Border Crossing Nakhon Phanom

Sporting Dog

Flying into Nakhon Phanom in a few weeks - arriving at about 4pm. I want to cross over to Takhek in Laos on the same day.

Does anyone know if that is doable? It will be a saturday and I'm not sure what time the bridge closes. We'll be using public transport from the airport.

Also I may end up driving there - is there a secure place to leave a car for a couple of days near the bridge - like at Nong Khai?

Also if I do get a car I thought I may have a look around - maybe go up to Wat Phu Tok up further north.

Anyone been there - is it worth the drive? Any other suggestions of places to visit? If we've got a car we'll be coming from/to Khon Kaen.

Thanks for any advice

• 1 month later...

I have been across the other 2 bridges, they are open from 6am to 10pm. I just saw a link (in Thai) that stated that as of Nov 11, 2012 the Nakorn Phanom to Tha Khaek Bridge (3rd Friendship Bridge) has extended it's opening hours until 10pm as well, previously the bridge closed at 6pm.

There are quite a few cross border bus services so arriving at 4pm is no problem for crossing into Laos.