alone will rival that in importance

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

one is teaching at yis ( the expensive international school ) as the IT teacher.

the other is married an his wife in on a 2 year contract with Carlsberg beer

Permanent residence??

i doubt it but one within 1 month one had work permit, ,( the other a 1 year visa as spouse) relevant visas, Burmese driving licenses and cars

and what does that have to do with safety there?

my ironic question was not about safety but about living in Myanmar. the average chaps living in Thailand have no chance to move to Yangon because they are neither qualified to teach nor do they have wives working in Myanmar nor does Myanmar have a provision for retirees.

HUH??

Thailand i pay 1.900 baht for my 1 year retirement extension and 3,800 for my muti entry permit ( total $180/year)

I pay $285 for my 1 year Cambodian visa with muti entry ( which btw is available to everyone)

Tourist visa for Thailand $40 for 2 months

tourist visa for Cambodia $20 for 1 month to me that works out as same price

To be fair, not everyone wants or needs multiple entry/exit.

My visa costs in Thailand are 2900B for one year, or USD95. That's a one-year retirement extension and one exit/re-entry. Some years I dont leave at all and so it only costs me 1900B or about USD60.

In Cambodia I would be paying USD285 like everyone else. Not the end of the world, I know, but one thing that one needs to factor in when making a price comparison. Of course I would save that back quickly enough even on the 1 or 2 beers I drink a day.

I think my main reason for not living in Cambodia is the lack of spiciness in the local food. It really is very boring when compared to Thai or Malaysian food.

I think my main reason for not living in Cambodia is the lack of spiciness in the local food. It really is very boring when compared to Thai or Malaysian food.

that's not a reason, as all u need is a gf that can cook :-)

PP has some great western style restaurants when u need something "Less" spicy