Bangkok Governor Election: Voter Turnout ' Will Be Deciding Factor'

webfact

Voter turnout 'will be deciding factor'
Kornchanok Raksaseri,
Attayuth Bootsripoom
The Nation

30200901-01_big.jpg
The Bangkok Election Commission and the Non-Formal and Informal Education kick off a campaign inviting Bangkok residents to go out and vote for a new Bangkok governor this Sunday.

Pheu Thai director confident as Pongsapat enters final strait

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai Party's election director Phumtham Wechayachai spent most of his interview with The Nation yesterday either grinning or bursting into fits of laughter.

With just four days to go before the Bangkok governor election, the only phrases Phumtham kept repeating was he wanted the turnout to be huge and that he expected the winning candidate to win at least a million votes. However, he did not point to an obvious victory for his party's candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen.

"We have visited several places and got very good feedback from people. It has given us a lot of moral support. Now we only need one thing - that everyone comes out to vote. We believe that will be the deciding factor between the two parties [Pheu Thai and Democrat]," he said.

The Democrat Party's candidate Sukhumbhand Paribatra won the 2009 election with about 930,000 votes against Pheu Thai's Yuranan Pamornmontri's 610,000, while independent candidates got about 510,000 votes in total.

Phumtham said his party did not need to do anything special in the last few days before the election because it had followed well-planned steps.

"Initially, we spent a lot of time explaining the 'seamless' strategy about Bangkok management and how it does not mean taking over the country and avoiding examination. Later, we explained our policies that stress the connection between networks, Pongsapat and Pheu Thai Party so we can walk the walk and do what we have promised," he said.

Pongsapat's final campaign, "Change the City, Change the Life: Bangkok Makeover", was launched yesterday to wrap up the policies already presented as well as tell Bangkokians how their lives can become better from using the existing resources, he said.

"Today, we believe we have a good chance [of winning the election]. People came out of their shop houses to wave to [Prime Minister] Yingluck [shinawatra] and Pongsapat. People driving all kinds of cars, from Mercedes to ordinary sedans, blew their horns and waved to greet us."

He said that people in luxury cars, or owners of "houses with compounds" (the middle and upper-middle class), were obviously joining those who use public transport to support Pheu Thai.

Pongsapat had visited almost all of the Bangkok shopping malls, and the visits were natural and easy.

Several times in the interview, Phumtham also spoke excitedly about how people welcomed Yingluck when she joined Pongsapat's campaign, adding very quickly that the party and the PM had taken great care not to violate any laws. He said Yingluck joined the campaign out of office hours and had done so as a "member of the Pheu Thai Party", not prime minister.

Phumtham also tried to highlight Pongsapat's qualities.

"Like Yingluck, Pongsapat is a good coordinator who can seek cooperation [from different parts of society]. He is good at making compromises, which makes him perfect for the job," he said, adding that Pongsapat followed Yingluck's belief to always stay positive.

When asked whether the "seamless" strategy linking the state government with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration would work if the governor did not come from Pheu Thai, Phumtham said similar ideas and priorities would make the work smoother.

He said it was more important to promote proper management and link up with other mechanisms in society because the BMA actually had limited funding and authority.

Meanwhile, the party will unveil its "smiley" campaign at Ratchaprasong intersection tomorrow, which will feature nine small cars sporting the number 9 - Pongsapat's candidacy number.

These vehicles will join a caravan of about 100 cars on Saturday and spread to 50 districts of Bangkok. Yingluck will join the caravan at the Royal Plaza and head for Victory Monument.

"These cartoon cars are meant to show that elections are not a throat-cutting business, but is a relaxing one," he said.

Previous ballot figures

Voter-turnout figures for the five previous Bangkok governor elections (1996 - 2009)

June 2, 1996: 43.5 per cent

July 23, 2000: 59 per cent

August 2004: 62.5 per cent

October 5, 2008: 54 per cent

January 11, 2009: 51 per cent

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-28

It's good to see that former Thaksin Cabinet Minister (and Chalerm drinking buddy) Phumtham, who was banned from politics for election fraud, has found a new position commensurate with his proven skills.

312d9486f193dfba843dc963d1293379_zpsac7f

Pheu Thai Party's election director Phumtham Wechayachai

. Edited by Buchholz

It's good to see that former Thaksin Cabinet Minister (and Chalerm drinking buddy) Phumtham, who was banned from politics for election fraud, has found a new position commensurate with his proven skills.

Is this going to be the line for the usual suspects if their candidate loses on Sunday ie that PTP won by electoral fraud? They just can't bear to accept that a popular vote sometimes means just that.

My view based on a range of admittedly anecdotal evidence is still that Sukhumband will scrape home.There seems to be quite a good Democrat last week campaign which will help mobilise the base supporters.

Is this going to be the line for the usual suspects if their candidate loses on Sunday ie that PTP won by electoral fraud? They just can't bear to accept that a popular vote sometimes means just that.

My view based on a range of admittedly anecdotal evidence is still that Sukhumband will scrape home.There seems to be quite a good Democrat last week campaign which will help mobilise the base supporters.

"their" candidate? blink.pnghuh.png

I was just highlighting that one party is utilizing a proven fraudster. thumbsup.gif

Sorry if "the usual suspects" have a problem with that spotlighting of "their" candidate which makes them uncomfortable. *facetious sarcasm*

Actually, I'm fully aware that my actually stated preferred candidate (as opposed to your, as usual, erroneous supposition) is not likely to win the governorship and I'm fully prepared to suffer the horrific consequences of her loss at the polls. rolleyes.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/622124-bangkok-governor-election-candidates-promise-a-city-free-of-graft/?view=findpost&p=6154036

Edited by Buchholz

People came out of their shop houses to wave to [Prime Minister] Yingluck [shinawatra] and Pongsapat. People driving all kinds of cars, from Mercedes to ordinary sedans, blew their horns and waved to greet us."

As Bangkok people get bored and upset with any traffic flow disturbing caravan of fools I wonder which finger of the waving hands was raised?

People came out of their shop houses to wave to [Prime Minister] Yingluck [shinawatra] and Pongsapat. People driving all kinds of cars, from Mercedes to ordinary sedans, blew their horns and waved to greet us."

As Bangkok people get bored and upset with any traffic flow disturbing caravan of fools I wonder which finger of the waving hands was raised?

More whistling in the dark from the usual suspects.They can't bear to think PTP has wide support across income and social classes.

But as earlier noted I don't think they have much to worry about on Sunday.

More whistling in the dark from the usual suspects.They can't bear to think PTP has wide support across income and social classes.

More denigrating remarks from our learned member. Some can't bear to see a possible suggestion that their darling and her candidate may be compared with a 'caravan of fools'.

Furthermore my dear learned sir, may I put your attention to the fact that I'm neither whistling, nor in the dark. I'm sitting behind a computer in a well-lit, airconditioned room and typing this message. Every once in a while hearing music outside and taking the trouble to look I see a pickup with #9. Till now I seem to have missed promotions of the other candidates, somehow that is. Mind you, yesterday I saw the Election Commission promotion with lots of people and three bands walk past.

Only three more days and with a voting station of district 5 outside my appartment I'll be right on top of it rolleyes.gif

More denigrating remarks from our learned member. Some can't bear to see a possible suggestion that their darling and her candidate may be compared with a 'caravan of fools'.

Furthermore my dear learned sir, may I put your attention to the fact that I'm neither whistling, nor in the dark. I'm sitting behind a computer in a well-lit, airconditioned room and typing this message. Every once in a while hearing music outside and taking the trouble to look I see a pickup with #9. Till now I seem to have missed promotions of the other candidates, somehow that is. Mind you, yesterday I saw the Election Commission promotion with lots of people and three bands walk past.

Only three more days and with a voting station of district 5 outside my appartment I'll be right on top of it rolleyes.gif

Hey rubl is the voting station big enough to accommodate Thida's 10,000 red shirts? It would be hilarious if she received an anonymous phone call alerting her of voting issues at your place and they showed up. Just think how long we could go with that thread.

Hey rubl is the voting station big enough to accommodate Thida's 10,000 red shirts? It would be hilarious if she received an anonymous phone call alerting her of voting issues at your place and they showed up. Just think how long we could go with that thread.

My district voted in the Pheu Thai candidate at the last elections, July 3rd, 2011. I do not expect problems here. If on Sunday you'll get newsflashes on a foreign observer, or even 'farang interfering' that'll be me. Still wondering if I dare to walk there with a beer in my hands smile.png

Note that the station is split in three substations with each their own tentcover (to protect from sun and rain). Probably Saturday chairs, tables and other attributes will be setup. For now only boards with long lists (of registered voters?), rules & regulations and pictures of all 25 candidates.

PS just for good order, walking outside a moment ago I saw a pickup with #16 drive past. Less loud than the #9's which may explain why I didn't hear them before. My hearing was damaged during a live fire mortar exercise wai.gif

Edited by rubl

"Like Yingluck, Pongsapat is a good coordinator who can seek cooperation
[from different parts of society]. He is good at making compromises,
which makes him perfect for the job," he said, adding that Pongsapat
followed Yingluck's belief to always stay positive.

No doubt, like Yingluck, he is good at doing what he is told. Wonder who he shares the memory lapses with?

With just four days to go before the Bangkok governor election, the only phrases Phumtham kept repeating was he wanted the turnout to be huge and that he expected the winning candidate to win at least a million votes. However, he did not point to an obvious victory for his party's candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen.

I can almost hear those engines revving up on the cloud-seeding planes. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Kornchanok Raksaseri,

Attayuth Bootsripoom

The Nation

30200901-01_big.jpg

The Bangkok Election Commission and the Non-Formal and Informal Education kick off a campaign inviting Bangkok residents to go out and vote for a new Bangkok governor this Sunday.

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai Party's election director Phumtham Wechayachai spent most of his interview with The Nation yesterday either grinning or bursting into fits of laughter.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-28

Look at the pictures, "it's the Pheu Thai-Teletubbies,... TELETUBBIIIIIEEEESSSSS .....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Voter turnout 'will be deciding factor' = Mindless sheep that we have brainwashed with several years of corruption manipulation, and white-lie empty promises, 'will be deciding factor' = Thai taxpayers SCREWED again cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Gosh, how did they manage to work that out? But I forgot, silly me, they all bought oops, slip of the pen, I mean got bachelors degrees!

I suppose that it follows that If nobody turns out, then no-one will get the job?rolleyes.gif

Kornchanok Raksaseri,

Attayuth Bootsripoom

The Nation

30200901-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-28

Look at the pictures, "it's the Pheu Thai-Teletubbies,... TELETUBBIIIIIEEEESSSSS .....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Voter turnout 'will be deciding factor' = Mindless sheep that we have brainwashed with several years of corruption manipulation, and white-lie empty promises, 'will be deciding factor' = Thai taxpayers SCREWED again cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Actually those are NOT Pheu Thai Teletubbies if only because the current Pheu Thai led government is very precise in dealing with Intellectual Property rights. You were probably distracted by the 'grinning and bursting fits of laughter' of the Pheu Thai election director for Pol. General dr. Pongsapat's campaign.

If you had paid attention you'd have noticed the article started with

"The Bangkok Election Commission and the Non-Formal and Informal Education kick off a campaign inviting Bangkok residents to go out and vote for a new Bangkok governor this Sunday."

I saw the parade with music bands walk passed on Wednesday. Nice music, people in various (regions) local dresses, lots of posters 'go vote!', etc., etc.

Kornchanok Raksaseri,

Attayuth Bootsripoom

The Nation

30200901-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-28

On second viewing, isn't the middle one supposed to be the Prime Minister ?

But no, there's no handbag from Hong Kong or Paris.

Wonder who are the other characters supposed to be ?

Whatever, I hope the weather stays fine, and they get a good turnout, people who can't be bothered to vote deserve whoever they get, IMO.