Anybody Else Considering A Move To Cambodia?

britgent

Just returned from Cambodia.

I find the women more attractive there than in TL.

just a personal preference i guess.

Just about everything else, i didnt see much difference.

People are just as lovely, just as friendly, just as corrupt, lol

Prices are just as low, and ferang prices just as different lol

but I don't believe there's any work over there for an EE

so its a moot point.

Not that there's a lot of work for an EE here! sad.png

Agree on the women, but then I think the Buriram, Surin, Sisaket, etc. area has its beauties.

By EE if you mean electrical engineer, I heard there was a lot of hiring due to the fast increase in power generation facilities.

In Surin they even speak Khmer,do you think that might have something to do with it?Who wants transparent,stuck-up ironing boards anyway,like most of the younger population of Bangkok?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - clearly, I've dug my own grave on this, but I use ATMs as a last resort. I take AUD to Thailand and exchange it to baht for my holidays, and I will be using Forex for larger amounts in 2014. Setting up a Thai bank account hasn't really been worth it up till now, although I did consider it during one 3-month stint in 2008.

In addition to the fee the owners of the ATMs charge, my bank here in Oz rapes me on every transaction. They charge me for an 'overseas withdrawal fee' or similar, and they ream me on the foreign exchange transaction. I know I will have to pay a Forex trader, but I fully expect to get a better rate than my bank gives me (I couldn't do worse ..) and I wont be paying two sets of ATM fees. I also have a problem with the increasing number of scams in and around ATMs in Thailand and other parts of Asia. Much happier using the ATMs in the bank during working hours, but that isnt always feasible. Even the currency exchange at the airports is usually several points off what I can get closer to my hotel.

Paranoid cheapskate ? Maybe, but I get pissed off any time I feel that my bank is having an even bigger lend of me than usual - Australian banks are notorious for their high fees. Of course, once I follow the suggestion given in another thread and convert all those nasty Pacific Pesos to Thai baht, my problems are over, right guys ? Er, guys ? <sound of crickets chirping>

You're obviously blissfully unaware of the fact that 'Forex' is short for Foreign Exchange,do you honestly believe that ATMs are the only places using the Foreign Exchange for currency transactions?Will your 'Forex Trader' be turning up with a brown paper bag full of money and where do you think he will have gotten the money from?The Bank,The Foreign Exchange or both?

Your 'Forex Trader' is just dealing in larger amounts than you are and is therefore not paying the retail price like you are,he's still obtaining the funds from the Foreign Exchange or Forex!

There are banks in USA with no foreign ATM fees and will reimburse your 150 baht withdrawal fee at the end of each month. Interest rates have been around for a long time; they help me do things today when my income is parceled out monthly. Likewise, some credit cards have foreign transaction fees and some have none. As I have no heirs, if I drop dead tomorrow the CC companies are stuck with the payments.

To me, they are just like a cost of doing business. I save so much each month living in Thailand vs. USA that interest payments and other fees just get lost in the wash.

Citibank and Aeon ATMs still don't charge the 150 baht fee in Thailand.

OK - clearly, I've dug my own grave on this, but I use ATMs as a last resort. I take AUD to Thailand and exchange it to baht for my holidays, and I will be using Forex for larger amounts in 2014. Setting up a Thai bank account hasn't really been worth it up till now, although I did consider it during one 3-month stint in 2008.

In addition to the fee the owners of the ATMs charge, my bank here in Oz rapes me on every transaction. They charge me for an 'overseas withdrawal fee' or similar, and they ream me on the foreign exchange transaction. I know I will have to pay a Forex trader, but I fully expect to get a better rate than my bank gives me (I couldn't do worse ..) and I wont be paying two sets of ATM fees. I also have a problem with the increasing number of scams in and around ATMs in Thailand and other parts of Asia. Much happier using the ATMs in the bank during working hours, but that isnt always feasible. Even the currency exchange at the airports is usually several points off what I can get closer to my hotel.

Paranoid cheapskate ? Maybe, but I get pissed off any time I feel that my bank is having an even bigger lend of me than usual - Australian banks are notorious for their high fees. Of course, once I follow the suggestion given in another thread and convert all those nasty Pacific Pesos to Thai baht, my problems are over, right guys ? Er, guys ? <sound of crickets chirping>

I will be traveling to Thailand soon so I asked my bank about the overseas fees.

If you are willing to use a debit card as apposed to a credit card, and are over 50yrs old, you can get set it up so no overseas transactions fees apply (150B Thai fee still applies).

The way I have set up my banking, I have not paid any bank fees for a long time.

I agree about the exchange rates and I am still working on that one.

Ministry of Som Tam, or whatever your regular board name is,:

I had a detailed response typed up, but I know where that would go - pages of keyboard warriors tearing into one another. Suffice it to say that you think I'm an imbecile, and I think you are a sanctimonious, patronising &lt;deleted&gt;. If you want to lecture me on Cambodia, go right ahead, but my knowledge of Forex (&lt;deleted&gt; ..) and international finance in general has nothing to do with you or this thread. The 'brown bags of cash' line is beneath contempt - it speaks volumes for the spite you want to bring to this discussion. My advice is to cut back on the purple pills.

16 posts that were clearly designed as nothing more than thinly-veiled barbs. Last time I checked, that was considered trolling.

There is more pedo's in Thailand than Cambodia, especially when you count native.

I couldnt care less any more, just as the kids don care how they get money for online computer games

Edited by poanoi

True -- but there are very few of the Citibank and Aeon ATM's compared to the Thai bank ATM's and they are not available 24 hours per day. My 150 baht refund(s) come in on the first of the month like clockwork

As long as I'm within the edit time window, I'll just add: After almost 10 years here I've established what I believe is a good life for myself here in Thailand. The notion that I would just pick up and move to Cambodia or any other country and start all over is inconceivable to me. But 'up to you'.

Edited by JLCrab

There is more pedo's in Thailand than Cambodia, especially when you count native.

I couldnt care less any more, just as the kids don care how they get money for online computer games

i would not bet on that. Child prostitution is still alive and kicking in Cambodia. Vietnamese still sell their kids to the highest bidder and high ranked police are often the first ones to "try"

Then the righteous NGO's driving around with their 15 year old girlfriends.

A single male walking around Central Market and you would be approached at least 3 times to be offered a young girl or a boy

There are banks in USA with no foreign ATM fees and will reimburse your 150 baht withdrawal fee at the end of each month. Interest rates have been around for a long time; they help me do things today when my income is parceled out monthly. Likewise, some credit cards have foreign transaction fees and some have none. As I have no heirs, if I drop dead tomorrow the CC companies are stuck with the payments.

To me, they are just like a cost of doing business. I save so much each month living in Thailand vs. USA that interest payments and other fees just get lost in the wash.

Where are citibank ATM's, i am yet to see one

i would not bet on that. Child prostitution is still alive and kicking in Cambodia. Vietnamese still sell their kids to the highest bidder and high ranked police are often the first ones to "try"

A single male walking around Central Market and you would be approached at least 3 times to be offered a young girl or a boy

I guess i'm not old enuff to be considered a potential customer, i was never approached by other then 18+ hookers, but a lot more here in thailand.

Actually somehow and for some reason it looks like those interested is 30+

Edited by poanoi

I guess i'm not old enuff to be considered a potential customer, i was never approached by other then 18+ hookers, but a lot more here in thailand.

Actually somehow and for some reason it looks like those interested is 30+

How do you know that?

Where are citibank ATM's, i am yet to see one

Central World,Bangkok,3rd Floor where all the banks are!thumbsup.gif

Ministry of Som Tam, or whatever your regular board name is,:

I had a detailed response typed up, but I know where that would go - pages of keyboard warriors tearing into one another. Suffice it to say that you think I'm an imbecile, and I think you are a sanctimonious, patronising &lt;deleted&gt;. If you want to lecture me on Cambodia, go right ahead, but my knowledge of Forex (&lt;deleted&gt; ..) and international finance in general has nothing to do with you or this thread. The 'brown bags of cash' line is beneath contempt - it speaks volumes for the spite you want to bring to this discussion. My advice is to cut back on the purple pills.

16 posts that were clearly designed as nothing more than thinly-veiled barbs. Last time I checked, that was considered trolling.

I won't hold my breath for your lecture on Elliott Waves,Bollinger Bands and Fibonacci Retracements if you don't mind!

are u saying u have been approached? perhaps u fit the type for children

I have lived in Cambodia an been a frequent visitor to since 2004,( with a few border trips in the 80's and 90's) an never been offered a child be it boy or girl and i do lots of walking as i am a photographer an love photographing life on the streets

Edited by phuketrichard

yep, you guys are absolutly correct, Cambodia is booming.

In 1oo years somebody there may actually have a pot to piss in.

place is so damn far behind why not have a few dinosaurs migrate there.

So far behind what ?

Oh well, at least it gets you the "Most Ignorant Post of the Day" award..

(and there was stiff competition, so you can be proud that you were so far ahead of the others)

• Like 2

So far behind what ?

(and there was stiff competition, so you can be proud that you were so far ahead of the others)

so your saying the country is not backwards, who's ignorant.

look at it, be serious the place is a joke as is Thailand in many ways.

• Like 1

So far behind what ?

Then stay away from both countries.

• Like 1

So far behind what ?

Then stay away from both countries.

I love thailand but dont tell me the place dont have vast problems, we can be honest here.

I like the place so why stay away, but i'm honest enough to see that many things are a disgrace and it's sad for the people of thailand and Cambodia.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello thought I would pop in and see how we are all doing.

Just a little bit of info I am 31 and work offshore but also mess with stocks.

Cambodia for me looks appealing as the visa situation is easier, I can actually own and run a business which is important to me as I don't like being idle.

Plus from what I can gather in Thailand everything is golden till your wife decides she has discovered your true net worth and has finally got it all in her name.

At that point your future ranges from an internationally recognised 8.7 score high jump from a balcony or her and her family in their village turn cold and you run in fear of your life.

Plus after a year here I feel jaded and the more I learn the less I feel welcome unless the wallet is on full sprinkler effect mode.

Yes some people love it here. Some people don't. I don't think its a falang thing either, the locals pounce on an opportunity to screw each other just as quickly. Its the fact that when it does go awry for the falang he has nowhere to turn or a leg to stand on legally.

Will Cambodia be better? No idea but hoping to find out on my recce in a week or so.

From my humble observations I think this place must have been brilliant 20-30 years ago and I do like the locals, I just don't trust them.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Funnily enough last offshore job involved a lot of Phillipino lads and you couldn't have asked for a nicer bunch of guys. Still in touch now and once they found out I lived in cm they tried to win me over to PI.

But even they were realistic in the security threat present, especially down south I think they said.

My little Canadian pal has also relocated to Cebu in PI and is trying to get me over but again I just can't really get that enthused with the place to be honest. I don't know why.

One of the prettiest ladies I have met here in cm when I first got here was a 100% phillipino girl raised in UK. Truly stunning. Less stunning was the Brit boyfriend bullshi##ing about being a stock market trader. 2 questions found him out and she looked slightly mortified at the prospect of having been taking it in the beef sandwich for the last two months from the mail boy!

Sorry really got lost in the moment and rambled on there.

Reading up still on combo now. The hardest bit will be leaving friends behind and the safety of knowing my way around here.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by britgent