Decline On Sterling (The Pound)

pipchatel

I'd recommend buying an investment property in the East End of Glasgow, convenient for a station, off the main road but near a handy bus route to the city centre.

SC

Why thank you very much for your free impartial advice, such a rarity these days.

As for investment property in the East End, I was under the impression the Indian slum landlords had bought them all already.

My friends in the land of the jock recommend either Edinburgh or St Andrews, but what do I know.

Over-valued, and when the ethnic cleansing starts after independence, those areas will be badly affected. You want somewhere with not too many English people, and you want to move quickly, before the prices skyrocket in the run-up to the referendum...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British expats in Thailand complaining about immigrants to the UK.

Do these idiots think before they hit the 'post' button?

Just to point out

Expats have no rights and get nothing from the country they live in.

Immigrants get everything (and more) that the locals get.

Really not the same.

just to point out...

indirectly i get a lot from the country i live. in 2009 that country gave me (actually enabled me to save) ~€ 425,000, in 2010 it was ~€ 135,000, in 2011 a meager ~€ 80,000 and in 2012 ~€ 190,000 ...not to mention what i saved by not paying income tax during those 4½ before 2009.

based on the afore-mentioned i am gladly willing to forego some "rights" which i would enjoy in my home country not withstanding the fact that a zillion limitations and bullshitting in my home country would by far compensate in a negative way all my "rights".

really not the same? INDEED! thumbsup.gif

I'd recommend buying an investment property in the East End of Glasgow, convenient for a station, off the main road but near a handy bus route to the city centre.

SC

Why thank you very much for your free impartial advice, such a rarity these days.

As for investment property in the East End, I was under the impression the Indian slum landlords had bought them all already.

My friends in the land of the jock recommend either Edinburgh or St Andrews, but what do I know.

Over-valued, and when the ethnic cleansing starts after independence, those areas will be badly affected. You want somewhere with not too many English people, and you want to move quickly, before the prices skyrocket in the run-up to the referendum...
Once again thank you for your insight.

Ok, trip to the UK this summer cancelled, will wait for independance and pick up a badly affected property.

Bloody top advice, pommie peso should be about 30 to the baht by then, owe you a beer or three, youve just saved me a small fortune.

But - and don't let anyone tell you any different - The internet, Thaivisa in particular, the banter down the bar, everywhere (if you cared to listen) was the warning 'These exchange rates are not going to last".

Some took heed of these warnings, some gloried in the cheap days and started a variable cost life style on a fixed income.

Now its time to blame the British Government for one's own folly.

All is not lost.

Sell high in Thailand, buy cheap in the UK.

That's a bit cheeky GH. You've always been one of the diehard leave your money in the UK where it's safer brigade laugh.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615739-whats-up-with-the-thai-baht/page-9

or the originals where you used to denounce Dr.Naam and otthers as heretics for moving money outside "safe" jurisdictions

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/155648-gbp-sterling/page-3

ukjackthai, on 2007-12-10 16:19:45, said:

Idealism!

100% cash in GBP 6.51% AER offshore. Only transfer (spending money) to LOS when THB/GBP rates are high.

Practicle? or stupid?

GuestHouse, on 2007-12-10 16:38:07, said:

While I don't see the need to put money offshore - tax free and feeless accounts are available on the mainland with better interest rates.

But in all other respects this is a good policy.

The Thai Baht is up and down like a tarts draws over any 12 month period. Just buy when you are happy with the rate....

GuestHouse, on 2007-12-09 00:01:00, said:snapback.png

Its not some inbuilt ability JK. As part of my overseas assignment package I receive free (company paid) access to one of the world's leading tax and investment advisory firms.

Their advice has been consistent - I don't need to put savings off shore to protect myself against tax. I should maintain my savings in my home currency (home being where I'll head if life goes to rat sh1t) and I should take advantage of the trust laws to ensure my family's future is protected.

Of course individual circumstances are different but my bet is that the fundamentals of the advice I have been given is good for everyone except for those with no savings and the super rich.

Edited by fletchsmile

SC

Once again thank you for your insight.

Ok, trip to the UK this summer cancelled, will wait for independance and pick up a badly affected property.

Bloody top advice, pommie peso should be about 30 to the baht by then, owe you a beer or three, youve just saved me a small fortune.

You should buy quickly. Property prices in Scotland will skyrocket in the run-up to independence and immediately after. You probably don't have time to go through an estate agent and get bogged down in all those legal problems; you need someone you can trust to fix you up with a property sharpish

SC

I get three or four requests for a job every day in life........to one extent it's heart rending to see, on the other hand I am convinced that the UK is on the right path.

The downgrading was a good thing, it reminds us all that the debt problem is the biggest single issue facing the UK and we can't slacken off in regards to tackling it.

There's been far, far, far too much feather bedding and a jobs for life attitude in the UK. Abysmal teachers and nurses are virtually unsackable, many people skip onto long term sickness on full pay at every opportunity.

My sister was the third in command of Burger King in Scotland, she spent 20 years in private industry, she took an adult degree course and changed careers to join the NHS Human Resources department as a senior manager in my home county. What she found horrified her, I've mentioned it before on the forum so I won't repeat.

She says that the NHS unions have far too much power, however she also says that the unions have now started to support management when it comes to addressing the long term sickness problem, as even they have been disgusted and horrified at some of the stories being uncovered. People being off sick for 12 YEARS!!

We're all in it together, I was going to semi-retire this year but instead of that I'm starting a new company, I'm in the process of renovating the premises right now. I reckon that I'll have about 15 new employees and trainees by the end of this year. I want a lot more next year.

There are far too many talented and experienced people retiring far too early. I wish they would come out of retirement and put their shoulder to the wheel, we need them. My parents are 68 this year, they are coming out of retirement to help my new company.

It's easy to ladle opprobrium against the current government, this government was left holding the baby, and the baby ain't happy.

Do us UK based members a favour, and give us a break........we've got our shoulder to the wheel, we're all in it together, so rather than moan about all things British, try a radical new approach. How about supporting us? and some of you guys that are young enough, how about stepping out of the bar, walking off the beach, and coming back to give us a hand?.

I know two men that have returned from overseas retirement to do exactly that, these guys aren't skint, they saw their old companies struggling and they came back and put the working gear on.

You have no idea how proud of these men I am. Come on gents......let's get to it.

bloody hell, thats a speech written for parliment mate clap2.gif

Norman Tebbit returns!

Won't be long before Cameron & Clegg,will be dishing out the "on your bike" speech!

SC......behave yourself cheesy.gif

Maybe he thinks we are as daft as he is.

Suggest he asks Mr Patel from the corner shop to put in an offer.

It's such an attractive area for development opportunities that the corner shop is run by a white fella, last time I was there. Handy for the pub, as well, though i didn't go in. There's a chippy round the corner, if you fancy a deep-fried mars bar.

SC

If you want to improve the exchange rate, that is one thing that you could do about it, yes.

Personally, I earn money in foreign countries and spend it in Britain. What do you do to help?

SC

Going to the UK in a few months, thinking on buying another property.

Have decided I will wait til the pommie peso hits 40 to the baht then buy, save a few quid into the bargain.

D'ont expect a cheap house!

Oh to have such worries............

3 kids in private school.......

Renting out the second home......

Feel free to come back and tell the working man in the UK how difficult things are for you.

Why are people so jealous?. Perhaps he went without,to pay for his children's private education,maybe he worked 14hrs a day ,when he was working.

You mention the working man in the UK,yes,I also feel sorry for those who work hard,or have been put on the dole through no fault of their own, yet still want to work.unfortunately as we all know,there's a part of the British people who are not prepared to work,they seem to think it's their right to be able to draw and live on the many benefits that they have been bribed with by successive governments.

nontabury......I'm not jealous of the OP, simply put......I'm far from skint.

However there are people all over the UK losing their homes, never mind having to " rent out the second home to make up the difference " as the OP put it.

Please forgive me if my heart fails to bleed at having to suffer the depredation of having to " rent out the second home to make up the difference ".

Also I'm fed up with British expats moaning about the UK, the Baby Boomers raped the country for every penny going and pulled the bridge up as they sailed off to their early retirements.

Now us younger guys are paying the bill. Thanks for that. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I get three or four requests for a job every day in life........to one extent it's heart rending to see, on the other hand I am convinced that the UK is on the right path.

The downgrading was a good thing, it reminds us all that the debt problem is the biggest single issue facing the UK and we can't slacken off in regards to tackling it.

There's been far, far, far too much feather bedding and a jobs for life attitude in the UK. Abysmal teachers and nurses are virtually unsackable, many people skip onto long term sickness on full pay at every opportunity.

My sister was the third in command of Burger King in Scotland, she spent 20 years in private industry, she took an adult degree course and changed careers to join the NHS Human Resources department as a senior manager in my home county. What she found horrified her, I've mentioned it before on the forum so I won't repeat.

She says that the NHS unions have far too much power, however she also says that the unions have now started to support management when it comes to addressing the long term sickness problem, as even they have been disgusted and horrified at some of the stories being uncovered. People being off sick for 12 YEARS!!

We're all in it together, I was going to semi-retire this year but instead of that I'm starting a new company, I'm in the process of renovating the premises right now. I reckon that I'll have about 15 new employees and trainees by the end of this year. I want a lot more next year.

There are far too many talented and experienced people retiring far too early. I wish they would come out of retirement and put their shoulder to the wheel, we need them. My parents are 68 this year, they are coming out of retirement to help my new company.

It's easy to ladle opprobrium against the current government, this government was left holding the baby, and the baby ain't happy.

Do us UK based members a favour, and give us a break........we've got our shoulder to the wheel, we're all in it together, so rather than moan about all things British, try a radical new approach. How about supporting us? and some of you guys that are young enough, how about stepping out of the bar, walking off the beach, and coming back to give us a hand?.

I know two men that have returned from overseas retirement to do exactly that, these guys aren't skint, they saw their old companies struggling and they came back and put the working gear on.

You have no idea how proud of these men I am. Come on gents......let's get to it.

bloody hell, thats a speech written for parliment mate clap2.gif

Norman Tebbit returns!

Won't be long before Cameron & Clegg,will be dishing out the "on your bike" speech!

Think they will be too busy oiling their bike chains to make a quick getaway....

Just to point out

Really not the same.

Quite true. The roads you drive on were built and paid for themselves. The car you drive doesn't benefit from a huge tax break from the governmet and the electricity that gets to your house does so magically via those electricity poll trees which are so common in the tropics. The doctor you visit paid for his own medical training in hospitals which magically popped up over night. All of this which allows the pension you receive not to be taxed a jot by the Thai government.

So of course you get nothing. Nothing at all.

• Like 1

Just to point out

Really not the same.

Quite true. The roads you drive on were built and paid for themselves. The car you drive doesn't benefit from a huge tax break from the governmet and the electricity that gets to your house does so magically via those electricity poll trees which are so common in the tropics. The doctor you visit paid for his own medical training in hospitals which magically popped up over night. All of this which allows the pension you receive not to be taxed a jot by the Thai government.

So of course you get nothing. Nothing at all.

Actually I do pay tax in Thailand, more tax than most of the Thai people in my village.

I probably pay more Thai income tax than everyone in my village added together.

The car I drive is nearly 20 years old, I don't think it got a tax break from the government.

The electricity in my wifes house was traveling along the wires and poles way before I moved in.

The doctor I visit, I have to pay for, as he works in a government hospital, that's a little bonus for him.

(And I'm about to pay for training my own doctor, who I'm sure will also be a benefit to the local community)

I appear to be an asset to Thailand rather than a liability ........ so far.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Feel free to come back and tell the working man in the UK how difficult things are for you.

Why are people so jealous?. Perhaps he went without,to pay for his children's private education,maybe he worked 14hrs a day ,when he was working.

You mention the working man in the UK,yes,I also feel sorry for those who work hard,or have been put on the dole through no fault of their own, yet still want to work.unfortunately as we all know,there's a part of the British people who are not prepared to work,they seem to think it's their right to be able to draw and live on the many benefits that they have been bribed with by successive governments.

However there are people all over the UK losing their homes, never mind having to " rent out the second home to make up the difference " as the OP put it.

Please forgive me if my heart fails to bleed at having to suffer the depredation of having to " rent out the second home to make up the difference ".

Also I'm fed up with British expats moaning about the UK, the Baby Boomers raped the country for every penny going and pulled the bridge up as they sailed off to their early retirements.

Couldn't agree more, theblether. I've nearly finished the house renovations and the tenant is chapping on the door to move in. Plane ticket is bought (even though I turn right, not left, like some). Last one to leave the country, please switch the lights off. whistling.gif

I wondered how long it would take for the thread to turn into a "blame the immigrants" rant.

Frankly, it'd be great if the lemmings figured out exactly what it is they're complaining about.

I mean, some of them bitch about immigrants taking all the jobs that "our kids" should be getting and the rest are suggesting that they're claiming all the bloody benefits. Make your minds up, eh.

The indigenous population don't want to sweep the streets; they don't want to work in menial jobs. No, these jokers want to exchange their 2:2 degree in some mickey mouse subject like home economics for a suit, a MacBook Pro, an air-conditioned white collar cubicle, a Mini Cooper and £50K a year.

The sense of entitlement among today's young Brits is astonishing so what choice is there but to bring in workers who are willing to take on the jobs the homegrown workforce don't want?

Sure there are undoubtedly some immigrants that take advantage of the system but aren't there far more natives doing the same?

I doubt very much if these yobs are even qualified to take on the jobs many immigrants are doing.

Never mind a dodgy 2:2 in Media Studies, most dont even have GCSEs.

Gawd knows what the Thais think of some of the so called TEFLr brigade washing up on these shores, the real creme de la creme of farangland.

Not to mention, boiler room ops, or time share touts.

Thailand where the failed at home farang wash out can reinvent himself to whatever he wants to be.

If that is true, it doesn't say much for their own Teachers,does it? The majority of TEFL Teachers are conscientious,and probably teach the students to a higher standard than they were ever used to,otherwise they wouldn't be doing the job!

True enough. And they ruined the education system.

If you look at the state the country's in today, you can't really blame the gypsies or the New Commonwealth chaps - they didn't make the country what it is.

Part of the trouble is that so many of our fellows are still fighting the class war, and blaming "them" - the chaps in the bank, the chaps in the city, the bosses...

But to be honest, there's not a lot of point arguing about it. The damage is done, and some of us can help pick up the pieces. THere's no point in grizzling, or you'll just end up sounding like a grumpy old fart.

SC

I wish I had his PROBLEMS

3 kids! You must be joking?

I don't really think that comparing immigration policies is relevant to the comparison of exchange rates.

What is relevant is that people are willing to relocate from wealthy countries to poor countries, for whatever reason, which contributes to an outflow of currency, and contributes to a decline in the exchange rate. So you old fellas are part of the problem. And the sooner you do something about it, the better.

SC

What is relevant is that people are willing to relocate from wealthy countries to poor countries

Are you seriously saying I should relocate from Thailand to the UK?

If you want to improve the exchange rate, that is one thing that you could do about it, yes.

Personally, I earn money in foreign countries and spend it in Britain. What do you do to help?

SC

Britain is a foreign country.

Wowee if all the Brit farangs went back to UK it would raise possibly a couple of million Baht for UK economy and rescue British from penury.

Edited by Denizen

True enough. And they ruined the education system.

If you look at the state the country's in today, you can't really blame the gypsies or the New Commonwealth chaps - they didn't make the country what it is.

Part of the trouble is that so many of our fellows are still fighting the class war, and blaming "them" - the chaps in the bank, the chaps in the city, the bosses...

But to be honest, there's not a lot of point arguing about it. The damage is done, and some of us can help pick up the pieces. THere's no point in grizzling, or you'll just end up sounding like a grumpy old fart.

SC

I totally agree that they ruined the education system, that was a disgraceful act of cultural vandalism inflicted by small minded petty socialist idealogues.

Disgraceful stuff.

I'm rather flattered that Fletch took the trouble to dig up posts I made back in 2007 - almost six full years ago.

But I'm at a loss as to why he has done so, I have not changed my opinion on the matters he's dug my quotes up on.

I see no reason to move my life savings outside of the UK and protection of the UK financial laws or importantly away from UK trust law. The quotes Fletch has spent the day searching put relate to tax free savings and UK legal protections.

My post of earlier today suggests repatriating money to the UK (sell high in Thailand / buy low in the UK) might have some merrit.

I take it we are allowed to save some of the Bht we make here and spend it where we like!

That saud, a bit of spare Bht in Thailand might come in handy for the occasional "Fire Sale".

What's your take on that Fletch?

I have 3 pensions that amount to about 5000 baht per month, I drew on them at 50 so does not mean having multiple pensions means big bucks. Form me having 3 children of school age when in my 50's would just not make sense, just not financially viable then there will be uni fees. I am not to worried about it, worrying will not change it and its not hard for me to change life style and not spend so much. But with committing to kids then more difficult. Could always return home and get free schooling, and paid in £ and spend in £.

Unless company pensions I considered them worthless investments compared with property which made me clear £300,000 when I retired at 45. Small place in UK I kept on brings in 25k baht.

so basically poor investing in early years and children at a late age are where the problems are coming from for OP in my eyes, oh yes and I live alone here.

I have 3 pensions that amount to about 5000 baht per month, I drew on them at 50 so does not mean having multiple pensions means big bucks. Form me having 3 children of school age when in my 50's would just not make sense, just not financially viable then there will be uni fees. I am not to worried about it, worrying will not change it and its not hard for me to change life style and not spend so much. But with committing to kids then more difficult. Could always return home and get free schooling, and paid in £ and spend in £.

Unless company pensions I considered them worthless investments compared with property which made me clear £300,000 when I retired at 45. Small place in UK I kept on brings in 25k baht.

so basically poor investing in early years and children at a late age are where the problems are coming from for OP in my eyes, oh yes and I live alone here.

Government school is almost entirely free in Thailand.

University courses cost trivial amounts.

I'm in my 50s, I see no reason not to have children, have some already, hoping to have more in the near future.

Property investments are great in the UK for those who are single, I lost all mine because I was married.

Glad you are happy to be single, but I would rather be dead.

• Like 1

I'm in my 50s, I see no reason not to have children, have some already, hoping to have more in the near future.

Property investments are great in the UK for those who are single, I lost all mine because I was married.

Tommo, don't be a drama queen !

I am in my 50's and have not really been single since I was 17. Doesn't mean that marston cannot have a rich and fulfilling life. Many at our age do - without children.

I am without at the moment - and, ironically, Thailand (with a Thai wife) is probably the only place I would consider spreading my seed.

I am in my 50's and have not really been single since I was 17. Doesn't mean that marston cannot have a rich and fulfilling life. Many at our age do - without children.

I am without at the moment - and, ironically, Thailand (with a Thai wife) is probably the only place I would consider spreading my seed.

I can't imagine any kind of life being 'rich and fulfilling' without being surrounded by my family.

But maybe you or Marstons could show me (or explain to me) how that works?

I admit

I do have some friends who are single and childless and claim to be happy, but looking at them from the outside, they just seem sad and lonely.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Having more kids when you have some already and you're now in your fifties and you can see no reason against it?

I'm rather flattered that Fletch took the trouble to dig up posts I made back in 2007 - almost six full years ago.

But I'm at a loss as to why he has done so, I have not changed my opinion on the matters he's dug my quotes up on.

I see no reason to move my life savings outside of the UK and protection of the UK financial laws or importantly away from UK trust law. The quotes Fletch has spent the day searching put relate to tax free savings and UK legal protections.

My post of earlier today suggests repatriating money to the UK (sell high in Thailand / buy low in the UK) might have some merrit.

I take it we are allowed to save some of the Bht we make here and spend it where we like!

That saud, a bit of spare Bht in Thailand might come in handy for the occasional "Fire Sale".

What's your take on that Fletch?

Don't worry, it was no extra effort at all smile.png See the thread still runnning on: "What's Up With the Baht?". I came across the comments and others by (Dr.) Naam, Sonic, etc a couple of weeks ago (8 Feb), and commented it was funny how these topics go round in circles.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615739-whats-up-with-the-thai-baht/page-9

Then today a couple of weeks later on this very similar thread the big surprise. Circles are one things. Half circles another: From GH the die hard advocate of keep your money in the UK and GBP "where it's safe" to saying "Thai Visa's" been telling you for years smile.png

Sorry I just couldn't resist that . Even you've got to see the funny side.

6 years for a complete U-Turn. Slow, but "safe" laugh.png

In terms of your post of repatriating money now to the UK, that depends:

- If someone had followed your advice 6 years ago, and kept their money "safe" in the UK and in GBP, without building THB assets then there's a good chance they're just doomed to repeating the same mistake again...

- On the other hand, for someone who has been building THB assets to support their life in Thailand, and mitigate currency risk, then they probably find themselves in a situation where a little rebalancing might not be a bad thing, as the THB assets will have grown significantly due to the better exchange rate and better returns if say in equities.

My view is still a long term one, that THB will continue it's longer term appreciation vs GBP, and if you live in Thailand it makes sense to have THB assets.

Let's see where we are 6 years from now... smile.png My currency call may be wrong.

Can't see me making a U-Turn on the strategy, and advocating all in for UK and Sterling though laugh.png

Edited by fletchsmile