Graffiti Or Street Art.....u.s. Consulate

eyecatcher

No doubt many of you will have already noticed the new street art that adorns the walls to the US consulate.

post-150623-0-88597600-1361694874_thumb. post-150623-0-01354300-1361694962_thumb.

I am not a US citizen but it appears to be giving the message about “Two Nations; One Friendship” (a 180yr partnership) history I am not familiar with but with many depictions trying to amalgamate Thai/US; such as the Eaglephant.

They appear to have been done by different schools, colleges and together I think they look brilliant; and the artists no doubt under 18yo are certainly talented.

post-150623-0-76511200-1361695050_thumb. post-150623-0-60666800-1361695132_thumb.

What do you think? And for our US members are you proud to see them on the Consulate walls?

• Like 2

re

They appear to have been done by different schools, colleges and together I think they look brilliant; and the artists no doubt under 18yo are certainly talented.

hes right .... and i see them as art smile.png

the graffiti is all over chiang mai and some of them look good to me as well

dave2 ... a brit :

ps the red one at the bottom was done on the wall of the

dead gas station by bangkok bank on the outer south moat

last week !

post-42592-0-31000600-1361703791_thumb.j

post-42592-0-08706200-1361703838_thumb.j

post-42592-0-39382900-1361703883_thumb.j

post-42592-0-67873000-1361703927_thumb.j

post-42592-0-49301300-1361703980_thumb.j

post-42592-0-27982600-1361704013_thumb.j

post-42592-0-60985600-1361704057_thumb.j

post-42592-0-93270800-1361704124_thumb.j

post-42592-0-82944000-1361704305_thumb.j

• Like 1

When I first came to live in CM there was no graffiti anywhere...................and I was thankful.

Now I see poor graffiti all the time...................................................... and I think it's a shame

Agree with this.

• Like 1

When I tried to photograph this work, a guard came running out and told me to stop. I didn't stop right away, and he started making hand gestures that suggested handcuffing.

I decided to walk on down to the market.

It's probably copyrighted.

When I tried to photograph this work, a guard came running out and told me to stop. I didn't stop right away, and he started making hand gestures that suggested handcuffing.

That is brilliant. They paint the walls of a place where you're not allowed to take photos.

TIT + USA

That is brilliant. They paint the walls of a place where you're not allowed to take photos.

TIT + USA

I like the paintings and if you check some of the other posts you will see pictures of them.

I really don't think they painted them. I would bet it was done by out side people.

Good Job of it also.

In image 1, they probably don't know that in the USA the elephant is a symbol of bigotry and ignorance.

As an American, I find the paintings sweet. Also, seeing them on the walls of the Embassy seems rather normal to me, as I see this kind of thing at schools and other public buildings in America quite often. I'm not sure I agree with this guy who says the Elephant is a symbol of bigotry and ignorance though. But I'm pretty sure he was making a joke and referring to the Republican party. Though because I'm an American, I understand that the Republican party and this symbol was created over one hundred years ago when the Republicans were the "anti-slavery" party. I guess that's what he means by ignorant. :-)
I have no problem with the anti slavery part or the ignorance part.

Please feel free to plug in the ________________.

Edited by hellodolly

You are photographing a U.S. Consulate - maybe for inappropriate reasons, as in 'terrorist attack'!

The fact that you may be taking photos of the paintings isn't known to the security guards. The artwork may be just a pretext for actually capturing the details of cameras, fencing, gates and other details of the security system.

Use your head, before you lose your head.

• Like 2

You see these school-children painted murals on other U.S. embassies and consulates in other countries. Probably some U.S. State Dept. sponsored program, to get the local kids indoctrinated educated about the U.S.

Part of the U.S. propaganda program. Don't think military, drones, rendition and torture - think FREEDOM! LIBERTY! JUSTICE FOR ALL! (except for everyone we don't like.)

You see these school-children painted murals on other U.S. embassies and consulates in other countries. Probably some U.S. State Dept. sponsored program, to get the local kids indoctrinated educated about the U.S.

Part of the U.S. propaganda program. Don't think military, drones, rendition and torture - think FREEDOM! LIBERTY! JUSTICE FOR ALL! (except for everyone we don't like.)

Or who has anything worth taking.
  • Like 1

So why would the US need such a large compound with so many employees? What are all those people doing?

The UK gets by with a consulate that has 2 local full-time hires and a (voluntary) honorary consul. You don't need an appointment and the staff are professional and pleasant.

DEA actually has its own large compound elsewhere in town. It's in a very busy area and you've probably passed it a thousand times without knowing. The consulate itself has staff for the consular section, trade section, political and military liaison, and all the support and service staff connected to these functions. They've been talking about relocating it to a less vulnerable spot, in light of security concerns.

• Like 1

With regards to the size of the US consulate I believe (but could be wrong) that it is possible for a Thai citizen to obtain a US visa at the US consulate but it is not possible for a Thai citizen to obtain a UK visa at the UK consulate (my wife has to go to Bangkok for this)

The British Consulate has a vice consul and an honorary consul and whilst I have found the staff there friendly and professional I wonder what they do all day apart from charging £50 to stamp and sign forms I fill in ;)

Edited by narkeddiver

So why would the US need such a large compound with so many employees? What are all those people doing?

The UK gets by with a consulate that has 2 local full-time hires and a (voluntary) honorary consul. You don't need an appointment and the staff are professional and pleasant.

Compare the 2 nations, one is the worlds leading economy, covering most of a continent with 300,000,000 people, the other is a small, nearly insignificant island nation.

Edited by daoyai
  • Like 2

Compare the 2 nations, one is the worlds leading economy, covering most of a continent with 300,000,000 people, the other is a small, nearly insignificant island nation.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. I guess it wasn't clear.

Is the consulate serving Americans well? I've read posts on here that you need an appointment to enter, you wait weeks for an appointment and then you wait outside a high wall with no seating nor shade while you wait to enter and then the staff aren't particularly friendly or helpful anyway.

With reference to the comment "world's leading economy":

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I'm disappointed that it took 16 posts for the America bashing to begin. ThaiVisa is slipping..

The truth hurts!