Ikea Withdraws Horse Meatballs: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More the greed from the supplier not Ikea, substituting more cost effective product from the knackery. I hope they nail the supplier.

Nothing to do with Ikea?

The way these huge retailers continuously shake down the producers of this stuff is the problem. Supermarkets are the worst offenders. Ask any farmer who has to deal with these parasites. They penny pinch to ensure the producers get virtually nothing, and then wack a hefty profit margin on top. It's a race to the bottom and the results are plain to see.

Edited by KillingTime

Why did Ikea start selling meatballs in the first place? Is sawdust the other main ingredient?

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some sawdust in there...

I think they're sold as "beef and pork meatballs". If they'd just named them "mixed meat meatballs", probably wouldn't be an issue.

When you take a 'step-back' and think about this logically. a Horse is an animal, no different from a cow, sheep, chicken, pig or cockroach.

its just the habits that humans are used-to that make eating horse horrible, (but chickens, cows, sheep, etc ok).

Even that I am vegetarian, i see no difference in what is being eaten. its just the 'view of the eater'. but technically speaking,, its still a 'life'.

while I am on the subject, whoever reads this, go and eat a LOAD more fruit than you would would normally eat! even better,, have a whole day of fruit. try ONE DAY A WEEK of eating fruit. see how lovely you feel on that day. I am not telling you to be vegetarian! I am simply telling you to have a FRUIT-ONLY day 'once a week'. go try it for a few weeks and I guarantee you will feel great for it ;) - Thats all ;)

• Like 1

When you take a 'step-back' and think about this logically. a Horse is an animal, no different from a cow, sheep, chicken, pig or cockroach.

its just the habits that humans are used-to that make eating horse horrible, (but chickens, cows, sheep, etc ok).

Even that I am vegetarian, i see no difference in what is being eaten. its just the 'view of the eater'. but technically speaking,, its still a 'life'.

while I am on the subject, whoever reads this, go and eat a LOAD more fruit than you would would normally eat! even better,, have a whole day of fruit. try ONE DAY A WEEK of eating fruit. see how lovely you feel on that day. I am not telling you to be vegetarian! I am simply telling you to have a FRUIT-ONLY day 'once a week'. go try it for a few weeks and I guarantee you will feel great for it wink.png - Thats all wink.png

I'm not into the vegetarian thing but I'll give you this. You are correct about the one day eating fruit. My ex-brother-in-law was an absolute nut case and I got tired of him preaching to me on this. I finally gave in just to shut him up, tried it and been doing it ever since.

Perfectly safe to eat, just mis-labelled. What a waste.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21569645

Perfectly safe to eat, just mis-labelled. What a fraud.

The point is that the consumer is being forced to eat something that most people would choose not to if the ingredients were known. Would you be so unconcerned if dog was found in these products? Perfectly safe to eat.

Yes, indeed,it was a fraud. Horsemeat was substituted for beef and passed on through a supplier chain that was under the impression the product was pure beef.

My point was that the food is still safe to eat, assuming of course that the packers of the prepared meals were using acceptable standards of hygienic processing. It would be a shame to waste it if the contents were made public and they were sold as a meal containing horse meat.

Passing off a blend of beef and horse is unethical and fraudulent.

That fact, IMHO, does not make the food dangerous to eat. At least no more dangerous than consuming some of the processed meats and sausages currently available in supermarkets. There is usually a note on the package that says " may contain....." Quite honestly it wouldn't surprise me if there are hot dogs that contain dogmeat.

Frankly, one of these post-9891-0-85708300-1361873924_thumb.jpbetween two slabs of bread with a little mustard and onions would probably taste great.tongue.png

Not called 'sausage dogs' for nowt.

Anyone that eats processed foods, particularily processed meats like the Thai trusty and much loved Luk Chin [ meatball] , is basically just rolling the dice. Everybody knows that it is not your prime New York cut that gets minced up into a meatball. Those on a halal diet need to be even more careful. Pork, chicken,beef, buffalo, dog, fish and horse mostly look the same when minced up together. Who knows what one is eating when you bite down on that " minced burger patty, meatball or meat pie?

I would be wary of trying a New York cut what with all the GMs and drugs forced into US cattle

while I am on the subject, whoever reads this, go and eat a LOAD more fruit than you would would normally eat! even better,, have a whole day of fruit. try ONE DAY A WEEK of eating fruit. see how lovely you feel on that day. I am not telling you to be vegetarian! I am simply telling you to have a FRUIT-ONLY day 'once a week'. go try it for a few weeks and I guarantee you will feel great for it wink.png - Thats all wink.png

Why are your eyes on the front of your face and not on the side of your head ?

It's because you are a predator and not a grazing animal. We are designed to be meat eaters.

Would you not also agree that a plant has a life ? Why should the life of a plant be relegated to being of less value than that of an animal. Is not the huge production of vegetable production world wide responsible for the destruction of rain forests with the extinctions of all the species that live in those habitats.

Interesting article on who eats horse meat.

Because horses have played a big part in the history of civilized society as both work animals and pets, many cultures consider it taboo to even consider eating them. Americans, for example, will not entertain the idea of eating horsemeat. But in South America, China, Japan, and many European countries including Italy, and Switzerland, horsemeat is just as common on the dinner table as other meats. The eight most populous countries in the world consume almost 5 million horses each year.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/who-eats-horse-meat.html

Just because something is written on the internet doesn't make it true.

It is perfectly legal to sell horsemeat in America as long as it is labeled as such and comes from a slaughterhouse that meets USDA requirements. George Bush effectively ended Americans' opportunity to eat horsemeat when he eliminated funding for the inspections. Obama just reinstated the funding. (So who is the good President and who is bad?)

M Wells, one of the top restaurants in NYC, thought they found a way around the ban on meat not inspected by USDA and found many willing customers for their horsemeat dishes including horse tartare.

Interesting article on who eats horse meat.

Because horses have played a big part in the history of civilized society as both work animals and pets, many cultures consider it taboo to even consider eating them. Americans, for example, will not entertain the idea of eating horsemeat. But in South America, China, Japan, and many European countries including Italy, and Switzerland, horsemeat is just as common on the dinner table as other meats. The eight most populous countries in the world consume almost 5 million horses each year.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/who-eats-horse-meat.html

Just because something is written on the internet doesn't make it true.

It is perfectly legal to sell horsemeat in America as long as it is labeled as such and comes from a slaughterhouse that meets USDA requirements. George Bush effectively ended Americans' opportunity to eat horsemeat when he eliminated funding for the inspections. Obama just reinstated the funding. (So who is the good President and who is bad?)

M Wells, one of the top restaurants in NYC, thought they found a way around the ban on meat not inspected by USDA and found many willing customers for their horsemeat dishes including horse tartare.

I don't care about hating GB or loving BO, who is good or bad. Nothing to do with this tread. I just posted the link for members to read. It is an interesting article and very informative. Please don't take offence so easily. Have a couple of Leos and chill.

Edited by Pimay1

Well exactly.

Horse is likely better for you than eating industrial farm raised beef.

Less hormones and antibiotics load imbedded in the meat.

And it tastes just fine. I've had horse steak and horse burger in France,

and it tastes a little closer to venison than beef, but that's not a bad thing, just different.

Not really, phenylbutazone which is harmful to humans is suspected to have entered the food chain.

totster smile.png

That maybe so, but it's not daily applied like the stuff they feed cattle daily until slaughter. The cancer was in heavy dosages to rats for 2 solid years 5 days a week. I imagine even too much peanut butter in large doses can mess with your colon.

Redicilus ! Controled Horse meat is a very delicious meat !!

If it's been illegally mixed in with dead pig and dead cattle then I seriously doubt it's controlled.

As compared to live pig and live cattle? I know, I know but just couldn't resist.
  • Like 1

If it's been illegally mixed in with dead pig and dead cattle then I seriously doubt it's controlled.
As compared to live pig and live cattle? I know, I know but just couldn't resist.

Just indicating that the stuff that goes into processed meat can hardly be called beef or pork. Made from bits of a cow or pig or whatever was lying around would be a better description.

Just indicating that the stuff that goes into processed meat can hardly be called beef or pork. Made from bits of a cow or pig or whatever was lying around would be a better description.

Right you are. When I worked for AT&T in the US at the time I was a PABX installer. Went to a major meet processing house in Louisville, Ky to do some work. They packaged bacon, ribs and many other pork products. When it came to brownswagger they would sweep the floor of the killing room and include the scraps in the brownswagger. Never ate it after that.

(in the 'IKEA store opening thread) didn't a couple of members say they had tried the meatballs? IIRC they said they weren't very good anyway. Maybe we have our answer as to why!

Quite enjoyed mine when I visited the store - in fact horsemeat is usually very good, a lot better than the so called beef one gets in Thialnd.

Yes I enjoyed mine also, thinking it was beef.

When I was young I ate horse meat on a few occasions. This is not uncommon in France

Why would they take it out, and whats with the bad image of horsemeat.

Horsemeat tasts great and I have been trying to find a nice cut of horse steak or some leg for my stew.

Cant find it here though, due to the bad image.

Horse meat stew, with a little mustard, oohh heaven1!!!

ps. horse meat is not much sold anywhere as in most european countries it is too expensive too breed, and therefore horses only egt slaughtered after they suffer from a broken leg for example, as horses almost never recover from that

This is not entirely correct as many thousands of wild horses are rounded up in Queensland, sent to the knackery at Caboolture (SE Qld) killed , dressed and sent in frozen packs to Europe where there is a big demand for horsemeat. And please note, these are wild horses so do NOT contain antibotics or hormones. This process has a very high hygiene standard and any injured or diseased beast is rejected. Edited by oldsailor35

Either you eat animals, or you don't.

Not eating certain animals because they look so cute / are so noble / etc is rediculous.

But what should worry us is the fact that for years the food industry got away with lying about the ingredients of their products. What else are they lying about? And was this horse meat controlled like the "official" ingredients?