Ikea Withdraws Horse Meatballs: Thailand

webfact

the main concern in the UK is that horsemeat contains anitbiotics, 1 called 'bute'. now wouldnt that be a worry if the thai meat industry put drugs in their animals to fatten them up?

personally id quite enjoy a bit of gee gee curry if the horse still have a bit of ketamin in it.........she could watch thai tv all night then and i wouldnt mind a bit. 2 big steaks and id probably even laugh at the 'boom boom' stand up 'comedy' they show every night.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont waste them; send the stock to Isaan and they can mix in some cockroaches and other bugs..........

Do you think they eat cockroaches in Issan?
No one here eats cockraoches. Grasshoppers yes and I will say they are right tasty.
Correct. What they eat is actually a water bug that sort of looks like a giant cockroach, but it is not. You will see them on the bug carts that Isan girls are chowing down on.

Historically Europeans--at least Spaniards--have found the eating of horse flesh out and out disgusting--even when faced with starvation.

This from Cabeza de Vaca's journal 1542, Chapter 5, "The Indians' Hospitality before and after a
New Calamity
":

"We lost only those the barge took down; but the
survivors escaped as naked as they were born, with
the loss of everything we had. That was not much,
but valuable to us in that bitter November cold,
our bodies so emaciated we could easily count
every bone and looked the very picture of death.
I can say for myself that from the month of May I
had eaten nothing but corn, and that sometimes
raw. I never could bring myself to eat any of the
horse-meat at the time our beasts were
slaughtered; and fish I did not taste ten times.
On top of everything else, a cruel north wind
commenced to complete our killing."

Anyone that eats processed foods, particularily processed meats like the Thai trusty and much loved Luk Chin [ meatball] , is basically just rolling the dice. Everybody knows that it is not your prime New York cut that gets minced up into a meatball. Those on a halal diet need to be even more careful. Pork, chicken,beef, buffalo, dog, fish and horse mostly look the same when minced up together. Who knows what one is eating when you bite down on that " minced burger patty, meatball or meat pie?

The article is about veterinary drug-laced horsemeat packaged and intentionally mislabeled in Europe and not withdrawn from the Asian market until much delay so naturally we ignore that and start complaining about food in Thailand. TiTV

Presumably 90% of the people who bought the IKEA rubbish lasagne are farang anyway, so they should just stick a label on it and serve it to those who put economy before edibility.

post-145917-0-69784200-1361861012_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

Why would they take it out, and whats with the bad image of horsemeat.

Horsemeat tasts great and I have been trying to find a nice cut of horse steak or some leg for my stew.

Cant find it here though, due to the bad image.

Horse meat stew, with a little mustard, oohh heaven1!!!

ps. horse meat is not much sold anywhere as in most european countries it is too expensive too breed, and therefore horses only egt slaughtered after they suffer from a broken leg for example, as horses almost never recover from that

More the greed from the supplier not Ikea, substituting more cost effective product from the knackery. I hope they nail the supplier.

The greed starts with Ikea (or any other retailer affected) insisting on being supplied with a product at a certain (maybe unrealistic) price.

The French, on the other hand, pop live hamsters like Godiva truffles.

hehe

Ever been to the Philippines? Try a balut. Chickens hatch out in 21 days. They take the egg at 17 days, crack it open and eat the baby chick. If you have a weak stomach you might not want to watch the video below.

Perfectly safe to eat, just mis-labelled. What a waste.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21569645

Perfectly safe to eat, just mis-labelled. What a fraud.

The point is that the consumer is being forced to eat something that most people would choose not to if the ingredients were known. Would you be so unconcerned if dog was found in these products? Perfectly safe to eat.

Perfectly safe to eat, just mis-labelled. What a waste.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21569645

Well exactly.

Horse is likely better for you than eating industrial farm raised beef.

Less hormones and antibiotics load imbedded in the meat.

And it tastes just fine. I've had horse steak and horse burger in France,

and it tastes a little closer to venison than beef, but that's not a bad thing, just different.

We think of horses as friends, similar to the way dogs are anthropomorphized,

it is our perceptions under attack, not the food taste or value that is the issue

with the prohibition on eating horse. We don't eat friendly pets.

The only main issue here is that since they cut corners using cheaper horse instead of pork or beef,

what OTHER corners did they cut in how the horse of other ingredients were controlled.

Edited by animatic

Well exactly.

Horse is likely better for you than eating industrial farm raised beef.

Less hormones and antibiotics load imbedded in the meat.

And it tastes just fine. I've had horse steak and horse burger in France,

and it tastes a little closer to venison than beef, but that's not a bad thing, just different.

Not really, phenylbutazone which is harmful to humans is suspected to have entered the food chain.

totster smile.png

Damn, did I finally find a place where they serve horse-meat meatballs.............

In the Netherlands........horse meat is very popular at the moment and the big grocery stores like Jumbo, Albert Heijn and others are doing big business. Everybody would like to taste horse meat.

Somewhat 20-30 years ago, horse meat was a pretty common alternative for beef; it was just a lot cheaper.

dont get the problem either only thing is they should have advertised the right way ate kilos of horsemeat in holland and still looking for a butcher in mukdahan that sells it so can make a nice smoked piece , lovely on a sandwich or just cut in little bits as a snack , jerky's should be nice also ,, grr now got me hungry again

Any kind of meat or fish balls, sausages or won ton etc can be made of God knows what.

I once saw a moo daeng vendor making won ton (kiaw) to put in ba mee moo daeng kiaw. The lumps of pork fat that were going in nearly made me throw up. When she said "Sai kiaw mai?" my answer was no thanks and has been ever since.