Student Trio Arrested In Bangkok For Cutting Off Rival's Fingers

webfact

Student trio arrested for cutting off rival's fingers
Monthien Inthaket
The Nation

30200827-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Three technological college students were arrested yesterday for cutting off six of a 16-year-old student's fingers during a brawl on Sukhumvit Road in Samut Prakan's Muang district on the evening of January 10.

Atthapol Chaemcheu, 18, Adisak Timhanwichaikhattha, 18, and their schoolmate aged 17, were presented at a press conference along with two 60-centimetre-long knives and the school uniforms they were wearing during the brawl on January 10 between students of two rival technological colleges. The 16-year-old victim from another vocational school wasn't involved in the brawl but was caught in the middle of fighting.

Responding to reports the victim's mother had complained about a lack of progress in the case, Provincial Police Region 1 chief Nares Nanthachote countered that police had not dragged their feet and had apprehended suspects for interrogation. However, the injured boy had failed to identify his attackers in a line-up, said Nares, so the suspects were released until enough evidence had been gathered to secure arrest warrants for the three in custody. He said police were now gathering evidence to get arrest warrants for nine others allegedly involved in the brawl as well as five more suspected of involvement.

Nares said the suspects in custody had confessed to assaulting the victim with knives because they thought he was from a rival-college group that had just thrown a "ping-pong bomb" at them onboard a No 25 bus. They also offered an apology to the victim for acting mistakenly in the heat of the moment and urged fellow gang-members involved in the brawl to surrender to police. The three were charged with attempted murder, and carrying knives in a public place without sound reason. They were also taken to the scene yesterday for a re-enactment of the crime.

The victim has reportedly accepted his attackers' apology and urged perpetrators still at large to surrender to police. He credited help from several agencies, plus the fact that his attackers had been arrested, for helping him recover from the trauma of the attack and enabling him to return to school.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-27

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gang mistaken identity happens all the time in the US, and probably the rest of the world.

2 thoughts.

<deleted> is a ping pong bomb? need to google that one.

The victim accepted the apology???blink.png

Do we really need to do this unfounded Thai bashing?

There plenty of legitimate Thai bashing material out there, you don't even need to look hard!wai.gif

just my 2 cents guys

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 2

stupidity rules this country, students fighting in gangs against other students from other colleges, where is the world going?

Happens in UK and USA, and probably other countries as well. Children often get killed in London by children from other schools. No need to single out Thailand.

• Like 2

Another example of the future of Thailand in the hands of imbeciles - and they get to vote.

And the imbeciles get to vote in other countries as well. e.g. USA and UK. I don't see how some schoolkids fighting has anything to do with the future of Thailand. What about the well-behaved kids? Aren't they the future as well?

Maybe it's you that shouldn't be allowed to vote.

• Like 1

Gang mistaken identity happens all the time in the US, and probably the rest of the world.

2 thoughts.

There plenty of legitimate Thai bashing material out there, you don't even need to look hard!wai.gif

just my 2 cents guys

Its not unfounded Thai bashing. its people commenting on the stupidity of these teenage boys. They are stupid. And yes they are the future generation of this country. Teenage schoolgirls selling sex to buy Iphones, teenage boys having running street battles with some very dangerous weapons, police the most corrupt organisation in Thailand and the Thai government focusing on western toilets. Is it any wonder the country is going downhill?

Yes, it is Thai bashing. A few stupid kids is irrelevant to the future of Thailand. All countries have stupid kids.

• Like 1

''The three were charged with attempted murder, and carrying knives in a public place without sound reason.''

When I was a teen back home at school. nobody, but NOBODY would think of carrying knives or weapons on them.

Now what would motivate teens to carry weapons?

Cowardness.

Knowledge that maiming others would mean little consequences?

What in the world??

But I remember some 20 years ago, newspapers published some stories of knives being pulled out during fights.

Then we found out that asians had emigrated, and were busy getting integrated...

2 thoughts.

just my 2 cents guys

I'm pretty sure that explosive chemicals are put into a ping pong ball with a syringe, then thrown. When impacted, it explodes.

• Like 1

2 thoughts.

just my 2 cents guys

I'm pretty sure that explosive chemicals are put into a ping pong ball with a syringe, then thrown. When impacted, it explodes.

This would surely make a bang during a ping pong show. :)

What's a ping pong bomb?

A small bomb used in the game ping-pong-for-real. Players hit the bomb back and forth, until it explodes. The game's popularity is due to its inherent simplicity, there being no necessity for scoring. However, players should bear in mind, that a greater financial commitment is to be expected, since the bats usually do not survive the loss of a game. Players must also consider whether to continue the sport after losing a match, since any subsequent games will be played with the player's remaining (non-favoured) hand. This is often perceived to increase the risk of a second (and final) loss.

I'm sorry if the responses seem to be Thai bashing, but who else do you expect them to bash? Everyone involved is Thai! Or were you expecting the readers to send accolades, perhaps? And unless you have been especially out of touch, you certainly must have noticed that this kind of incident from technical school students is far from unusual in the Kingdom. It is a long-standing and worrisome problem, and no, I don't recall reading about school rivalries in New York, or Saint Paul, or Port Jefferson repeatedly erupting on public busses, public concerts, and public toilets with deaths and maiming the routine result. I'm sorry, but "Just ignore it. Boys will be boys." is simply NOT an appropriate response.

• Like 1

All I can say is I hope this victim devotes his entire life to making the lives of his attackers, and their ENTIRE family, a completely miserable experience. They say some acts constitute such a breach, that they change your life forever. This appears to be one of those acts. Perhaps the cretons will spend 10 years in prison being a girlfriend of one of the larger, smellier inmates? One can only hope and pray for a fate like that, for the alligator kids. Obviously the victim is never going to be the same, regardless of what he says now out of fear of these insects. Maybe the insects can be made to suffer too? An eye for an eye? A finger, for a miserable life?

2 thoughts.

just my 2 cents guys

Its not unfounded Thai bashing. its people commenting on the stupidity of these teenage boys. They are stupid. And yes they are the future generation of this country. Teenage schoolgirls selling sex to buy Iphones, teenage boys having running street battles with some very dangerous weapons, police the most corrupt organisation in Thailand and the Thai government focusing on western toilets. Is it any wonder the country is going downhill?

"Teenage schoolgirls selling sex to buy Iphones"

Girls in the US and Japan have been know to do this for a while.(shocking i know)

"teenage boys having running street battles with some very dangerous weapons"

knives? TL knives vs Mac10's from south central LA. My $ is with the Rollin 60's.

And the kids arent necessarily stupid. They are doing stupid things. No excuse for it. But in a country with very few parks, or places for youth to go to work off their energy, or giving them useful education or a brighter future, you will get kids doing stupid things. Not necessarily the fault of the kids but of the parents and government for not developing their youth.

As for the issue of corruption, and Thai government in general, Now Theres some issues we can focus on!

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

stupidity rules this country, students fighting in gangs against other students from other colleges, where is the world going?

Happens in UK and USA, and probably other countries as well. Children often get killed in London by children from other schools. No need to single out Thailand.

It's irrelevant whether or not it happens in the UK or USA. We are not living there, we are living in Thailand. The fact is, that it's happening where we live.

Thank you wai.gif

''The three were charged with attempted murder, and carrying knives in a public place without sound reason.''

When I was a teen back home at school. nobody, but NOBODY would think of carrying knives or weapons on them.

Now what would motivate teens to carry weapons?

Cowardness.

Knowledge that maiming others would mean little consequences?

What in the world??

But I remember some 20 years ago, newspapers published some stories of knives being pulled out during fights.

Then we found out that asians had emigrated, and were busy getting integrated...

Things have certainly changed. Many teens carry knives now in my home country.

• Like 1

2 thoughts.

just my 2 cents guys

Yes, it is Thai bashing. A few stupid kids is irrelevant to the future of Thailand. All countries have stupid kids.

Oh yes, we musn't upset the "Thailand can do no wrong" brigade. Bunch of ballerinas!

2 thoughts.

just my 2 cents guys

It is a ping pong ball filled with explosive material, likely made in chemistry class,

and then a fuse like an M-80 firecracker. lots of fuses about with the unregulated fireworks we see daily.

A bit of glue and a lighter and you are ready to lob a pocketable IED into a rival school bus etc.

Parochialism is not unknown in any country,

my village is better than yours my school is better than yours, etc.

But the level of violence is what differs, sure there are school based gangs in most industrial basede countries, but it seems to go to much greater extremes and for more students here.

This poor kid was likely victimized because of the stupid demand that all school kids wear the same uniform clothing, so you can't tell a bad one from a good one by his dress, only that he is from the school that is your parochial enemy. No gang colors only the school clothes, of a school gang that just attacked your friends.

So...

logical response here, go mad and cut off and innocents fingers with a machette...

Oops, so sorry, wrong guy, we apologize.

Edited by animatic

They apologised so all is good. Just the small point of getting through life minus some fingers.

These cretins surely won't help the power crisis as put them all together there wouldn't be enough brain electricity generated to register on any scale.

It's a big deal to apologise and in murder cases this admitting guilt avoids the death penalty. i should stress apologising is not applicable to politicians, those with " good names ", the rich or general VIPs