Insurgent's Life ' A Sunny Day' After Plea-Bargain: Thailand

webfact

Insurgent's life 'a sunny day' after plea-bargain
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A former insurgent has urged the government to extend the plea-bargaining scheme to cover the entire southern border areas in order to attract more militants to surrender.

Rawyalee Bueraheng, who has been released after joining the scheme, suggested the government extend the programme beyond the existing area of Songkhla's Na Thawee, Thepha, Chana, and Saba Yoi districts and Pattani's Mae Lan district.

Rawyalee Bueraheng is another former insurgent freed by the Provincial Songkhla's Nathawee District Court. In ordering his released on October 29, the court said all criminal charges against him were dropped and his cases would not be reopened.

He revealed that his life has become like a sunny day after a dark storm since he completed the six-month re-education as part of a plea-bargaining scheme under Article 21 of the Internal Security Law.

Rawyalee said he had been given a second chance to live a normal life in his native town in Pattani's Nong Chik district after escaping a charge of conspiring to kill two security volunteers in Songkhla's Thepha district on August 24 last year.

He said that after difficulties while on the run and worrying about his family, he decided to lay down his arms and return to the legal fold when he learned about the plea-bargaining scheme.

He said in the beginning he was not certain about the re-education. "I was massively stressed because I was not sure outside people would forgive me, but I did have hope they would,'' he said.

During the re-education, he underwent computer occupational training, including Islamic study. "Religious gurus and leaders came to talk to me and taught me about the correct Islamic principles,'' he said.

After being released, he worked as a construction worker to save money to open an Internet café in his village where he lives with his pregnant wife and two-year-old daughter.

"After getting out, I have never associated with or wanted to know about the insurgency again. I just want to own an Internet café that would give people in the village the chance to be linked to information and the world. Most importantly, I am happy to be able to be with my family,'' he said.

He believed if the plea-bargaining scheme was extended to all southern border areas, not just the four districts of Songkhla and Pattani's Mae Lan District, more insurgents from Narathiwat and Yala and other areas would join the scheme.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-26

I worry for this man's safety. Other more fanatical members of these groups may well consider that he has 'sold out' to the enemy and exact revenge. On the other hand if the Government did extend the amnesty and large numbers took advantage of it, it could well be a good move.

The problems in the South are going to be with us for a long, long time.

• Like 1

I also would worry about this man's safety and that of his family. Going against the brainwashed he could well be seen as a threat. But it is still a great story to push towards others who remain as insurgents simply because they 'belong' and have no alternative. I would seriously endorse this move. I certainly applaud his courage to walk away. Lead by example Khun Rawyalee, well done.

Edited by Locationthailand
  • Like 1

Why on Earth would they put his name in the story? I don't think that will encourage anyone to do the same if they see that you are going to have news articles with your name all over the place.

Agree, a smart intelligence agency would get as much information from a defector as possible, in exchange for a reduced sentence and/or a witness protection program. The public would never know that anyone had defected, let alone the defectors name. This way neither the defector nor his family would need protection, and information provided by the defector can be used to surprise the militants.

By publishing that a defector has surrendered as well as his name they endanger both the defector and his family. They risk that others will be too scared to defect, and they ensure that any information the defector may have is useless, as the militants now know that the authorities know what the defector knows, and will therefore take precautions.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that in Thailand a photo-op is much more important than all of the above!

Why on Earth would they put his name in the story? I don't think that will encourage anyone to do the same if they see that you are going to have news articles with your name all over the place.

..that's Thai style! First they find something worthwhile doing, and then they ruin it.