Segway Scooters In Bangkok

joebuzzard

Today I saw some farangs riding their Segway scooters in Lumpini Park. My initial reaction to is one of revulsion. :o

Do these people, all young and healthy, think they look smart by riding a Segway in Lumpini? Smiling, happy. Oh so trendy. They look like a commercial. They make me sick.

I guess later they'll ride their Segway over to a Starbucks, where they'll plant their butt in the big comfy chair and sit there all night nursing an iced double mocha whatever while they surf wirelessly on their laptop. Ok, I've got some issues with the chair hogs at Starbucks as well. Got that out of my system. :D

Back to Lumpini. It's a great place for jogging. Others do tai chi or other exercise. I don't think riding a Segway is exercise, though. It was a beautiful day today. Why not park the Segway and go for a walk?

Still, in all fairness, I guess if you have a Segway, Lumpini is the only place to ride it. The footpaths are a joke, and in the streets, a Segway wouldn't have a chance up against the buses and motopsycho drivers.

Other than today, I saw a dude riding a Segway on Sukhumvit Soi 7. My initial reaction seeing that was the same as today - me thinking how dumb the guy looked.

What's the deal with these Segways? Did the people bring these Segways into the country on their own just to use recreationally? Or are they being paid by the Segway builder to ride the stupid scooters around and try to promote them?

If I get a chance to get up close and personal with these folks, I will do my best to hide my irritation at them and try to calmly ask them some questions.

Segways weren't designed for Bangkok streets. The price is absolutely crazy - around $15,000 in the States, I believe. Also, you can't carry anything on one. An electric scooter or bicycle costing $300-500 is a much better option. Agreed, Lumpini is for exercise, not joyriding.

those scooter are way kool, where do i go to get one of those, i seen those scooter back in the state a few year back, they were newly develope, didn't know they have it in bangkok, i been wanting one of those for year.

oh common old geeser, something that just not meant for you old folks. :o

To all the Aussies that were around in the 70s.

Beautiful People, by Australian Crawl.

I SAID BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THEY'VE GOT A ROBERT PALMER T-SHIRT IN THEIR TRAVEL BAG

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THEY'VE GOT A PRICE UPON THEIR HEAD

I SAID BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

HAVE GOT SOME FRIENDS

WHO JUST FLEW IN FROM LA YEAH

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THEY HAVEN'T REALLY MUCH TO SAY

CHORUS

I SAID PEOPLE, THEY JUST WANT TO TAKE YOU

PEOPLE, THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE YOU

PEOPLE, THEY JUST WANT TO BREAK YOU DOWN

THEY JUST WANT TO TAKE YOU DOWN

I SAID BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THEY RIDE TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR PUSHBIKES IN THE PARK

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THEY WON'T ADMIT IT

BUT THEY MAKE LOVE IN THE DARK

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

SNAP FROZEN POTTED PALMS

IN THE CORNER OF THE LIVING ROOM

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THE ART-DECOR SONIC BOOM

CHORUS

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

YOU KNOW THEY'RE GOING OUT TONIGHT

TO GET THEIR BOMBAY ROCKS OFF

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THEY'VE GOT A KEROUAC CONDITION, GOT A COCAINE COUGH

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

STUDIO 54 IS THE ONLY PLACE TO DANCE

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

YOU KNOW THE GARDEN'S FULL OF FURNITURE, THE HOUSE IS FULL OF PLANTS

To all the Aussies that were around in the 70s.

Beautiful People, by Australian Crawl.

I SAID BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THEY RIDE TWO HUNDRED DOLLAR PUSHBIKES IN THE PARK

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

THEY WON'T ADMIT IT

BUT THEY MAKE LOVE IN THE DARK

:o

I wasn't an Aussie back in the 70s (nor am I now, I suppose). But I could relate to this song. It captures what I was feeling when I saw those stupid Segways. I'm just glad someone else out there understands.

bushfalls.jpg

Disney Land (or was it Disney World) banned them for use by customers even though they have staff that use them. Dunno what IT and the others fail to see in them. Yeah, bit funny when there is some apparently healthy youngster riding one. They (Disney) have been getting some negative press over the issue. Primarly from the people I describe below.

Many mobilely disabled are finding them fantastic. Not everyone that uses a wheelchair actually has to sit, they could stand, but no such technology was around to let them do that. They cannot however walk long distances. Many of those folks have found the Segway to be wonderful. Usually they go on about being able to talk to someone face to face, to see the world standing up, so to speak, where before it was always a lower perspective.

Same guy that invented the Segway has recently demonstrated a wheelchair that can do stairs and will extend up and balance on two wheels, allowing the rider to reach higher shelves in a store, or play catch (as was shown on a video of a one month trial). The few paraplegics using the test versions were extremely enthusiastic about them. Cost was a bunch of bucks .. 30k and I aint talking baht.

Cost for the Segway in around five grand as I remember. US dollars, not euro or yen or baht. I have one bad leg and can go nine or ten blocks but then that's it unless I rest for awhile. So they are sort of appealing to me. But I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Jeepz

• 1 month later...

I see there is alot of interest in my Segway rental business. First off, It is not an excercise device. I use mine for recreation and to replace car trips. I even have had people sitting in cars call me lazy. Whats with that?

The Segway Human Transporter was designed by a team of engineers in NH USA. It is actually a fun by-product of a revolutionary wheelchair that is self balancing and climbs stairs!

I use my Segway everday to run errands. From my office on Soi 4 Sukhumvit, I can go to Pantip Plaza, out to about Soi Ekami and as far as Immigration office and return on one charge. The equipment runs silent, is non polluting, takes no more space than a person walking, does not get stuck in traffic, parks anywhere, goes all day on 2 bht electricity and is alot of fun to ride. Did you know that the average car spped on Bangkok Rds is about 15 kph and the average distance a car travels is under 5 km? A Segway can replace 80% of these uneeded cars trips. Wouldn't it be better if everyone used a Segway instead of a car?

Thailand Segway Tours .Com is the first company in Asia providing historic/scenic guided rides using futuristic, Self-Balancing, Segway Human Transporters. Thailand Segway Tours is committed to providing an 'awesome experience' that brings together the past, present, and future of beautifull Thailand.

BANGKOK - Jeff Jarvis thinks Bangkok tourists can't see it all traveling by foot.

So in October of 2003, Jarvis employed 21st Century technology in a new guided Segway ride that will allow visitors to see Bangkok in high tech comfort.

Thailand Segway Tours will whisk sightseers around town on the battery powered Segway Human Transporters, two-wheeled, machines that look like a cross between a bicycle and a scooter that can travel up to 20 Kph. Anyone can do it !

Jarvis says his is the first Segway guided tour in Asia to use Segways, following the lead of a similar venture in Paris.

“90 minute Segway Rides depart our office every day at 8 am., at the end of Soi 4 / Sukhumvit. The Segway is easy to use and no special skills are required, most riders have complete control of the machine in under a minute.

We have had riders from age 9 to 90 . It’s easy, it’s safe, it’s fun !

The highlight of the tour includes beautiful side streets in areas dripping with history, viewing a Temple and Fresh Market.

Our goal is to make this experience one you'll remember for a lifetime.”

JeffJarvis

ThailandSegwayTours.Com

Tel.# 09 090 - 8199 / 02 255 - 8463

slightly off the segway topic... but similar..

if they got a licence to manufacture these

http://www.ecycle.com/powersports/hybrid.htm

and get rid of the two stroke machines

:o

Having looked at the description of the bike, it would never sell in Thailand - the acceleration is by electric motor - too quiet for the noisy bastards who drive around here - both eighteen-year-old Thai youths and fifty-five-year-old farang wannabee's.

But the girls would probably like it ....

I'm not associated with the Segway company nor am I selling Segways at this time. Just running a fun little rental business. I do know they are not for sale yet outside the US. They currently cost about $4,500 for the larger model and about $4,000 for the compact unit. The company does not ship internationally.

Bringing one here has a hefty luxury tax.

More info about the Segway Co. here: http://www.segway.com/

A fellow named Dean Kamen invented the self-balancing technology at a cost of over $100 million. Do a web search on him if your interested in learning more about an interesting man.

Jeff Jarvis

http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Guest IT Manager

Jeff PM'ed me about trying out a Segway.

My view is only based on the pictures I saw after I googled, and I thought (and I suppose still do), as I said in my post, that they "look dangerous", not if they were on a smooth street in LA but on the sidewalks (footpath is a bit of a joke in Thailand after all), of Thailand.

I have often considered the capacity of the blind and the halt to get around in the country, because even with my failing sight, seeing the pot holes that are a feature of the streets of Chiang Mai, that life must be quite miserable for them.

I suppose there are areas of Bangkok that I haven't seen (eg., soi Nana), where one of them would be OK, but it still "looks dangerous".

Perhaps Jeff can extend the discussion from Jeepz about mobility since I have friends in CM who are mobility disabled, who may be interested in either them or the wheelchair which I have also heard of. If they make ones' capacity to get about a little easier when one is partially incapacitated then good.

I don't have an issue, I should add, with the "smart young yuppy up and comers with the big bucks" whizzing about Lumpini on them, so long as it's safe for others around them. From a disabled persons view, if they are very controllable then perhaps they can sell here.

I have many elderly clients who are either too disabled for a stick but not disabled enough for a wheelchair, who may well see a value in them.

Jeff do you have any idea what the clever wheelchair thing costs please.

IT

IT,

You probably should take me up on the FREE Segway test ride at my office.

Only then can you really make informed comments here about safety etc.

The Segways performance has changed the minds of more than a few skeptics.

It's a high quality machine, built like a good power tool, that I expect will last for 20 years or more.

I agree that it is a bit dangerous to ride but walking around here isn't that safe either :o I pretty much stick to riding on the streets . When I do ride on sidewalks I go with the pace of the foot traffic and give pedestrians the right of way. I don't think its polite to go fast or swerve around people walking. On my Segway Tour, I stress Segway safety and ettiquete. Nobody rides on the tour untill they feel comfortable with the equipment (about 15 minutes practice) We start our ride at the gate of the Tobacco Monopoly where its very smooth gliding with little traffic. After practicing our riding style we proceed to a small Thai neighborhood viewing how Thai people live, visit a Temple and Fresh Market.

Pictures here: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/youngjarv...del%3as,1%3af,0

Speaking of disabled, my good friend Leonard Timm in Florida ,lost both legs years ago. Has a Segway with a custom seat. Gives him alot of freedom. He's been to Bangkok twice since November 2003. Takes his Segway to Chaing Mai too. Numerous folks I know with mobility problems have bought Segways and now have an active lifestyle with the grandkids etc.

If you know anyone that might benefit from this technology let them know I offer free demonstrations to see if the Segway is right for them.

Last summer I was fortunate to meet Dean Kamen and his development team. I got to try the new IBOT WHEELCHAIR. http://www.independencenow.com/ibot/index.html Pretty amazing. It can hop a sidewalk at full speed raise the rider up to eye level in balance mode and climb stairs. It even has a removable joystik control for remote loading into a van etc. Very cool. No more costly retrofitting your houshold with lower counters , ramps etc., the savings in construction costs alone make the $30,000 chair a deal Agreed?

I prefer the Honda Steed and even the Honda GL, but if you are really disabled then maybe you should check out the Honda DREAM 150 cc. that would be safer and at a better price than the SEGWAY,and even the Pres. of the USA fell off on a SEGWAY.

The only one that I can see that should be bragging up the safety and performance of the SEGWAY is the guy that stands to make a buck off the sales of the silly looking thing. :o

Guest chingy

dang 4 grand for the segway, holy cow that cost an arm and a leg, i love those seway, always wanted one since they first came out, you think if i meet up with you, you would let me try it.

"even the Pres. of the USA fell off on a SEGWAY."

Maybe he acted hastily without the proper information?

Was he drinking again?

Actually, he failed to follow instructions, the Segway was not turned on when he mounted. Without the gyros running it's like standing on a log.

Will not tip over when activated.

The senior G Bush and Barbara own several and use them regularly around their compound in Kennybunkport.

If you want to have an informed discussion then stop by for a free test ride.