Thailand Live Sunday 24 Feb 2013

Lite Beer

Start saving power now, PM urges public and business
The Nation on Sunday

30200659-01_big.jpg
Yingluck

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday admitted there is a risk of blackouts in some areas of Bangkok and the South on April 5 - the expected peak date for electricity usage - and called on all households and businesses to save energy now, to ensure there is reserve power for use on that date.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621472-start-saving-power-now-pm-urges-public-and-business/

LIFESTYLE
Riding Bangkok's waves
Pattarawadee Saengmanee
The Nation on Sunday

30200635-01_big.jpg?1361662675077
BANGKOK: -- There's no need to head to the sea to lie on the beach or rip the curl. Just jump on the BTS and head downtown

An alternative sport that combines surfing with snowboarding and elements of skateboarding, flow riding has taken much of the world by storm with centres flourishing from the US and UK to Chile and Singapore and even a world championship sponsored by a well-known soft drinks company.

While probably not quite ready to compete at the world level, Thais are already enjoying riding the waves at Flow House Bangkok.

Opened six months ago by four veteran entrepreneurs all passionate about aquatic sports, the centre, a franchise of the San Diego-based Flow and Wave Houses, is bang in the centre of town on Sukhumvit Soi 26.

The sport was invented in the early 1990s by a group of professional boardsport athletes searching for an extreme indoor sport that didn't depend on the weather or wind direction and which could also be practised without risk of injury.

The Bangkok operation, which costs Bt90 million to set up, operates from a former 400-square-metre, two-storey sports club that's been transformed to resemble a miniature beach resort, complete with wooden tables, chairs and loungers and a large wave pool.

"In addition to Europe, where flow boarding is really big, Flow and Wave Houses have opened franchises in South Africa, Japan, Singapore and South Korea. Flow riding is rated as an extreme sport, but it's safer than skating on the street or snowboarding in the mountains. And you can do it at any time of year," says marketing manager Porawit Kittivuttivittaya. "We've created a beach in the centre of town. Now, if you want to ride the waves, you don't even need to drive to the sea."

Beginners are given lessons by a veteran instructor team and start by learning to balance on the wave generated by the very latest Double System - it costs Flow House Bangkok Bt30 million - which travels at 50 kilometres per hour.

The 3.5-metre-high, slightly sloped surface is made from the same quality polyester that's normally found on a standard gymnastic floor. It's soft and flexible and riders feel free and safe even when they fall. There are two lanes and a maximum of 20 people can surf at one time.

I start my lesson by learning how to move and kneel on my board. In just one hour, says my supervisor instructor, Arnon Galson, I'll be able to balance and ride the wave smoothly. Personally, I have my doubts but my confidence grows as he patiently guides me through standing and moving in all directions. Twenty minutes in and I'm loving it.

"There are two kinds of boards for flow riding: body and flow boards. They can be made of wood, fibreglass and EVA foam. They are small, safe and lightweight. The flow rider is easy and the best choice for anyone skilled in board sports. It takes only a short time to adapt and learn how to ride the simulated wave," Arnon says. "Flow riders have tricks that are based on the basics of skateboarding like the ollie [jumping over water] and the pop shove it [jumping and turning in the air]. I'm a skateboarder, but I fell in love with flow riding. I find it very exciting and challenging."

Australian-Thai, Payu Vonbucren, 13, agrees. He comes here after school most days and on weekends and can't get enough of the wave. "I used to surf a little," he explains, "but at first I didn't find it easy to balance on a flow board." Now I love the flow rider, it's challenging," says Payu, a student at NIST international school.

Tanutchaya Tresirikasem, 10, used to play tennis with her siblings and also tried her hand at mountain climbing. Now she comes to Flow House. "I like the flow rider. It's fun. I come here two or three days a week," she says.

Company owner and kiteboarding enthusiast Chanthana Sirithanakorn has also become a regular. "I like here because I don't have to drive out of town. Flow riding doesn't rely on the weather either, meaning I can surf whenever I want," she says.

In between rides, you can munch on a burger or hog dog and enjoy a drink at Flow House's California-style restaurant and bar. A selection of sporting gear is available at the Rip Curl store and the little ones can work off excess energy in the small pool.

"We're planning to open an Italian restaurant once we finish renovating the restaurant and bar. Ideally, we'd like to become a hip hangout and introduce what Flow House has to offer to a wider range of people," says Porawit.

>> Flow House Bangkok is located in A Square community mall on Sukhumvit Soi 26. It's open weekdays from 10am to midnight and from 8am on weekends. Call (02) 108 5210 or visit www.FlowHouseBangkok.com and "Flowhousebangkok" page on Facebook.

>> The ride costs Bt750 per hour. Flow House also offers three packages, ranging from Bt3,750 for five hours with two hours free, Bt7,500 for 10 hours with five hours free and Bt11,250 for 15 hours with 10 hours free.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-24

5 injured in two South attacks
The Nation on Sunday

NARATHIWAT: -- Three people were injured after two bombs exploded outside a convenience store near a rangers' regiment in Narathiwat's Rangae district.

Those injured were territorial defence volunteer Muhamadsobri Marong, volunteer ranger Thanuthan Mareh and three-year-old boy Afhal Jenae.

Security-camera footage showed two suspects parking a motorcycle at the spot.

In a separate incident, two people sustained serious injuries in a drive-by shooting in Pattani's Nong Chik district.

Harn Ratcharoen, 52, and Suphannee Wadkaeo, 41, were riding a motorcycle down Pattani-Hat Yai Road, when they were shot at by a .38 pistol. Suphannee, a vendor, had hired Harn to take her home from the market. They were both rushed to the Pattani Hospital. The shooting suspect's motorcycle licence plate was also found at the scene.

In Yala's Bannang Sata district, a 3-kilogram homemade bomb exploded, damaging a telephone box. Nobody was injured.

In related news, social-media users in Songkhla's Hat Yai district have been warning people to avoid going to shopping malls or other crowded areas in the district following threats of up to five car-bombs being placed at different spots in the South.

However, security officials insisted yesterday that they were providing the highest level of security in the province and that security guards in shopping malls were strictly screening every shopper's ID card and incoming vehicles.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-24

Dynamite found in Ranong
The Nation on Sunday

RANONG: -- Authorities in Ranong have beefed up security in the province after two sticks of dynamite were found on Thursday.

Ranong Governor Cherdsak Jampatet said he told all government agencies to increase monitoring and security measures to guard their premises and assets. He said it remained unclear why the explosives had been brought there.

Colonel Narin Phannarai, deputy chief of a unit overseeing internal security in the province, said that the explosive radius of each of the two pieces of dynamite was 10 metres. Security along the province's border was beefed up. Officials would inspect bags and vehicles of people crossing the Thailand-Myanmar border, he said. They would also seek intelligence about their source, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-24

Russian tourists allege travel scam
The Nation on Sunday

PATTAYA: -- About 10 Russian tourists yesterday filed a complaint with Pol Colonel Suwan Cheawnawinthawat, superintendent of Pattaya police station, calling on authorities to speed up their probe into a travel-company scam.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621272-3-million-baht-russian-tour-company-scam-reported-to-pattaya-police-chief/#entry6144248

Funeral gambling session raided
The Nation on Sunday

Six policemen yesterday raided a gambling operation set up at a local residence in Nakhon Si Thammarat that was hosting a funeral rite, seizing about Bt160,000 in alleged gambling money.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621473-funeral-gambling-session-raided/

Two Turks held in string of thefts
The Nation on Sunday

PATTAYA: -- Police have arrested two Turkish men for allegedly snatching cash from stores in shopping malls in provinces in the East.

Pattaya Immigration Police arrested Bulent Sualp, 64, and Olgugu Karadalioglu after an employee of a camera shop in Rayong filed a case against them on February 16 claiming they snatched 15 Bt1,000 banknotes from him at the shop.

Police said the men had confessed to committing the crime at many shops in Chon Buri and Rayong.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-24

No plan to cut noise pollution from governor candidates
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The coordinator of a civic group pushing for the reduction of noise pollution in Bangkok said none of the city governor candidates seems to have paid much attention to the issue - but the group is making inroads in reducing noise by talking directly to its target groups.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621476-no-plan-to-cut-noise-pollution-from-governor-candidates/

Yingluck agrees Bangkok race much tighter than expected
The Nation on Sunday

30200653-01_big.jpg
The Democrat Party holds an election rally for its gubernatorial candidate, Sukhumbhand Paribatra, at the Royal Plaza yesterday. After the event, attended by many senior party figures, a caravan of vehicles took to the streets to campaign among Bangkok voters

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621236-bangkok-gubernatorial-election-no-upset-victory-expected-in-city-polls/#entry6144290

Phuket Opinion: Time to rein in rogue cops
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Thalang_Police_District_has_b
Thalang Police District has been the site of numerous anti-police protests in the past, which often ended with the lightning transfer of the offending officer, but rarely, if ever, prosecution. Image: Gazette Graphics

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621486-phuket-opinion-time-to-rein-in-rogue-cops/

Bombings, tire burnings in Pattani.
By Digital Media

1361680130-640x390x2.jpg

Pattani, Feb twenty fourth - No One was Wounded from bombings and Tire Burnigns at several locations in the Violence-plagued Province of Pattani Saturday night.

Seven people including the Assistant District Officer suffered ringing ears in a bombing on a Vehicle of Defence Volunteers in the Provincial. seat. Another bomb placed in a rubbish pile went off in the Pattani provincial seat, but no one was reported wounded.

Tire Burings were Reported at over Ten Spots in the Provincial Seat, Mayo, Nong Chik and Sai Buri districts. Security Officials risks may Security on Saturday night with a Helicopter on Patrol and all Mobile phone signals were Cut off.

In the Adjacent Province of Yala,. a bomb disposal unit inspected a suspicious item at a rest area near the youth centre in the Yala municipality. However, it was found to be an empty box. Security was heightened still in the Municipality Area. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-02-24

Three people wounded in twin bombs outside convenience store in Narathiwat.
By Digital Media

1361682987-640x390x2.jpg

Narathiwat, the twenty third Feb - Two Army Rangers and a Three-year-Old Boy Wounded in twin bombs were at a convenience Store Opposite a Ranger Regiment. occurred Saturday Afternoon in The Two bombs Rangae District.

The first bomb in a trash bin went off, followed by the other bomb, hidden in a motorcycle parked in front of the convenience store less than half an hour later.

One pick-up truck and four motorcycle were damaged.Footage from a surveillance camera captured the image of two teenage suspects. The police are searching for them.

Col Chalermchai Sutthianuan, commander of the 45th Ranger Regiment said the bombings were presumed to be the work of members of an armed insurgent group active in the area. (MCOT online news).

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-024