Decline On Sterling (The Pound)

pipchatel

Hi Guys Im sure you Brits among us are also aware and concerned about the decline of our currency. I have been in the Land of Smiles for 15 years. I have seen it up and down, but just lately, just now not so worrying. In a way i must be quite lucky, i have 4 UK pensions, but alas these have declined these past few years by nearly 20%!

We have had to make changes to our life style to try to make up for it. We now keep our travels within Thailand, we have rented out a second home to make up the loss.We watch our spending. We have 3 kids at private schools!The tossers running our lovely old country, are complete idiots and dont know what to do. They think that a de valued pound is going to get the UK econemy working again, wrong. The culture of benifits,mass immigration and a work shy facebook generation, puts the UK in Kanakazi mode.

Out there there must be alot of you same same, and maybe, just maybe some with good advice about the future.

Thanks to read

Pip

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you, I'm a Brit and have lived in Thailand for quite some time (seventeen and a half years) and the current situation regarding the pound is not good. Just a matter of tightening one's belt and hoping for better days......wishful thinking??

The UKP is now worth 30-40% more than it was when you moved here, what exactly is your problem?

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Like you, I'm a Brit and have lived in Thailand for quite some time (seventeen and a half years) and the current situation regarding the pound is not good. Just a matter of tightening one's belt and hoping for better days......wishful thinking??

The UKP is now worth 30-40% more than it was when you moved here, what exactly is your problem?

My problem, as you put it, is that I've seen the pound soar to over 90 baht to the pound whilst living here so the current rate is somewhat galling.....regardless of what it was when I first came here!

Just because the OP appears to be well off doesn't mean to say he's not feeling the squeeze.

We all want to live the life that we are accustomed, if not better, and having the children privately educated is at huge additional expense.

The guy is worried like everyone else.

He's still getting 30-40% more from his pensions than he was getting when he originally came here.

Seems greedy to me.

"The culture of benifits,mass immigration and a work shy facebook generation, puts the UK in Kanakazi mode."

You've not been here for 15 years. How do you come by the above info? You been reading the DM?

don't need to have returned to know this...it is one of the most factful and true things that has been written on here for quite some time!

Although I don't pity the 4 pensions and rental of 2nd home and 3x kids at private school bit....perhaps send the missus out to get a job or something?

I get three or four requests for a job every day in life........to one extent it's heart rending to see, on the other hand I am convinced that the UK is on the right path.

The downgrading was a good thing, it reminds us all that the debt problem is the biggest single issue facing the UK and we can't slacken off in regards to tackling it.

There's been far, far, far too much feather bedding and a jobs for life attitude in the UK. Abysmal teachers and nurses are virtually unsackable, many people skip onto long term sickness on full pay at every opportunity.

My sister was the third in command of Burger King in Scotland, she spent 20 years in private industry, she took an adult degree course and changed careers to join the NHS Human Resources department as a senior manager in my home county. What she found horrified her, I've mentioned it before on the forum so I won't repeat.

She says that the NHS unions have far too much power, however she also says that the unions have now started to support management when it comes to addressing the long term sickness problem, as even they have been disgusted and horrified at some of the stories being uncovered. People being off sick for 12 YEARS!!

We're all in it together, I was going to semi-retire this year but instead of that I'm starting a new company, I'm in the process of renovating the premises right now. I reckon that I'll have about 15 new employees and trainees by the end of this year. I want a lot more next year.

There are far too many talented and experienced people retiring far too early. I wish they would come out of retirement and put their shoulder to the wheel, we need them. My parents are 68 this year, they are coming out of retirement to help my new company.

It's easy to ladle opprobrium against the current government, this government was left holding the baby, and the baby ain't happy.

Do us UK based members a favour, and give us a break........we've got our shoulder to the wheel, we're all in it together, so rather than moan about all things British, try a radical new approach. How about supporting us? and some of you guys that are young enough, how about stepping out of the bar, walking off the beach, and coming back to give us a hand?.

I know two men that have returned from overseas retirement to do exactly that, these guys aren't skint, they saw their old companies struggling and they came back and put the working gear on.

You have no idea how proud of these men I am. Come on gents......let's get to it.

bloody hell, thats a speech written for parliment mate clap2.gif

• Like 2

I get three or four requests for a job every day in life........to one extent it's heart rending to see, on the other hand I am convinced that the UK is on the right path.

The downgrading was a good thing, it reminds us all that the debt problem is the biggest single issue facing the UK and we can't slacken off in regards to tackling it.

There's been far, far, far too much feather bedding and a jobs for life attitude in the UK. Abysmal teachers and nurses are virtually unsackable, many people skip onto long term sickness on full pay at every opportunity.

My sister was the third in command of Burger King in Scotland, she spent 20 years in private industry, she took an adult degree course and changed careers to join the NHS Human Resources department as a senior manager in my home county. What she found horrified her, I've mentioned it before on the forum so I won't repeat.

She says that the NHS unions have far too much power, however she also says that the unions have now started to support management when it comes to addressing the long term sickness problem, as even they have been disgusted and horrified at some of the stories being uncovered. People being off sick for 12 YEARS!!

We're all in it together, I was going to semi-retire this year but instead of that I'm starting a new company, I'm in the process of renovating the premises right now. I reckon that I'll have about 15 new employees and trainees by the end of this year. I want a lot more next year.

There are far too many talented and experienced people retiring far too early. I wish they would come out of retirement and put their shoulder to the wheel, we need them. My parents are 68 this year, they are coming out of retirement to help my new company.

It's easy to ladle opprobrium against the current government, this government was left holding the baby, and the baby ain't happy.

Do us UK based members a favour, and give us a break........we've got our shoulder to the wheel, we're all in it together, so rather than moan about all things British, try a radical new approach. How about supporting us? and some of you guys that are young enough, how about stepping out of the bar, walking off the beach, and coming back to give us a hand?.

I know two men that have returned from overseas retirement to do exactly that, these guys aren't skint, they saw their old companies struggling and they came back and put the working gear on.

You have no idea how proud of these men I am. Come on gents......let's get to it.

There will always be talented guys out there that really need to put their feet up and do what they have always craved to do and forgetting about business, making money, no worries.

Life is to short, no second chance, especially in your late years and cash is of no concern.

I can only sympathise with my British friends living in LOS. Im from the nanny state of australia and fortunately our currency is

really strong atm. Everytime the Reserve bank lowers the cash rate I lose money on my savings. Last yr I was earning 5.25% AND now its down to 4.75%.

Currencies fluctuate and one can only hope the the pound recovers and all returns to normal.

Oh to have such worries............

3 kids in private school.......

Renting out the second home......

Feel free to come back and tell the working man in the UK how difficult things are for you.

I'd sell the kids.

Oh to have such worries............

3 kids in private school.......

Renting out the second home......

Feel free to come back and tell the working man in the UK how difficult things are for you.

I'd sell the kids.
Could you include my kids, the wife and her buffalo in the deal?

With all this economic chaos, I just can’t afford to keep them anymore.

• Like 1