Security Of House/apartment In Thailand

Hi!

Im planning to rent a house (or maybe an apartment) for a longer term, and move in there, but as we are travelling quite a bit, we would be absent sometimes for several months in a row. Now, if that would happen in Sweden, I wouldn't worry; if in Tanzania, I would know clearly that upon our return I would only face bare walls. How is it with Thailand and what are the best ways to avoid break ins? We wouldn't rent a very expensive place, and i know there is always a risk, but it would be good to have an idea, if the break ins and insecurity is a pest like in East Africa or somewhat manageable?

If you are traveling a lot, IMHO, an apartment would be best. Pretty much "lock n go". Houses are more complicated. pretty much no matter where you reside.

We reside in a house, in a walled village. No break ins for years, but it has happened in the past, and does happen on a regular basis here in Thailand. Apartment are vulnerable also, but if you have good lobby security, and on a higher floor, you should be OK.

Let's try this over in the real estate and housing forum.

Topic Moved.

It also depends on the location. I have a condo here and often go to the UK for 2-3 months once or twice a year and have never had any issues. Infact if you want somewhere in the Pinklao area in Bangkok I can offer you one of mine for just 8750 baht pm in a development that is under 2 years old and has pool, gym etc and is a stones throw from both Major and Central

You get what you pay for when it comes to security and upkeep of condos in BKK. I have several empty condos around BKK that are fully furnished with valuable A/V inside, and have not had any issues of security. These condos get used by personal or business connections as the needs dictate. Of the various places I have purchased/lived over the years I can recommend first hand the following buildings to be extremely secure to leave empty for long periods;

• All Seasons Serviced Apartments, on Wireless Road
  • Emporium Suites, on Sukhumvit
  • The Ivy, on Thonglor

There are many more in Bangkok that would work, however I can personally recommend the above facilities as they would be excellent for what you are planning, also the level of service and upkeep is as it should be. In BKK if you try to do everything on the cheap, you will no doubt be disappointed If you pay attention to the grips and complaints discussed on this forum the vast majority arise from people that are operating on a shoe-string budget with 5-star expectations. I would just caution you to make sure your planing, expenditures, and execution match your expectations. Best of luck!!

Thanks for all the good insights!

It looks more hopeful than what I have seen last year in Africa anyway lol. Here they put bars on every window and even then the thieves break the bars and get in.

How about houses on any of the islands (as Ko Chang for example) anyone has any experience? Probably it is less safe to have a single house standing apart someplace than renting in an expat village type of place? I will be looking for a rather simple house/apartment, not too expensive or fancy, but not on a shoestring level either, and I must say I do like privacy. Are fences common for thai houses by the way, as I have been looking online and most houses didnt seem to have one?

Any advice as to security measures? And what are the thieves more prone to take apart from the obvious valuables (money, computers, jewellry)?