Our Incredibly Fortunate Rebirth.

fabianfred

If the power of "greed, aversion, & delusion" were lifted from us, we wouldn't need to practice the 8 fold path. The three "poisons" pretty much define the whole problem of suffering and provide the reason we should seek nibbana. There really is no possibility of getting rid of them before we start practising.

Moha, (ie. delusion/confusion) - "the confusion that fools beings by making life appear to them as permanent, happy, substantial and beautiful and preventing them from seeing that everything in reality is impermanent, liable to suffering, void of 'I' and 'mine', and basically impure" - underpins the other two, IMO.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the power of "greed, aversion, & delusion" were lifted from us, we wouldn't need to practice the 8 fold path. The three "poisons" pretty much define the whole problem of suffering and provide the reason we should seek nibbana. There really is no possibility of getting rid of them before we start practising.

Moha, (ie. delusion/confusion) - "the confusion that fools beings by making life appear to them as permanent, happy, substantial and beautiful and preventing them from seeing that everything in reality is impermanent, liable to suffering, void of 'I' and 'mine', and basically impure" - underpins the other two, IMO.

yes...some people believe we must be perfect in order to reach Nibbana but we aren't until we actually achieve it.

Greed aversion and delusion are what cause us to create karma...which causes rebirth.....

What % of ones practice do you recommend including the arm movements?

Did you find it to be a powerful aid to the level of awareness you achieve?

Different people make progress with different systems...no one way suits all. For me the very fine and shallow movement of the body during breathing and trying to be aware of the rising and falling is difficult. I prefer the very large movements of the arms and hands. I use them for all sitting, and you can even do them when standing or lying down too.

What % of ones practice do you recommend including the arm movements?

Did you find it to be a powerful aid to the level of awareness you achieve?

Different people make progress with different systems...no one way suits all. For me the very fine and shallow movement of the body during breathing and trying to be aware of the rising and falling is difficult. I prefer the very large movements of the arms and hands. I use them for all sitting, and you can even do them when standing or lying down too.

Is it difficult to focus on the breath, whilst maintaining the arm movements?

we do not bother with the breath...we do not note in our mind 'rising...turning...touching...etc

We just are aware of the movements and the start and stopping of each movement...aware of the sensation of touching...no need to time the breath with the movements if you don't like to....no need to keep the eyes closed if you don't like to.

go fast or slow as the mood takes you....I like to go slow

Edited by fabianfred

we do not bother with the breath...we do not note in our mind 'rising...turning...touching...etc

We just are aware of the movements and the start and stopping of each movement...aware of the sensation of touching...no need to time the breath with the movements if you don't like to....no need to keep the eyes closed if you don't like to.

I learned you are good with photo's but your writing is not so bad eitherthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

How does one work out what practice ultimately bests suits them?

Can a given practice work well for someone only to reach a ceiling?

I found the first tetrad of anapanasiti produced the most powerful experiences and deepest levels of concentration I've ever accomplished.

I'm imagining, it will appear less unusual when out and about whilst practicing mindfulness.

The other thing I find when returning focus on the breath, is that I can instantly become aware of changes to my body/feelings.

I've found that when the body becomes tense, the breath shortens/stops.

Simply allowing a long uncontrolled relaxed breath removes tension in the body and quietens the mind.

Keep reading about all this religious stuff and whats going to happen to us when we pop off, seems nobody is happy to be here and wants to pop off to better things, YET, everything written about whats going to happen when you pop off is written by a bloke who has never popped off.

What happens to all the other living creatures that have the same organs as us humans that we kill every day and eat ?

Religion is for those who cannot deal with anything and want some book to point a way, BUT, it will have been written by a bloke who was looking for HIS own way.

According to reincarnation theory, there are if fact, 'blokes who have popped-off" and returned to teach about it. This is found most commonly in the Tibetan tradition with His Holiness The Dalai Lama being the main example. He is the 14th Dalai Lama, ie., the 14th of a succession of reincarnations of Chenrizig, the deity of compassion. There are numerous others. They are called tulkus. So, one may meet and hear teachings about this from blokes who've been there and done it.

It is unfortunate that they make it so difficult for Farang monks here. Insisting upon the three month reporting means you cannot disappear into the forest on tudong for any length of time. Plus the usual visa fee of 1,900 Baht is payable every year not including expenses just getting about to get all the paperwork done....and some people still point the finger and say 'oh..I thought it was against the Vinaya to use money...'

Thai monks have it easy in comparison. And we are only allowed to be monks here to study...not teach...which is why after nine consecutive one year visas they say ...go home and teach there.

Fred, you got this exactly right.. thanks for that..

Hi Fred.. I am at the moment, living at Wat Promkunaram in Phoenix Arizona.. I will be back in Thailand before Phansa..

Here of course, I have many conversations with Christians. They come to the temple inquiring about Buddhism.

Rebirth comes up in most of our conversations. Let me be clear here.. I am not a teacher.

I try and explain rebirth and karma and some get it and some don't.

What I usually end up telling them, and you'll have to forgive me here but I'm trying to make a point to them,

is; rebirth is God's way of saying, I'm not going to give up on you, keep trying until you get it right..

That may not be strictly by the teaching of Buddha, but it's pretty close..

I am really happy to see your still here on this forum.

Phra Bill Khantisalo..

• Like 1

To me rebirth is the most natural thing there is...it is all around us in nature...renewal, the continual cycle of seasons, and trees and plants renewed after a fire etc.

The belief in any kind of almighty creator god is so restrictive in ones life....if he requires worship...he's got ego problems; if he knows all...then we don't really have free-will...it is all predestined; if he punishes or rewards us on the basis of a single lifetime...he is unjust; if he created disease and suffering...then he is cruel; if he will wipe out our sins and cause us not to have to suffer the consequences...then he is unfair to those we caused to suffer.....the law of karma is just, fair, not corruptible, not able to be bribed, not escapable (without reaching Nibbana) and not prejudiced.

Theistic religions are like one group of people saying...'our flying spaghetti monster is the one and only true flying spaghetti monster..... your flying spaghetti monster is false and anyone who doesn't believe in our flying spaghetti monster is evil and will suffer for eternity'.

The stupidity becomes apparent when you put it in its real context.

• Like 1

The goal is to eradicate your ego,but what I learned here from most of you,it seems to be the opposite;to evolve to a higher relm or what you call it.Sounds very egocentric to me,,,Another thing,whatever you belive,it is still that,belief! In my case,I do not recall any earlier life,so if I had one or not,doesn`t really matter,does it? I, after my death,I will not remember this one,So if I am born again,it doesn`t matter,right!Or if I am not born again,so what?! Why cling to your ego so much? I for one have had a good life,thats more than enough!

• Like 1

The goal is to eradicate your ego,but what I learned here from most of you,it seems to be the opposite;to evolve to a higher relm or what you call it.Sounds very egocentric to me,,,Another thing,whatever you belive,it is still that,belief! In my case,I do not recall any earlier life,so if I had one or not,doesn`t really matter,does it? I, after my death,I will not remember this one,So if I am born again,it doesn`t matter,right!Or if I am not born again,so what?! Why cling to your ego so much? I for one have had a good life,thats more than enough!

Certainly the goal is to eradicate the ego....and reaching Nibbana was what the Buddha did and wanted us to do too....one then escapes all rebirth and suffering. The desire to achieve this is not ego based.

What you are and experience in this life is a result of past lives and although you might not remember this one in your next life, it is what you do now which will be the cause for you to be reborn in whatever realm and state.

You say you have had a good life...but have you led a good life?

When talking about the Ego, it would appear that this differs on who is teaching. A.P. Stinnett, President of the London Lodge of the Theosophical Society, talks a about a higher and more durable spiritual Ego and a perverted human Ego falling away from the current evolution on which it was launched.. He says that the Ego is a centre of thought activity working chiefly with impulses and desires on the fourth stage of evolution. Basically what he says is; as man evolves, and becomes more intelligent, our consciousness takes hold, gradually purifying and exalting the Ego making it only one aspect of our ultimate development. He's talking about over hundreds of lifetimes. So, if your working on only trying to get rid of the Ego, good luck. It's with all of us and here to stay.. The question is, do you work with it or let it work you?

To comment on the two latest posts;obviously it is not so easy to specify what the much talked about "ego" is...."To escape all rebirth and suffering",well for whom,I may ask.For yourself or for your fellow man? Egocentic or not? And regarding what I do now that will cause in which realm I will be reborn,I should be careful with that idea.Why? Because it would mean,that people,who are crippled at birth,or have accidents and so on,have them self to blame,they have been bad people.It would mean,that I was extremely good in past lives,but in this one,I must confess,I have detorieted.Lucky I do not worry about it.When people are reborn,can a white person come back as a black, a man as a woman,a Canadian as a Chines and so on.Or be born as a child to his granddaughter?If so,then it is not the same person.Or you can be reborn as a kind of copy of your self? It`s all very fluffy,probably because people try to connect two separate concepts;the one beeing that we live on with the "ego" we have,the other that we somehow get another "ego"As I said in my first post,I do belive,that we somehow never was born and thus never die.This NOT taken in a "personal" sence,more like us beeing part of the whole.But the lucky thing is,nowadays,and here,that we can believe whatever we want.The answer,if any,comes to all of us in the end.Let me jokingly add;If I come back,I want to come back as a Thai,that way I don`t have to worry about visum.

Edited by Bosse137

Certainly the goal is to eradicate the ego....

Get off the internet and get some posters printed then....... no.... wait.

To comment on the two latest posts;obviously it is not so easy to specify what the much talked about "ego" is...."To escape all rebirth and suffering",well for whom,I may ask.For yourself or for your fellow man? Egocentic or not? And regarding what I do now that will cause in which realm I will be reborn,I should be careful with that idea.Why? Because it would mean,that people,who are crippled at birth,or have accidents and so on,have them self to blame,they have been bad people.It would mean,that I was extremely good in past lives,but in this one,I must confess,I have detorieted.Lucky I do not worry about it.When people are reborn,can a white person come back as a black, a man as a woman,a Canadian as a Chines and so on.Or be born as a child to his granddaughter?If so,then it is not the same person.Or you can be reborn as a kind of copy of your self? It`s all very fluffy,probably because people try to connect two separate concepts;the one beeing that we live on with the "ego" we have,the other that we somehow get another "ego"As I said in my first post,I do belive,that we somehow never was born and thus never die.This NOT taken in a "personal" sence,more like us beeing part of the whole.But the lucky thing is,nowadays,and here,that we can believe whatever we want.The answer,if any,comes to all of us in the end.Let me jokingly add;If I come back,I want to come back as a Thai,that way I don`t have to worry about visum.

Agree about the Thai....the visa situation is real suffering ..

We can only help ourselves to escape....we can tell others how to...but they must do it themselves. The Buddha never helped anyone reach Nibbana, apart from showing them the way, they had to do the work themselves.

''When people are reborn,can a white person come back as a black, a man as a woman,a Canadian as a Chines and so on.Or be born as a child to his granddaughter?''

Sure..that is what rebirth is about ...but also be reborn as an animal if unlucky and we created the karmic cause.

A story from my teacher LP Jaran ......

A young man lived in a large family and was especially close to his younger sister. She was close to giving birth to a child from her husband. The man was sick and in a fever and as he was dying he heard that she had given birth...he wanted to go and see her child. His spirit left his body as he died and went to her....then the spirit in the child departed and he was drawn into the body of the child. So he took rebirth as his sister's baby.

Certainly the one born crippled has become that way because of previous karma. We ALL have both good and bad karma waiting in the wings for their chance to come and bring vipaka....but to be born human, even crippled is the best rebirth of all and comes from good karma.

A deva being in the heavens might have a comfortable life without suffering, but caught up in all that pleasure they have little interest in creating good karma. We still have the chance to study, practice, ordain etc. and advance upon the path.

• Like 1

Agree about the Thai....the visa situation is real suffering ..

We can only help ourselves to escape....we can tell others how to...but they must do it themselves. The Buddha never helped anyone reach Nibbana, apart from showing them the way, they had to do the work themselves.

''When people are reborn,can a white person come back as a black, a man as a woman,a Canadian as a Chines and so on.Or be born as a child to his granddaughter?''

Sure..that is what rebirth is about ...but also be reborn as an animal if unlucky and we created the karmic cause.

A story from my teacher LP Jaran ......

A young man lived in a large family and was especially close to his younger sister. She was close to giving birth to a child from her husband. The man was sick and in a fever and as he was dying he heard that she had given birth...he wanted to go and see her child. His spirit left his body as he died and went to her....then the spirit in the child departed and he was drawn into the body of the child. So he took rebirth as his sister's baby.

Certainly the one born crippled has become that way because of previous karma. We ALL have both good and bad karma waiting in the wings for their chance to come and bring vipaka....but to be born human, even crippled is the best rebirth of all and comes from good karma.

A deva being in the heavens might have a comfortable life without suffering, but caught up in all that pleasure they have little interest in creating good karma. We still have the chance to study, practice, ordain etc. and advance upon the path.

So you are saying it is important to build up good karma (which in itself is an oxymoron) so you can be reborn as a human, but not so much good karma that you come back as a deva. Because the devas are having so much fun that they end up being reborn low.

So either you make the jump all the way to Nibbana, or make sure you screw up a little bit so you don't get reborn too high. Seems like snakes and ladders to me.

Edited by canuckamuck

It depends which interpretation you accept.

It all comes back to belief.

Belief is our affliction.

Belief is not synonymous with fact.

Could it be that "Re Birth" is a momemt to moment thing?

The Buddha taught there is no soul/spirit, nothing inside which endures.

The Buddha taught that consciousness is just another Skhanda.

The aggregates (Skhanda's) don't constitute any 'essence'.

The nature of all aggregates are intrinsically empty of independent existence.

A 'chariot' exists on the basis of the aggregation of parts, even so the concept of 'being' exists when the five aggregates are available (Sutta Pitaka).

Take away any one aggregate (example body) and the rest won't exist.

The chain goes: Body > Sensation > Perception > Formations > Consciousness.

Each gives rise or birth to the next.

The combination of the 5 aggregates give the illusion of self, l, a soul/spirit.

Imagine each event as a snapshot.

Each snapshot leads to the next, so quickly that it gives the illusion of cosnciousness, just as a movie film brings alive characters on the big screen, even though they are a series of stills.

Each snapshot leads to or gives rise to the next (Re Birth).

This Re Birth is a moment to moment thing.

Each human has countless instances of "Re Birth": each fashioned by the previous.

Thus what we think, do & feel, influences each Re Birth.

Our Kharma (action) plays it part to fashion Re Birth.

The Buddha taught this knowledge over a backdrop of Brahmanism which teaches "reincarnation" into higher or lower castes depending on the purity of ones life.

The Buddha taught in the language and belief of the day.

The Buddha fashioned his teaching into a model which everyone could understand.

When you understand this teaching you are then able to answer the questions yopu posed.

On the other hand Re Birth into future lives involves the Metaphysical and cannot be proven by us.

Those living in the Physical are beyond understanding the Metaphysical, if it exists.

Much better to stick with reality and free oneself ffrom attachment to belief.

Given that our consciousness is not an I, me, or spirit/soul, but merely a construct of the skhandas, you will begin to understand ego.

Ego is all about the self, me, I.

It is about being self centered, & selfish.

The ego can readily adopt belief in re birth into many lives, because above all, the ego fears annihilation.

It craves immortality. It will readily accept re birth because this gives a glimmer of hope of future existence.

When one looks outwardly to the suffering of others, with compassion, the ego or self diminishes.

The Buddha was explicit.

He said there is nothing inside which is enduring or permanent such as a soul or spirit, and everything is changing.

The five aggregates give the illusion of consciousness but this is merely a process.

In the end, it makes no difference what any of us believe.

What is will be, no matter what we believe.

What is enduring is the eightfold path.

A group of exercises/activities which allow one to grow their awareness.

An awareness so powerful that it can eventually yield the truth.

Not belief, but fact which can be experienced for oneself.

An awareness so quick, that it can catch the process of Body > Sensation > Perception > Formations > Consciousness, allowing one to see it for what it is.

An illusion which we call consciousness.

I understand it said by one who has scaled the peak (Awakened) that once this is perceived/experienced, from that point on ones life will be profoundly changed.

Once this has been experienced, the ego (illusory construct) will begin to fade.

One will then live free from clinging and craving, free from aversion, greed, & delusion.

The highest state a human can aspire to.

Yes, there is escape from Re Birth.

Re Birth moment to moment.

There will be escape from Re Birth, the Re Birth of clinging & craving.

Edited by rockyysdt

Rockyysdt: Your reply makes me very happy! It is along my own thinking,but makes things more clear to me.Or I can say,you put words to what I previously only had a dim feeling of.Actually,I think it will change something in my life.How? I don`t know yet,but this new realisation is bound to have an impact.Thanks!

There is only one thing to do.

To practice.

To practice freeing oneself of attachment.

Without practice, everything is just words.

Awareness through personal experience is everything.

No one can impart what the Buddha has to offer.

It will come only from personal effort.

Wisdom (Sanskrit: prajñā, Pāli: paññā) 1. Right view 2. Right knowledge 3. Right intention

Ethical conduct (Sanskrit: śīla, Pāli: sīla) 4. Right speech 5. Right action 6. Right livelihood

Concentration (Sanskrit and Pāli: samādhi) 6. Right effort 7. Right mindfulness 8. Right concentration

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Rocky, what if a belief turns out to be true? Is that an affliction? Also you believe that rebirth is moment to moment and not life to life but you cannot prove it. You also believe the so called metaphysical is seperate from the physical yet maiantain it is unknown therefore you cannot possibly know, ergo your statements are made on faith. Belief is inescapable if we insist on constructing rational explainations for the manifest. Hence the importance of practice. It is not for substantiating previously accepted ideas, but overcoming the need for them as a healed man no longer needs crutches.

• Like 1

Rocky, what if a belief turns out to be true? Is that an affliction? Also you believe that rebirth is moment to moment and not life to life but you cannot prove it. You also believe the so called metaphysical is seperate from the physical yet maiantain it is unknown therefore you cannot possibly know, ergo your statements are made on faith. Belief is inescapable if we insist on constructing rational explainations for the manifest. Hence the importance of practice. It is not for substantiating previously accepted ideas, but overcoming the need for them as a healed man no longer needs crutches.

Hi S.

It can be difficult to convey fully ones position in a forum post and apologise for any misinterpretations.

Moment to moment re birth is not only one of the Buddhas teachings, more importantly it can be investigated and experienced in this life.

The life which is in the physical which we know to exist.

Successfully practicing techniques such as Anapanasiti have the power to allow us to see/experience our true nature.

In terms of the Metaphysical, I'm not sure I ever said that it doesn't exist, nor have I said that re birth from life to life, fashioned with Kharma is not possible.

My stance is that these things are capable of looking after themselves.

The Metaphysical can only be proven once either Awakening or Death takes place.

One can be open minded about them but to anchor ones hopes and aspirations on them is to be firmly attached.

My stance is to practice the eightfold path advancing ones state to the heights it is capable of taking us.

When I examine the eightfold path, firmly believing in re birth, life to life or not, makes no difference to the practice.

However anchoring oneself on re birth, life to life, relm to relm and so forth can impact greatly on ones craving/attachment, and if incorrect result in one wasting ones life.

Better to be open minded.

Better to dwell in the physical which is our domain and in which we have power over our destiny.

Power to execute practice of the eightfold path free of attachment to belief.

If it transpires that I am the culmination of countless incarnations/re births then that is fine, but unimportant to the practice the Buddha taught.

Conversely, if I cling to re birth life to life, my craving for a form of immortality will inflate my ego.

After all, the most frightening thing a human must face, particularly as one ages, is impending death.

Unfortunately what the Buddha really taught is not fully known.

What we do know is that practice of the eightfold path is the way and has the power to advance in re birth moment to moment, as well as re birth life to life if it exists.

Far more important is:

The essence of all phenomena is the awakened mind; the mind of all Buddhas is the awakened mind; and the life-force of all sentient beings is the awakened mind, too

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Knowing that we have been reborn for many lives can be a good spur to practice when we realise how rare and fortunate to have met the dhamma now...

It is not all useless conjecture.

The Buddha told many stories using events from past existences as a way to teach. If we are obstinate and refuse to believe our teacher then our ego is trying to make us think we are better than him and know more.

You Rocky are often saying...'what he really meant is this.... or in the context of the age it was so and so but nowadays....' as if you know better.

Doubt is a serious hinderance.....

Then it sounds like we have the same view expressed differently. I accept the probability of other lives, but am not concerned with their names as it were. I will say there are worse things than death. It is an ally and a teacher and probably the only certainty in life. What is threatening about mortality is it finality. But it pushed Gotama to become Buddha. If there was no ticking clock we would not strive to ascend at all, like the devas. Fear of it has caused men to paint it with the grim reaper visage which is false. Time is not an old man, lightning is not the wrath of Thor, Santa does not know who has been good or bad. Death is natural, it is our attachments we fear losing.