Do Birds Know

wayned

We used to have a budgerigar. Even though its brain couldn't have been bigger than a pea it was quite clever with it's own personality, always flying on us for company and wanting to interact and get attention.

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

We had a Cockatoo in Aus. It had been raised from a chick by a local farmer. This bird could imitate the ring of an Australian phone perfectly. It also knew if you were the last person out of the house and as soon as you shut the door behind you the bird would start ringing so that you would rush back in to answer the phone.

My neighbours had to change their phone often. Their African Grey would imitate the ring, then hold a one sided conversation As though she was answering the phone.

• Like 1

We had a Cockatoo in Aus. It had been raised from a chick by a local farmer. This bird could imitate the ring of an Australian phone perfectly. It also knew if you were the last person out of the house and as soon as you shut the door behind you the bird would start ringing so that you would rush back in to answer the phone.

My neighbours had to change their phone often. Their African Grey would imitate the ring, then hold a one sided conversation As though she was answering the phone.

cheesy.gif

nice pet chicken and parrot stories.... but don't mix up common mimicry & imprinting with true wild bird ingenuity - two quite different beasts altogether... wink.png

Might want to rethink the parrot comment:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2008/03/animal-minds/virginia-morell-text

Under Pepperberg’s patient tutelage, Alex learned how to use his

vocal tract to imitate almost one hundred English words, including the

sounds for all of these foods, although he calls an apple a “banerry.”

“Apples taste a little bit like bananas to him, and they look a

little bit like cherries, so Alex made up that word for them,”

Pepperberg said.

Watching a Discovery Channel episode on Macaws in the wild. It claimed they have a memory that enables them to know when each fruit tree in their territory will be in fruit. I'd say that requires some degree of intelligence.

nice pet chicken and parrot stories.... but don't mix up common mimicry & imprinting with true wild bird ingenuity - two quite different beasts altogether... wink.png

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2008/03/animal-minds/virginia-morell-text

nothing to rethink sbk, as an ornithologist i'm on the birds side & aint really gonna argue against 'em am i?

that particular old study that you searched google for is an interesting story, and Alex certainly is a pretty polly if it's correct at the point only where he makes up that 'word' by himself - its plausable.

i've actually heard wild starlings talking aloud in english (wasn't in a trippy dream either.. crazy.gif ) are they intelligent for doing so? no. However, If they start talking & responding to themselves in english without any human conditioning or training, then i get someone to pinch me..... .. ^is the expanded nub of my comment.

...new caledonian crow, among a few others, have been good 'pinch me' moments. ...wink.png

What's the name of this dreadful copper and black coloured bird in Thailand? Size like a raven, long tail. Piercing screeches. Purpose of existence, to drive people mad. That bloody bird must produce more decibels than a Vuvuzela.

What's the name of this dreadful copper and black coloured bird in Thailand? Size like a raven, long tail. Piercing screeches. Purpose of existence, to drive people mad. That bloody bird must produce more decibels than a Vuvuzela.

That dreadful bird, as you call it, is a Greater Coucal. But it doesn't screech, it booms! The screeching one, not that I'd really call it a screech, is the Koel. The male is black, the female brown spotted with white.

nothing to rethink sbk, as an ornithologist i'm on the birds side & aint really gonna argue against 'em am i?

that particular old study that you searched google for is an interesting story, and Alex certainly is a pretty polly if it's correct at the point only where he makes up that 'word' by himself - its plausable.

i've actually heard wild starlings talking aloud in english (wasn't in a trippy dream either.. crazy.gif ) are they intelligent for doing so? no. However, If they start talking & responding to themselves in english without any human conditioning or training, then i get someone to pinch me..... .. ^is the expanded nub of my comment.

...new caledonian crow, among a few others, have been good 'pinch me' moments. ...wink.png

Err "searched google for" Try read the original in National Geographic and it stuck ;)