Power Buy's Customer Answer

toenail

I do (did) a lot of my purchases at Power Buy at Central. 80% of the time I go there, I have to wait 20 minutes or more for a clerk to be free or go to the desk to ask for someone to help me (such as finding the correct ink cartridge or informaton on a camera...). Tonight I was shuffled around between two clerks that couldn't help me since it was not their "area"...so I decided to ask for the manager and give him a suggestion to hire more people to work in the store. When I finished my sharing my experiences to him and kindly suggested that having more clerks may help (they are helpful when you finally get one) he looked at me and told me to go to another Power Buy in another city. - Amazing Pattaya "customer service".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a look at the Samsung Galaxy S II in that very same shop. While talking to the lady behind the counter she showed me a closed box of a Samsung galaxy and on my question if I could have a look at it she answered me that I could go to the Samsung shop nearby for that and then come back to buy it at Powerbuy. laugh.png

Went to another powerbuy on Klang on 5 February and they had a promotion that lasted till 6 March, sign written in Thai, they told me that I had to buy right away as the promotion would finish the next day.

I knew he was lying as I had informed myself about the promotion prior to going to that branch.

Completely agree with tropo

Being a shop manager and have customers tell me how to lead my business... specially in Thailand where loss of face is such an issue... can only lead to one answer... whether spoken or thought...

So the manager basically told you to F-off.

They just find it annoying when Farang come along and try to give them advice about how to run a business.

I really think you'd get a similar reaction from a manager in any store anywhere in the world if you told them they should get more staff. Even if they didn't say it, they'd be thinking it.

I like shopping at PowerBuy because the staff tend to leave you alone.

Great business model and sure to be a roaring success in future years. Actually, I doubt it.

Rule No.1 in business is professionalism. No.2 - the most lucrative customers are repeat customers.

Robinpattaya, also has a point, the staff in Power Buy look disinterested and apathetic, but for the customer to staff ratio I'd say there are far too many staff.

The manager can use expletives til his heart's content, whether he says it or thinks it, when he and his staff are redundant and the business folds.

Mark my words.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Go to NUMCHAI there is one on the sukhumvit and another in Naklua ,i have had excellent service from them for years ,also their after sales service is good

Just go to Power Buy. I've bought many things there and also brought back stuff for repair. I've never had a problem. I think it is Farang impatience and not understanding how things are done here that is the problem. Power Buy must be doing something right because they're basically the go to store for electrical appliances.

They just find it annoying when Farang come along and try to give them advice about how to run a business.

I really think you'd get a similar reaction from a manager in any store anywhere in the world if you told them they should get more staff. Even if they didn't say it, they'd be thinking it.

Great business model and sure to be a roaring success in future years. Actually, I doubt it.

Rule No.1 in business is professionalism. No.2 - the most lucrative customers are repeat customers.

Robinpattaya, also has a point, the staff in Power Buy look disinterested and apathetic, but for the customer to staff ratio I'd say there are far too many staff.

The manager can use expletives til his heart's content, whether he says it or thinks it, when he and his staff are redundant and the business folds.

Mark my words.

I'll mark your words, so I can see you with egg on your face in 5 years time. They will be doing fine in the future just as they are doing well now, the reason being that they provide a good line of products at competitive prices. The products sell themselves - they don't need a good sales team to do it.

Power buy

Experience 1.

Bought 2 fancy fans worth 5000 baht each.

Fans break after 1 month use, take it back for 1 month repair, receive it back for 1 more month and broken again.

On the 3rd visit, i demanded new fans as these ones CLEARLY were broken, was given new fans and told no more warranty.

Funny enough the new fans broke after 1 month of use.

Experience 2.

Bought an adapter 159 baht, returned 3 days later as i needed different shape. The first one has not been opened, just did not have time to return on the same day.

Was told can not exchange for another shape, can only exchange if faulty. while the policy behind them states 10 days return.

Sure, some like to shop there?! Though i doubt those who claim to like to shop there, ever purchased anything from there.

• Like 1

Mark my words.

I'll mark your words, so I can see you with egg on your face in 5 years time. They will be doing fine in the future just as they are doing well now, the reason being that they provide a good line of products at competitive prices. The products sell themselves - they don't need a good sales team to do it.

You're right, good products at competitive prices. But the issue is actually buying the things, I also tried to buy something, didn't need it to be sold to me, but the problem was just getting somebody to take my money.

Go to NUMCHAI there is one on the sukhumvit and another in Naklua ,i have had excellent service from them for years ,also their after sales service is good

Just go to Power Buy. I've bought many things there and also brought back stuff for repair. I've never had a problem. I think it is Farang impatience and not understanding how things are done here that is the problem. Power Buy must be doing something right because they're basically the go to store for electrical appliances.

The only thing they are doing right is being part of HUGE company, it does not however mean it is a profitable arm of the business.

Farang being impatient???? and not understand how things are done? so do tell me how things are donerolleyes.gif

In my case, i should be patient to live without a fan for a month? and be even more understanding when it breaks every month? Sure i would be if this was 100 baht fan, certainly not when its 5000 baht fan

Mark my words.

You're right, good products at competitive prices. But the issue is actually buying the things, I also tried to buy something, didn't need it to be sold to me, but the problem was just getting somebody to take my money.

I've passed over plenty of cash there with no problems whatsoever. I just don't understand all this whining about poor customer service.

Mark my words.

Lucky you did not try to buy bulk, once i enquired about buying all new electronics for my hotel- tv's, dvd's, fridges, microwave's, kettles.

Putting aside it took all day to get any kind of pricing, the final quote was more than the prices in store. Must be because i am a farang who does not understand that buying bulk is not only suppose to be cheaper or same price, but more expansive

Ended up buying everything from big C, got 10 % discount plus baskets filled with all sorts of things, plus chocolates from the store manager who came out to thank me.

The only thing they are doing right is being part of HUGE company, it does not however mean it is a profitable arm of the business.

Farang being impatient???? and not understand how things are done? so do tell me how things are donerolleyes.gif

In my case, i should be patient to live without a fan for a month? and be even more understanding when it breaks every month? Sure i would be if this was 100 baht fan, certainly not when its 5000 baht fan

Well, you certainly don't understand how things are done here, that's for sure.

You buy a special fancy fan - get a new one under warranty... that's the end of the warranty - that's typical procedure here.

Then you expect an exchange on this faulty fan instantly, not knowing that these repairs typically take a month here. It's the same for most things bought here.

Then you buy something you decide was a wrong choice and expect an exchange not knowing that exchanges are only done on faulty goods, not because you decide you bought the wrong shape.

The problem is you.

... when one needs to have the display case unlocked in order to get the appropriate ink cartridge for their HP printer ...or to get the correct information about a particular Samsung touch cell phone...or to check on an "out of stock" item, one needs to use the clerks. The point is NOT that the workers are not helpful, it is the short supply of them and how a manager at Power Buy at Central could sit on his buttocks and not care about improving his store. The point is, why would you tell a regular customer to go to shop at a Power Buy in Bangkok?

True, in most stores in Pattaya, (including Central Dept. store) stores are clueless about customer service and that is due to no good roll models to follow. "Saving face" seems to hinder improvement in this culture.

I need to go to bkk, kl, Singapore, Australia or hk every year. I am so sick of

Pattaya's mai-mee attitude that I prefer to make a big list and do my shopping when I am at these places that I visit.

an old timer used to say that some shop staff here have a face you just want to slap and I used to think it very odd. Now I know what he means.

Well, you certainly don't understand how things are done here, that's for sure.

You buy a special fancy fan - get a new one under warranty... that's the end of the warranty - that's typical procedure here.

Then you expect an exchange on this faulty fan instantly, not knowing that these repairs typically take a month here. It's the same for most things bought here.

Then you buy something you decide was a wrong choice and expect an exchange not knowing that exchanges are only done on faulty goods, not because you decide you bought the wrong shape.

The problem is you.

I am glad you decided to comment on knowing things.

Were you aware that they have 10 days return policy? so yes if i change my mind, or do not like it or simply feel like wasting some time, UNDER THEIR RULES, i am entitled to a refund within 10 days.

What you do not understand, is that doing exchange or refund requires few mins of thinking and doing paperwork, which takes away from chatting so it is then turned into "can not"

Then onto the question of fan, yes it comes with 1 year warranty ie its expected to work for 1 year, it is not expected to break after 1 month use.

Customer is also not expected to return every month after repairs for the very same problem, and customer sure is expects to have that warranty honored for that 1 year, not to be told no more warranty because it breaks too often

You sure know it allw00t.gif

You sure know it allw00t.gif

I did know exactly what the policy would be in each of your predicaments. As I said, you don't know how things work here.

Most of the whinging here is due to people thinking that everything should be exactly the same here as it is in their wonderful home countries. The sooner you lose those expectations the sooner you can enjoy this country for what it is.

Just remember where you are, stop the whining and enjoy life.

• Like 2

Farangs in Pattaya think their white skin makes them experts in business -- and everything else. I get tired of their offensive bloviating.

To understand the Thai business model, go to Home Pro.

They will have 20 staff members standing around talking, when you ask for assistance, it is never their department.

One time I was told the person in that department was at lunch, what,not one of the 20 loiterers can't be trained to cover that department.

As for Power Buy, they are always too busy watching TV or playing on the computers.

I stormed out of Pattaya Klang store one day after giving them a piece of my frustrated mind.

I felt a whole lot better but they kept watching TV as usual & didn't even flinch.

Foolish me to think they would care what a customer thinks about their service....haha

Actually, Home Pro has it right.

Do you really think all the people in their stores are employed by HP?

Home Pro lease out floor space to various manufacturers, thats why when you want something the staff only push their product for commission.

That "pretty" selling Samsung is only interested in selling Samsung, if you want Panasonic talk to the Panasonic "pretty", thats why they DGAF.

You sure know it all:w00t:

I did know exactly what the policy would be in each of your predicaments. As I said, you don't know how things work here.

Most of the whinging here is due to people thinking that everything should be exactly the same here as it is in their wonderful home countries. The sooner you lose those expectations the sooner you can enjoy this country for what it is.

Just remember where you are, stop the whining and enjoy life.

I see so the 10 day return policy written in both english and thai REALLY has no meaning and is there for decoration?

Funny though how it is used as decoration ONLY in Power Buy, and NOT in Big C or any other major outlet

If you bought a new ฿50,000 Samsung Smart 3D TV and it didn't work and ended up in the same predicament as lemoncake and his ฿5,000 fan, you wouldn't be miffed?

If you bought a new ฿50,000 Samsung Smart 3D TV and it didn't work and ended up in the same predicament as lemoncake and his ฿5,000 fan, you wouldn't be miffed?

I brought back a stereo system that went dead on me. They fixed it (sent it to Bangkok - takes a month). The ironic thing is that a power spike caused the damage (some bad work by electricians - damaged other applicances in the house too) and I should have paid for the repair.smile.png

If it was a 50,000 Samsung TV I'd have the option of dealing directly with Samsung. It works that way in many stores - you take it to the manufacturer's service centre.

I wouldn't buy an oddball fancy fan. I'd stick with well known brands with service centres in the area.

I brought back a stereo system that went dead on me. They fixed it (sent it to Bangkok - takes a month). The ironic thing is that a power spike caused the damage (some bad work by electricians - damaged other applicances in the house too) and I should have paid for the repair.smile.png

If it was a 50,000 Samsung TV I'd have the option of dealing directly with Samsung. It works that way in many stores - you take it to the manufacturer's service centre.

I wouldn't buy an oddball fancy fan. I'd stick with well known brands with service centres in the area.

Interesting comparison and theory.

Farangs in Pattaya think their white skin makes them experts in business -- and everything else. I get tired of their offensive bloviating.

They will have 20 staff members standing around talking, when you ask for assistance, it is never their department.

One time I was told the person in that department was at lunch, what,not one of the 20 loiterers can't be trained to cover that department.

As for Power Buy, they are always too busy watching TV or playing on the computers.

I stormed out of Pattaya Klang store one day after giving them a piece of my frustrated mind.

I felt a whole lot better but they kept watching TV as usual & didn't even flinch.

Foolish me to think they would care what a customer thinks about their service....haha

Well folks, I am eating a little humble pie today after my post above.

I went to Power Buy in Tukom for a GPS, absolutely hopeless.

I then went to Central & met a lovely lady who really knew her stuff with GPS's.

There had been considerable homework & research done & I knew exactly what I wanted.

Nevertheless, she was a great help in changing to English, explaining some features & even sent the English book via her private email to me.

There are weight of numbers in the lazy buggers & very few good employees, I got a great one.

Well done to this lady.

• Like 2