100% Honey ,means In Thailand 80%sugar!

Sandman77

I have seen the street vendors selling the fake, bottled honey but they often carry some honey combs for effect.

Generally in a bag contained in a bucket on Samui and you just have to taste it to know if it's real. I don't make anything that uses honey (or sugar) but I buy it if I see it and give it as a gift.

I have seen those honey sellers on Samui. carrying honey combs in a big plastick bucket. 400 baht for a bottle of honey. Any idea if that is real or fake honey?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the street vendors selling the fake, bottled honey but they often carry some honey combs for effect.

Generally in a bag contained in a bucket on Samui and you just have to taste it to know if it's real. I don't make anything that uses honey (or sugar) but I buy it if I see it and give it as a gift.
I have seen those honey sellers on Samui. carrying honey combs in a big plastick bucket. 400 baht for a bottle of honey. Any idea if that is real or fake honey?
I've not seen fake myself but I know that it happens, you just have to do the taste test a couple of times to check (if you know what honey tastes like). 400 is a bit rich! I generally pay around the 180 mark which doesn't seem too much as I'm buying it with a view to giving it away as a gift to Thai friends. Don't forget that taking bee products into many countries is highly restricted I should add.

In southern Loei province, we had a bee keeper who had about 500 hives. He sold the honey to a Frenchman who exported it to Europe. The processing equipment was stainless steel and expensive. The quality checks were extensive and the honey had to be 100 % pure. If I remember, correctly,the honey was shipped in special 40 liter containers. Unfortunately the bee keeper has passed away and his widow sold the operation piece meal.

• Like 1

I think the content depends on what the bee's are fed. It's common practice to put out pans of sugar water to increase yield and profits.

The best feed would be slowly acquiring sugars from flowers etc but takes longer.

So even if one buys the honey comb it's tricky about what one will receive health and quality wise.

Usually real and price very negotiable IMHO. I have bought like this several times and always happy whether there was sugar added or not. The folks I have bought this from were always the people who climbed the tree to get it and live in the sticks. My grandfather kept about twenty bee hives for his orchard and from what I know these people have real unadulterated wild honey

Edited by bunta71

• 3 weeks later...

I think the content depends on what the bee's are fed. It's common practice to put out pans of sugar water to increase yield and profits.

The best feed would be slowly acquiring sugars from flowers etc but takes longer.

So even if one buys the honey comb it's tricky about what one will receive health and quality wise.

Having taken their stored-honey, during & at the end of the honeyflow, beekeepers then have to feed replacement sugar-syrup to keep the colony going, through the cold winter or off-season, when there's insufficient pollen/nectar available from flowers.

They try to clear any stocks of stored-sugar, from the frames, before harvesting starts, by reducing fed-sugar in the run-up to the honeyflow.

• Like 1

If you're that concerned it's easy enough to source genuine natural honey here, but you're either going to be picking out the bee's knees yourself or paying a lot more than the standard Tesco price to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick easy way to check if honey is pure is to dip a small piece of cloth in it and light it on fire. Genuine honey will burn while that which is mixed with cane syrup will sputter and pop.

I never heard that one. I will try it... mainly because it's something to do.... :)

No honey, more money

What's the price of sugar these days?

Forty-five kilos, about 1500 baht. Doesn't last a long time, though.

You can get creams for that.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A quick easy way to check if honey is pure is to dip a small piece of cloth in it and light it on fire. Genuine honey will burn while that which is mixed with cane syrup will sputter and pop.

But just why in God's name would you know that?

Green Terrorist in training looking for more enviromentally friendly explosives..

• 1 month later...

Anyone who can recommend a good supplier please PM me. I will take honey in larger containers or pre-packed in 100gm and 200gm sizes (Approx) for tourist market. I have been unhappy with samples from Pattaya area. I want a good product at fair price.

There are a couple of brands I trust to some extent in the larger supermarkets, I would simply approach the manufacturer to purchase in bulk.

Or in your case maybe you don't actually care that much if it's cut with sugar water or not?

I personally prefer to buy from the peasants who actually climb up the trees and collect wild honey and then come around and sell it, you can see the bee's knees and all, easy enough to filter yourself if you don't like the look of that.

Or when I come across an aviary in the countryside, I know of one just outside of Khorat, on the left side of the road heading toward Buri Ram. . .

That might be so if honey stayed static over the years but just as the

flavor changes with the flowers the medicinal purposes could also change

I really am no hippy, however I tend to find evidence that nature does

provide for most of man's medical needs. How about dogs sniffing

cancer? St John's Wort for depression? Most medical drugs come from

identifying the active component in a natural cure and then synthesising

it en-masse.

Careful, this might start an off topic discussion on Ganja and its benefits

That would be an interesting trick to try in tescos !

Having taken their stored-honey, during & at the end of the honeyflow, beekeepers then have to feed replacement sugar-syrup to keep the colony going, through the cold winter or off-season, when there's insufficient pollen/nectar available from flowers.

They try to clear any stocks of stored-sugar, from the frames, before harvesting starts, by reducing fed-sugar in the run-up to the honeyflow.

The percentage of sugar syrup to honey is an important point and as a beekeeper it can also be an issue about the vitality of the hive. In the UK the season is shorter than in Thailand, but with environmental stresses now seen in many countries, the practice of feeding sugar syrup can extend into the pollinating season.

If you are fortunate to taste wild bee honey you might understand what pure honey has to offer. If you watch Jimmy Doherty's trip to wild bees in Nepal you'll see some of this joy and excitement and its a shared interest I have with my Thai (monk) father in-law.

The percentage of sugar syrup to honey is an important point and as a beekeeper it can also be an issue about the vitality of the hive. In the UK the season is shorter than in Thailand, but with environmental stresses now seen in many countries, the practice of feeding sugar syrup can extend into the pollinating season.

If you are fortunate to taste wild bee honey you might understand what pure honey has to offer. If you watch Jimmy Doherty's trip to wild bees in Nepal you'll see some of this joy and excitement and its a shared interest I have with my Thai (monk) father in-law.

For jimmy Doherty's trip see; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d298z