Review - Jia Tong Heng Restaurant

LawrenceChee

Brought the parents there for their "last supper " in Chiang Mai and again this branch just off the highway same direction as driving towards Big C Extra / Index never disappoints

I rate this place as the best Chinese in CM with the Fujian coming a close second for cooked food. Dim sum Fujian is unbeatable in CM for now.

Parking ample space for cars and tour buses and the restaurant is well seperated between the walk-ins and the tour groups which will please those who do not want to see the noisier groups.

The decor is contemporary Chinese and pleasing to the eye and very clean. Great to impress the missus or business partners in CM

For the food, this restaurant is specializing in Teochew cuisine and the parents loved it (dad cooks professionally for years and can endorse this place as very good - which is a high rating from him)

We had the following

- Chye Sim with roasted pork

Great crispy pork and vegetables cooked right

- Tofu steamed with salted fish and minced pork - a staple dish and this was done just with the right amt of saltiness on the pork

- Snow peas with prawns ; great size shrimps and the American guest we hosted said this was the best he tasted and he likes snow peas

- Fried Crab Rolls another staple Teochew dish and this was very good

- Steamed Grouper which for most Cantonese chinese is the make / break dish, this one got great marks for the freshness , right soy sauce and the right "bite" on sweet steamed fish meat

Total including tea, water and rice came up to 1100 baht an outstanding value considering the size of the fish and the freshness which would have cost tripled in a restaurant in Singapore and Hong Kong !

Enjoy !

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Lawrence I will be going there within the next 2 or 3 days..My only question and a little bit of concern. You mention 1100 bahts for 4 people..Which I find very reasonable. My concern has to be the grouper. Unless you were served 5 cm sized portions I doubt the the fish was actually grouper as stated on the menu. Grouper is now becoming a very expensive fish to buy. On my last visit to Florida about this time last year many restaurants had been cited for selling fish as grouper which in fact was something else. If I may continue on the subject of fish. Just last week I read in a Canadian newspaper that 30% of fish sold in supermarkets in the USA and Canada were not the species that they were supposed to be. That aside I am looking forward to going to the restaurant this week.

Hahahah I was surprised too at the cost of the fish

On the menu it says like a typical chinese restauant by weight and I figured it will be in the range of 800-1500 baht for the fish alone.

But when it came ja it was a grouper maybe a cheaper cousin but it is :-)

Maybe thanks to the hoards of tour groups upstairs which was packed ...they got a bulk discount :-)

Were the hoards of tour groups upstairs Chinese by chance? If they were they certainly would not be like me if I were Chinese. If I were Chinese visiting Thailand I would be looking for great restaurants serving Thai food. Not Chinese food which I would be able to obtain daily at home.

Unfortunately yes. It's more a tour gimmick as I was explaining to my American guest tonight

For a Chinese client, on newspapers tour advertisements you have to basically highlight 3 areas to justify a higher rate or highlight value

- Tours or places of interest to visit

- Shopping options / local specialities

- Any special restaurants / food

JTH is now the biggest seating Chinese restaurant in town with the ambience and ability to serve up quick food to the tour groups so they have the advantage of the business volume

For the rest of us walk in we are seated on the lower levels and not affected at all so you can enjoy the night away and enjoy the excellent value for the food served

• Like 1

I like the old outlet on SriDonchai Rd. Prefer the non airconditioned area cos if you dawdle the food cools a little too quickly in airconditioning. And the elderly auntie, wife of the founder, wanders around making sure you don't order too much!!

And I concur Lawrence, great Teochew grub.

Edited by LemanRus

I like the old outlet on SriDonchai Rd. Prefer the non airconditioned area cos if you dawdle the food cools a little too quickly in airconditioning. And the elderly auntie, wife of the founder, wanders around making sure you don't order too much!!

And I concur Lawrence, great Teochew grub.

I never knew what kind of food it was, but this restaurant has always been my favorite. I have never tried the 2nd branch that Lawrence reviewed. Has Lawrence ever been to the Sridonchai branch?

I am very interested to try the restaurant you review here, Lawrence. Have you ever been to Yangzi Jiang, on Nimmanhaemin Soi 5. I like it very much and, in fact, it is the only Chinese restaurant that I know in Chiangmai that I like. Is it by any chance the one to which you were referring, LarryBird?

Thanks for the post. I'm surprised that you rated Jia Tong Heng so high. I never like Jia Tong Heng as they use fish sauce and I though they are Thai- Chinese style kind of cheap imitation of real Chinese food. Then again I'm not Chinese and I know nothing regarding Teochew cuisine or the different between Teochew and other Chinese regional dishes. I think your comment mean a lot particularly regarding your dad's if he endorse it now I think I will learn to like Jia Tong Heng!

They have the best Peking duck and pork pastry thing but don't order siew long bao.

I am very interested to try the restaurant you review here, Lawrence. Have you ever been to Yangzi Jiang, on Nimmanhaemin Soi 5. I like it very much and, in fact, it is the only Chinese restaurant that I know in Chiangmai that I like. Is it by any chance the one to which you were referring, LarryBird?

Aristide - most Chinese restaurants with such a big menu worldwide is a hit/ miss and not all items are good :-( unfortunately as the exec chef an only control so many elements on the kitchen

That is why over the years , I have narrowed down the range that I like and will order the same depending on the chefs speciality.

Southern food is still my favorite and the steamed dishes are naturally healthy

• Like 1

They have the best Peking duck and pork pastry thing but don't order siew long bao.

In fact, I go there almost always at lunch time, when I have their dim sum, which is superb.

Is the Jia Tong Heng Restaurant where you ate, Lawrence, a branch of the original restaurant on Sridonchai Road? If so, I wonder how they compare. In my experience, the one on Sridonchai Road is alright, but not all that good. Again in my experience, Yangzi Jiang in Nimmanhaemin is much better.

They are the same to me! I always go to Yanzi Jiang and Fujian for real dim sum. I hope you tried Mei Jiang in moo baan Chiang Mai Land also, no dim sum but same great food as Yanzi Jiang

Is the Jia Tong Heng Restaurant where you ate, Lawrence, a branch of the original restaurant on Sridonchai Road? If so, I wonder how they compare. In my experience, the one on Sridonchai Road is alright, but not all that good. Again in my experience, Yangzi Jiang in Nimmanhaemin is much better.

• Like 1

I think so. I can't find pie like this in other good Chinese places in the country actually I just had them in the other day and took the photo for a friend..

post-131333-0-44609300-1361948146_thumb.

The pork pastry thing is char siew sow

Char siew pau?

Edited by ARISTIDE

Haven't found a place that I prefer for Dim Sum or Chinese meals than Fujian yet but perhaps it is just due to individual taste. Yanzi Jiang really wasn't to my taste.

You've got me excited about trying Fujian, to where I have never been!

Haven't found a place that I prefer for Dim Sum or Chinese meals than Fujian yet but perhaps it is just due to individual taste. Yanzi Jiang really wasn't to my taste.

You've got me excited about trying Fujian, to where I have never been!

It's my favorite Chinese/Dim Sum in Chiang Mai though I gotta say that if you've been to Hong Kong you've got to kind of put that out of your mind. I don't think I've ever had any Dim Sum anywhere else that matches Hong Kong.

Went to jia tong heng (the one near The Chedi) during Loy Kratong festival last year. Food was average, a couple dishes were below par and left untouched. Service is ok. In CM this is the best chinese restaurant, sadly to know. Hope there will be better competition in the near future.

• Like 1