About To Rent Our First Apartment. Any Words Of Wisdom?

Or maybe a condo, just starting to look (Jomtien area).

I'd sure like to not learn lessons the hard way, what should I look for (look out for) when considering a rental? Like 'don't get a room near the elevator/kitchen' or 'be sure to ask the manager about ....' or 'whatever you do don't .....'. Are rooms near ground level more/less noisy? (wife doesn't like heights unfortunately). What should I do to avoid a fight over security deposit return? Safety considerations? You get the idea. Thanks much.

Edited by Lopburi99

Go through an agent, many private landlords wont return deposits. Check for cinstruction close by

As the above poster said,i too have always had hassle when dealing with a private landlord regarding the return of the deposit,verbal promises mean nothing to some people.

Never rented through an agent,but if others have and recommend,then maybe thats a better option,good luck.

Some condo developments have 50 + units per floor, hence it may be desirable to be near a lift (less walking, which on a hot day will be a blessing)

The higher to the top you are the more times your lift will stop at other floors

get a contract in English

Examine the place carefully and note any damage and get the owner/agent to countersign

If its a condo, a monthly maintenance fee is payable- for security lighting, communal facilities.... make sure it is clear who is paying this. As far as I am concerned it is the owners responsibility.

Check the meter readings and ensure they are added to the contract

For what its worth I rented a condo in BKK from the owner and he was fine, and refunded my deposit in full. I am not sure if he is the exception to the rule or not.

good luck

Get some one to stand outside with the door closed and stomp their feet, talk loudly, make noise etc to see how much the sound travels from outside into your living area.

I spent 3 years virtually living with the thai/Chinese family and their 2yr old across the corridor because I failed to check the acoustics.

Taking 3 years to cancel the contract and move is a decision to stay. I would move within a month if it was excessive, or complain and get it to stop.

Monthly maintenance is often paid by the renter, it really does not make much of a difference. One amount or two or three. Total costs is what it is about.

Electricity and water costs are the two things that can be much higher then anticipated. Ask for bills from previous months if possible, or ask rates.

In the last 10 years i rented a lot of condo's, houses etc. Deposit was always returned, i think it has little to do with luck.

Higher floors often have more wind, better views and less mosquitoes/insects and air pollution. Corner units when on the good side regarding direct sunlight often have more windows and will allow you to ventilate and have lots more natural light and you have one neighbor less. I like to be as far from an elevator as possible, last unit is my favorite. No passing people. Especially when you are in a farang invested area where drunks come home late at night, where i live most people have daytime jobs and come home to sleep, no tourists.

I have kids so i am close to the swimming pool and daytime noise from that does not bother me. If it does you have another thing to consider. Look for empty land next to a building, probably you will have construction noises for a few years to come. If you care about your health stay as far away from heavy traffic.

In my experience agents just adds costs. And i not really like to pay and get nothing in return. The best way to find a condo with a good price is to do the legwork. Stay around certain areas and see what is happening around the building, what kind of people are walking in and out of the condo, etc.

Edited by Khun Jean

Some condo developments have 50 + units per floor, hence it may be desirable to be near a lift (less walking, which on a hot day will be a blessing)

The higher to the top you are the more times your lift will stop at other floors

get a contract in English

Examine the place carefully and note any damage and get the owner/agent to countersign

If its a condo, a monthly maintenance fee is payable- for security lighting, communal facilities.... make sure it is clear who is paying this. As far as I am concerned it is the owners responsibility.

Check the meter readings and ensure they are added to the contract

For what its worth I rented a condo in BKK from the owner and he was fine, and refunded my deposit in full. I am not sure if he is the exception to the rule or not.

good luck

There was a poll on ThaiVisa a while back asking if asking if renters got their deposit back or not. As far as I remember, only one person didn't get the full deposit back. They didn't elaborate on how much they got back or why it wasn't the full amount. I am in my third condo, and have always had the full deposit back promptly. The current landlord is coming soon to return the deposit a few days before we move out, because that's the only time he can come. He's happy to give the deposit back early. I think it's rare for the deposit not to be returned. I suspect that when it's not returned in full that the renter has caused damage and won't admit it. Some renters just don't know how to look after a property or just don't care. But as the poll showed, nearly every single person got their deposit back in full. That is the reality.

Check the path of the sun. In Jomtien many of the condos are situated so one side of the building will get morning sun, which could be a problem if you like to sleep in.

Screen doors- even high floors get skeeters and having screens means no a/c running all night. Rare except for previously owner occupied units.

A washing machine saves a ton of money, but not many rentals are so equipped.

Some condos only have hot water for the shower.

Listed rates can be bargained down substantially for long stays.

Don't end up too close to bar areas, and especially karaokes.

• Like 1

Check the path of the sun.

Well kept building

Helpful staff, 24hour security

Toilet up front near door

Balcony of iron better than cement for wind

Where dors ac unit hang off of

Toilet clean, dry, all.works well.

Electric sockets

Fullnsliding door on back (if you are stunningly lucky a small window extra)

Corner unit if you can afford

As far away from elevator as possible

Minimum deadbolt + double loop.hooks for padlock.super great but not ez to find

3rd floor is as low as you want to be

Not too high, fires, elevator broken esp slow elevator

Be very sensitive to ambient noise around apt

Try to.pay no more 6b for elec, no more than 7

Deposits should be reasonable

Lrss than 15 min walk to mrt bts

Lrss than 10mins to 7! !

Check security!

Ez access to supermarket

B300 Internet

No.children in building

Dont ask for an anything special like English contracts or changed locks. Not happening.

Check the path of the sun.

Well kept building

Helpful staff, 24hour security

Toilet up front near door

Balcony of iron better than cement for wind

Where dors ac unit hang off of

Toilet clean, dry, all.works well.

Electric sockets

Fullnsliding door on back (if you are stunningly lucky a small window extra)

Corner unit if you can afford

As far away from elevator as possible

Minimum deadbolt + double loop.hooks for padlock.super great but not ez to find

3rd floor is as low as you want to be

Not too high, fires, elevator broken esp slow elevator

Be very sensitive to ambient noise around apt

Try to.pay no more 6b for elec, no more than 7

Deposits should be reasonable

Lrss than 15 min walk to mrt bts

Lrss than 10mins to 7! !

Check security!

Ez access to supermarket

B300 Internet

No.children in building

Dont ask for an anything special like English contracts or changed locks. Not happening.

What a stupid list. There is no MRT or BTS in Pattaya, so what's the point of saying he should be withing a 15 minute walk. I wouldn't let you live in a condo that I owned. You are far too fussy.

All my contracts have been in English. There is no reason not to have an English contract. So, bad advice from you.

You won't get much of an internet service for 300 baht. Internet is generally nothing to do with the landlord anyway, so not up to him/her how much you pay.

Nothing wrong with children in the building.

Edited by davejones
  • Like 1

That's an opinion.

Personally I think the little buggers should all be shot.

LOL. I suppose it depends on how well behaved they are. Lots of children in my building, but all very well behaved. But I've lived near some not very well behaved children in the UK, so know what you mean.

Yes of course, there is no mrt, bts in Pattaya nor in Mukadahan Just figured most people clever enough to understand that. You dj, not so much.

It is a great list. Sorry if your crappy condo does not make my standards. Funny, I am always accused of being such a cheapo on thus board. But I guess a Cheap Charlie with high standards.

Incidently - I am living in BKK. I have all these things plus a sink outside the toilet and basic cable (farang). We just had our rent raised and are now paying b4560 a month. This will go to 4750 when we move up.to a higher floor. Our internet is plenty, unlimited with about 250kb download b300.

It is not easy finding a great apartment but I guarantee that it never begins with doing business with a farang.

Years ago when I lived in Pattaya - I never had a rental agreement. I lived in half dozen places over the years.

A final tip you stated "we" - take the number of the apartment and have your SO make the call in Thai. Just avoid any papers or electronic ads in English or pieces of paper along the road in English for available condos.

English contract will not serve you in Thai court either.

Finally, never ever rent from a broker, Thai or farang but esp the latter.

Bite me slumlords.

Edited by bangkokburning

I always believe the best people to give advice about something are those who are experiencing it. that could be a neighborhood or car or condo or apartment. I'd take an hour or so and just knock on potential neighbors doors and ask them how they like the place. It's surprising how much candid information can be garnered this way. I always ask "would you do it again"?

It you do find the place that seems OK and you move forward, I'd suggest taking lots of photos and if possible a video of the contents and condition of the place. Amazing what can be forgotten or overlooked on a contract.

good luck.

• Like 2

Good info and ideas, thanks. We are driving to Jomtien this week and have several units to check out (thanks for the PMs).

Is renting for a short period before going monthly commonly done? I'd gladly pay a premium rate. Most likely it only takes a few days to know whether or not to book.

I lived in Pattaya for a number of years before I found the place (and include Jomtien in this). Unlivable.

I rented for years, came and went as I pleased. Two of my apt managers held some boxes and my fan(s) while I eas gone. When I returned, I just moved my stuff around until I got the best apartment I could. If I had to hold the flat, I would have been better off in another place, but those were great terms.

Best way to live if coming and going like you seem to want to do is rent a mote ptemium place and then chuck it after a few months. Done all the time, the whole Pattaya/Jomtien thing is set up exactly for this.

You will aquire a fan, some small odds and ends - just give them to some poor Thai you have come to know (bar girls dont care abt this stuff incidentally). Cheap, ez and no hassles. If you have a friend, maybe yhey can store some or all of it. Keep it small and simple.

I understand Pattaya/Jomtien still glutted with rooms so if you take your time you can find what you are after. Altnough I think rooms now are way overpriced compared to BKK.

You should very much be able to rent a room on per month basis with only one month advance (perhaps a small furniture dep as well). Condos even rented from Thais will be more and more than likely will be two months plus deposit.

You def. dont need to sign a paper for a flat in Pattaya though.

Edited by bangkokburning

That's an opinion.

LOL. I suppose it depends on how well behaved they are. Lots of children in my building, but all very well behaved. But I've lived near some not very well behaved children in the UK, so know what you mean.

Lots of children in my building also. Sure they are well behaved but the noise, shreeks, and squeels they make at the swimming pool can be heard up to the 23rd floor. All the retired gents enjoy their morning coffee by the pool, then head back to their room as soon as the children show up.

That's an opinion.

Lots of children in my building also. Sure they are well behaved but the noise, shreeks, and squeels they make at the swimming pool can be heard up to the 23rd floor. All the retired gents enjoy their morning coffee by the pool, then head back to their room as soon as the children show up.

If it bothers them that much then they should move to a retired people's condo. LOL. I prefer to the diversity of having a range of different types of people in the people - singles, couples, families, young and old. For me, it makes for a much better atmosphere. Kids here don't shout and squeal much. I hear them sometimes, but it's not something that bothers me. I just tune it out.

If it bothers them that much then they should move to a retired people's condo.

I have long thought that there may be a very good niche market for a condo building where everyone under 30 was completely banned, and with strictly enforced rules about noise, cooking, leaving doors open onto the corridor, radios by the pool etc.

I'm not aware of anything that fits this description here, yet it is quite common in other countries.

If it bothers them that much then they should move to a retired people's condo.

I have long thought that there may be a very good niche market for a condo building where everyone under 30 was completely banned, and with strictly enforced rules about noise, cooking, leaving doors open onto the corridor, radios by the pool etc.

I'm not aware of anything that fits this description here, yet it is quite common in other countries.

I can't think of anything worse than living in a condo building full of grumpy old men. I've seen them in the UK. They are the most dull places you could ever visit. So depressing.

I can't think of anything worse than living in a condo building full of grumpy old men. I've seen them in the UK. They are the most dull places you could ever visit. So depressing.

I dont really care who or what my neighbours are, just as long as I don't have to hear them, see them, talk to them or smell them.

I dont really care who or what my neighbours are, just as long as I don't have to hear them, see them, talk to them or smell them.

But most old people's places smell quite bad, so you would be able to smell them. LOL. Sounds like you need a house in some remote area. I take it that you're not very sociable.

That's an opinion.

Shame they missed you when you where a little bugger tongue.png

Also have it stated that the landlord has to pay for the insurance of it. Strange but true.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach
  • Like 1

But it appears that is who you exclusively to rent to.

Who else pays 15-20 over the going rate for convenience of dealing with a farang?

But it appears that is who you exclusively to rent to.

Who else pays 15-20 over the going rate for convenience of dealing with a farang?

No idea where you get that from, as I don't own any property in Thailand. With my UK property, I rent to a variety of people, not one particular demographic.