Anybody Else Considering A Move To Cambodia?

britgent

I have now lived in Chiang Mai for nearly a year now and am considering finding somewhere close to split my time with.

Cambodia is looking pretty promising and I haven't really heard anything too negative about it. If anything in many ways it sounds a little bit friendlier to the western tourist were as Thailand is seeming a bit tired of seeing our faces I think.

I must come clean at this point and confess I have not even visited Cambodia yet but am looking to do so very soon. I was considering Burma but I hear it is a security risk and that the Chinese have pretty much bought the place up already which makes it a no go for me. Pity as I really quite fancied it at one point.

A year ago Chiang Mai was utopia and it still a very nice place to live but I feel I need to split my time with somewhere else to fully appreciate its talents rather than be ground down by its bad points. Cambodia sounds right but I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter please as I have found thaivisa to be very well informed.

• Like 1

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If in the future some of the doom and gloom predictions often read about on TV come to fruition, Cambodia may be the best option for a lot of ex-pats currently residing in Thailand.

Who knows, in 20 years time, if Thailand is too developed and expensive, perhaps Cambodia will have developed to Thailand's current state. It could be a really nice place by then, maybe even have Tesco's in every city! tongue.png

• Like 2

I too have put a move to Cambodia into the "possibility" category of my journey in S.E.A. and am in the same boat as you having never entered the Kingdon yet (except for a Visa run whistling.gif ) I have a friend who has been taking holidays there off & on over the last 3yrs and he really enjoys it. However one thing he always says is how after awhile he needs to get over to Thailand to "take the edge off" When I asked him why he does this, he said as much as he loves Cambodia and the people there, it is as lemoncake mentioned in that it is still a bit like the wild west with an unstable economy and majority of poor people. He says this because he feels he needs to be "on his toes" a bit more there and his level of relaxation will not be the same as Thailand.

But lets be straight, much of this has to do with where you are and the locations you spend the majority of your time at. From the research I have done I know that Cambodia is MUCH MORE visa friendly then the LOS. But isn't just about anywhere? tongue.png

NO..not me....never in a gazillion year! I probably will die here too

I like Chiangmai.....nice weather, friendly people,and good foods (they really know how to cook thai foods!

If I sit around and do nothing all day long, I probably will get bored too...doesn't matter how great the city or super friendly people can be.

I think it helps to have some hobbies or interests to focus on besides doing all those touristsy things 24/7, and have realistic expectation of your local place and its people that you choose to be in and around. Not to mention that knowing the local language as much as possible is a big plus too.

Good luck with you move and send back some postcardssmile.png

• Like 1

I think the only way to find out is to visit for a week or three - I will go back in 2014 to see what changes have occurred since my last visit in 2010, but I have no plans to move there. Forum chatter has it that there is a lack of affordable longterm accommodation and that break-ins are very common, but there is no substitute for spending a few weeks in PP (or wherever you plan to live) and talking to Barang who actually live there.

BKS22, are you familiar with the Indonesian visa system ? Much worse than Thailand. I'm just going to pay an agent in Singapore and be done with it.

• Like 1

notmyself, on 23 Feb 2013 - 21:36, said:

MrWorldwide, on 23 Feb 2013 - 17:51, said:

lack of affordable longterm accommodation and that break-ins are very common

I have a number of friends who moved there from Thailand some 5-6 years back, they have never mentioned problems with accommodation but they have about crime. When I go away for a couple of months I just lock my door and head off but they put all their goods into storage. That says it all to me.

Auto and bike theft is also fairly high, unless the vehicle belongs to some general or police officer and then uniform is usually hanging there to show it, and an armed guard always lurking around.

Another thing i found to be little intermidating is the armed guards at the clubs, as in night clubs.

• Like 1

I was in Cambodia last year. If I moved there it would have to be to Phnom Penh because that's where all services, stores, etc. can be found.

My impression of Siem Reap is that it's taken over by international do-gooders and I found food and hotel prices too high and people not so friendly. Decide for yourself.

Sihanoukville is quaint to say the least. It's doable, but it doesn't offer near everything I'd need, so I'd be making regular trips to Phnom Penh. I'm just talking about ordinary shopping and whatever.

My personal opinion is that the women aren't as attractive as Thais. There is a difference imho. That's not to say there aren't some beauties, but I didn't see as many.

Anyone who truly misses the frontier days of Thailand might just take a look. Don't therefore expect the infrastructure or medical care to be on the same level.

Oh, and I thought rent was just as cheap as was the food. Alcohol is way cheaper.

I spent a few days in sihanoukville just before the new year.what a dump.scamming and bothering all the time.dirty and the management told me the tiny room i was staying at was going up from 15$ a night to 30$ for 3days over new year,so i left.One positive ,could buy bottled Guinness for a dollar.now theres something cant get in Thailand,only draught at300 baht a pint.

Edited by KKvampire

I spent a few days in sihanoukville just before the new year.what a dump.scamming and bothering all the time.dirty and the management told me the tiny room i was staying at was going up from 15$ a night to 30 for 3days over new year,so i left.One positive ,could buy bottled Guiness for a dollar.now theres something cant get in Thailand,only draught at300 baht a pint.

Agreed. I said "quaint" to be polite. But if a person wants to go back two or more decades from Thailand, then the lifestyle and amenities will be gone.

But the people were friendly, I didn't experience scams, prices were right but it just isn't Thailand.

If I can play Devil's Advocate, other than expats in Laos and Malaysia, how many Westerners are an hour's flight from Bangkok ? I know - cold comfort if Bangkok is the reason you want to relocate - but 6 months in more rustic surroundings might remedy some of that angst ;)

Those who have been to the aging shopping centre in Vientiane would recognise Pnomh Penh's 'mall' : don't know if they've built a replacement since 2010, but I'm confident that it wont be a patch on Siam Paragon or Bukit Bintang. Even the Robinson in Udon Thani looks like Harrod's by comparison. :D

• Like 1

Shit food is the issue.

Found the food in Cambodia to be pretty good the last time I was there, and very reasonable in terms of price. Not sure I could live there, but enjoy a visit there every now and again.

• Like 1

I must say the relaxed visa's and ease of setting up a business and running it as a foreigner really appeal to me. I just feel sometimes that Thailand has grown weary of use but also grown very experienced at fleecing the next boatload.

Cynical i know but that's just my take on things.

• Like 1

The medical care is a big issue for older people.

the medical care is a big issue for any people.

if you have the money or insurance, they fly you out to Thailand for treatment. if you do not have neither, your life is in the hands of god.

Bangkok Hospital has a branch there, but its merely GP consultations, anything else off to Bangkok Thailand.

There is a children hospital near by the wat phnom, but it looks more like horse stables.

Well, a friend has been holidaying in S'ville. Liked the place. Nice people, inexpensive, has a beach. Get a room by the month, check it out. The Visa situation is way better IMHO. Get an annual Visa, be done with that nonsense.

But unless you have a network of friends, you might go stir crazy soon. Thailand has more going. When you travel... From Major Cineplex to shopping malls and good hospitals and dentists etc. etc. Why not check it out?

Didn't like visiting Cambodja at all 5 years ago. It's edgy, poor, no infrastructure and a general feeling of despair from the locals. Not to mention I don't like not knowing who were Khmer Rogue in the past. It would be like walking around in post war Germany and not knowing who were Nazis. The 'Highway 4' is a dirt road with massive potholes. Only other foreigner I met on a bus was toothless weirdo. Sihanoukville is incredibly boring. Most of the countryside is an ugly flat tundra since they cut down all the trees.

No thanks to Cambodja. I'd much sooner move to the Philipines.

• Like 2