Rumour - Has Tony Sold Out To The Russians?

tropo

I'm sorry but those kind of machines do not equate to a "proper gym" Plenty of 'hole in the wall' gyms in bangkok for locals without that fancy cardio equipment that has been accepted as the norm these days. And plenty of big dudes working out there.

I can get big in a garage home gym with some barbells and dumbbells.

Now, using your twisted logic, every gym in Pattaya is a "proper gym". You should be more than happy at Tony's because there's plenty of big guys there.

Obviously your idea of a "proper gym" and mine are different. I'd use World Gyms and Gold Gyms in the US as good examples of what a "proper gym" should look like.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you. Didn't realise I was talking to Jay cutler. My humble apologies

biggrin.png My apologies to you. How big do the members need to be in a gym in order for it to be classified as a "proper gym" by you?

Tony is almost finished his new gym on soi 11 Naklua, so this sheds doubt upon the rumor.

Not at all. Late last year he opened a new gym on Soi Buakhao. The fact that he's had two lifetime membership cash grabs in 5 months adds credibility to the rumour. New gyms just sweeten the deal for a potential buyer and makes him a lot more money.

He doesn't spend a lot of money on these new gyms. Check out Sportworld when you drive past... it's a huge, deteriorating, sun faded, bonafide plastic tent. This was a gym which was supposed to amaze us according to his pre-opening promotional speel.

Good point. I do not trust him since he lied about keeping the old Power Station at it's location.

That was unfortunate as it was the best of his gyms.

Having recently been burned by a lifetime membership at CaliWOW I'm really not qualified in the business runnings of a gym.

I've only seen the gyms youve mentioned before watching workouts on youtube. Certainly looks nice but there's no way pattaya has the amount of gym users to make that establishment viable.

Aircon at 22 degrees is a waste.. so is everytype of cardio device ala Californiawow style.

Problem is that to draw on the casual gym goer you need this type of equipment cause that's what people think they need.

For me I don't care too much. Just have heaps of fans going all the time

Having recently been burned by a lifetime membership at CaliWOW I'm really not qualified in the business runnings of a gym. I've only seen the gyms youve mentioned before watching workouts on youtube. Certainly looks nice but there's no way pattaya has the amount of gym users to make that establishment viable. Aircon at 22 degrees is a waste.. so is everytype of cardio device ala Californiawow style. Problem is that to draw on the casual gym goer you need this type of equipment cause that's what people think they need. For me I don't care too much. Just have heaps of fans going all the time

You're the one talking about "proper gyms" and then suggesting you can train anywhere.

According to your requirements there's at least one dozen gyms in Pattaya good enough for you.

It's not a matter of needing, but wanting. I would love to train in 22C aircon as I used to at California Wow, but now I train in 30C with inadequate fans. I leave the gym soaking wet from head to toe. That's not ideal, but it's the way it is.

It's also more difficult to get big in that heat.laugh.png

Perhaps if Russians take over they'll upgrade the airconditioning. They'll have to build a real wall to replace the plastic wall of the tent gym.

Edited by tropo

Amazing Tropo...............

Now who exactly was it saying that nobody could be guillable enough to believe life time memberships could ever be honoured !!

May not of been yourself but someone mentioned he taken about 6 Million Baht in a short membership period and I asked what was stopping him walking away............

Amazing Thailand.....

• 2 weeks later...

Russian specifically go to gyms to capture Pattaya))))) Open your eyes.You go to Tony fitness staff due to low salaries treats you like animals.You swim in the pool to ourselves and pissing. (the water in the jacuzzi and the pool is changing very rare)Most of the trainers are broken.Tony fitness is very dirty.Not every Russian can be engaged in sports in this pigsty

Edited by JohnWollker

Amazing Tropo...............

Now who exactly was it saying that nobody could be guillable enough to believe life time memberships could ever be honoured !!

May not of been yourself but someone mentioned he taken about 6 Million Baht in a short membership period and I asked what was stopping him walking away............

Amazing Thailand.....

Probably about 8 million over the last 2 yearly membership promotions on August 4 and January 16.

What's stopping him from walking away? Nothing. It's a gamble, but not an expensive one for a person who uses the gym often.

The rumour was probably only that. I don't see any signs of a Russian takeover yet.

Russian specifically go to gyms to capture Pattaya))))) Open your eyes.You go to Tony fitness staff due to low salaries treats you like animals.You swim in the pool to ourselves and pissing. (the water in the jacuzzi and the pool is changing very rare)Most of the trainers are broken.Tony fitness is very dirty.Not every Russian can be engaged in sports in this pigsty

You're right on the money. Why do so many people train at Tony's? There isn't a lot of choice in Pattaya, that's why. Plenty of Russians are training there though.

No one really cares about much though. They have signs asking to re-rack weights yet last time I used the DB rack just about every DB was on the floor and this was right in the line of sight of the desk staff.

To me it looks like there is less attention to details compared to a few years ago. The staff used to be running around clearing the place more and wiping down benches etc. I don't see that now.

Edited by tropo

You're right on the money. Why do so many people train at Tony's? There isn't a lot of choice in Pattaya, that's why. Plenty of Russians are training there though.

No one really cares about much though. They have signs asking to re-rack weights yet last time I used the DB rack just about every DB was on the floor and this was right in the line of sight of the desk staff.

To me it looks like there is less attention to details compared to a few years ago. The staff used to be running around clearing the place more and wiping down benches etc. I don't see that now.

Russian saying-the fish rots from the head.What you want from the people who work more than 12 hours a day. One output per month. for very little money .You've seen in at least one of the fitness cash register?At best, if you buy something that you write out a check of the hand.As if the yard 19th century.And how you have to be an idiot to buy this pigsty?

Russian saying-the fish rots from the head.What you want from the people who work more than 12 hours a day. One output per month. for very little money .You've seen in at least one of the fitness cash register?At best, if you buy something that you write out a check of the hand.As if the yard 19th century.And how you have to be an idiot to buy this pigsty?

I'm no idiot, but thanks for your concern. I'm a very serious trainer who needs somewhere to train with decent heavy duty equipment. For all it's negatives it still does the trick, and there are currently no better alternatives in town FOR THE TYPE OF TRAINING I DO. If you're a light weight, fitness-type trainer there are some decent hotel gyms which may suffice because as a cardio gym Tony's is beyond bad.

(If this is the best you can come up with on your 2nd post, you should seriously consider retiring right now)

Edited by tropo

I'm no idiot, but thanks for your concern. I'm a very serious trainer who needs somewhere to train with decent heavy duty equipment. For all it's negatives it still does the trick, and there are currently no better alternatives in town FOR THE TYPE OF TRAINING I DO. If you're a light weight, fitness-type trainer there are some decent hotel gyms which may suffice because as a cardio gym Tony's is beyond bad.

(If this is the best you can come up with on your 2nd post, you should seriously consider retiring right now)

I do not think you're an idiot.Just as you do in the gym.I understand your concerns .first came into the Tony in 2009.Since then Tony has changed for the worse.I found an alternative to Tony fitness.that there is no advertising the names will not be called.the Third Road. has a great gym.two floors of the second floor fitness boxing gym.I go to this fitness.only minus the absence of air conditioners.and Tony conditioners work rarely

• Like 1

Good for you. Didn't realise I was talking to Jay cutler. My humble apologies

biggrin.png My apologies to you. How big do the members need to be in a gym in order for it to be classified as a "proper gym" by you?

And which body part is the big bit referring to ?

Why doesn't someone just build a freakin proper gym. How hard can it be Its like they're trying to build a space station at great difficulty

There are plenty of wealthy Thai business men looking for a new project to sink their money into. You'd think with all the comments asking for a "decent" gym, someone would look into it. True, membership would have to be more than what CA Wow was - but for many of us (who live here) the annual fee would be worth it. /// I can remember when Central shopping center first opened up, Fitness First was planning to open up a fitness center there. It didn't happen because (according to rumors) the rent was going to be too high. Maybe they should look into opening at the Avenue

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

jomtien is also "manned" by a Russian bird. customer convenience?

How do they get work permits for such a task?

How do most of Tony's staff get work permits? He's had plenty of Burmese and Filipino staff over the years, along with other assorted nationalities. The low pay keeps them coming.

Those from ASEAN countries such as the Philippines are able to work in LOS easier than those who are not. This does not explain how Russians are performing menial tasks such as a gym receptionist, something a Thai can do and therefore technically illegal. Russians working in the gyms would suggest that Tony has sold out already IMO.

If at all possible. I avoid patronizing any business run, or owned by Russians. If all I see is the Russian writing, I won't go into the establishment. For the most part, I have found Russians to be rude, arrogant, ignorant, usually they have no class, and are often drunk. When in groups the Russians behave like bullies.

Edited by philliphn
  • Like 1

I was told many years ago that Tony was just a front man for the Russians. I was advised to stay clear of any enterprise with his name on it. My informant was a successful business man in Pattaya who was on the inside of much that goes on in Pattaya. Unfortunately he died last year or I'd ask him for his take on the current situation.

That area on the 3rd Road extension that has a Thai name that nobody uses, since presumably nobody can interpret, may no longer be referred to as Tonytown then. Vlad's village sound good to you?

I was told many years ago that Tony was just a front man for the Russians. I was advised to stay clear of any enterprise with his name on it. My informant was a successful business man in Pattaya who was on the inside of much that goes on in Pattaya. Unfortunately he died last year or I'd ask him for his take on the current situation.

That area on the 3rd Road extension that has a Thai name that nobody uses, since presumably nobody can interpret, may no longer be referred to as Tonytown then. Vlad's village sound good to you?

It's not easy to stay away from Tony's gyms... he has 17 sprinkled around Pattaya now.

Who cares about the politics when you need a place to train?

The only concern would be for lifetime memberships if he sells out, but I'm sure most people who bought them went in with reservations.

I'm aware of 4 Tony's gyms in Pattaya - where did the other 13 come from?!

Different names I guess?

They are all Tony's. I got the number from Eddie, the new American gym manager at the main gym. I can think of 8 branches without even breaking a sweat.,

I'm aware of 4 Tony's gyms in Pattaya - where did the other 13 come from?!

Different names I guess?

They are all Tony's. I got the number from Eddie, the new American gym manager at the main gym. I can think of 8 branches without even breaking a sweat.,

... and naturally since you started this thread you asked the big question to the new manager, and his reply was??