Review - Jia Tong Heng Restaurant

LawrenceChee

I would also give a thumbs down to this place. Looks nice when you walk in. But the food....extremely disappointing. Not Chinese at all.

Like has been said before, if someone where to open a really great Cantonese restaurant in C.M., with real Chinese chefs, they would make a bloody fortune.

Lawrence Chee, who started this thread and seems to know quite a bit about Chinese food, identified this cuisine as being from Teochew. So it may be obscure, but it's certainly Chinese. It certainly isn't Thai, except for a few dishes expressly aimed at Thai people.

it's Thai, not Chinese. it could be a Teochew theme but it is food prepared by Thais only [not a Chinese chef in the kitchen] with Thai ingredients and geared toward the Thai palate.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also give a thumbs down to this place. Looks nice when you walk in. But the food....extremely disappointing. Not Chinese at all.

Like has been said before, if someone where to open a really great Cantonese restaurant in C.M., with real Chinese chefs, they would make a bloody fortune.

Lawrence Chee, who started this thread and seems to know quite a bit about Chinese food, identified this cuisine as being from Teochew. So it may be obscure, but it's certainly Chinese. It certainly isn't Thai, except for a few dishes expressly aimed at Thai people.

it's Thai, not Chinese. it could be a Teochew theme but it is food prepared by Thais only [not a Chinese chef in the kitchen] with Thai ingredients and geared toward the Thai palate.

They allowed you to check the kitchen and inspect the ID cards of everyone working there plus run lab tests on the origin of the ingredients - wow!!!! I'm impressed. thumbsup.gif

However, you may not realise this but most restaurants around the world source ingredients locally. They also employ local chefs. Personally, I'm not disappointed that GTH buys his chickens and kale in Chiang Mai for example.

"It could be a Teochew theme..." cheesy.gif

Jia Tong Heng sure has some Thai dishes on the menu. Just don't order them.

Do not order Chinese dishes in a Thai restaurant either if you want a more authentic taste.

In my opinion Jia Tong Heng (both branches) is very good value for Chinese food in Chiang Mai but, like in most restaurants, you have to know what to order.

Heya everyone

Work has been a beast and I have not been posting as often as I should

Indeed the food here is Chinese food with a Teochew theme , the teochews are predominantly Chinese from the southern provinces , close to Canton and Swatow

For some the food tastes different from the Chinese you had at home (depending again where you call home)

There are many different Chinese food predominantly grouped into Cantonese (HK or Guangzhou) styled cooking which is more familiar in dim sum or the light art of cooking...Szechuan which focuses on chillis and peppers and fiery taste and you have the dong bei cuisine (northeast) which focuses on a lot of spipy oil and noodles

Most regions have their own speciality dishes but Cantonese and Szechuan styled cooking are probably the most easy to find in western countries

Teochew is a style of cooking that is more home styled. Very simple dishes and yet the focus is on the bean paste sauces used or porridge which they are famous for in china

They probably threw in the Peking duck to keep the tour groups happy

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app