Fears Allayed Over April Power Outage: Thailand

webfact

Fears allayed over April power outage
By Digital Media

BANGKOK, Feb 28 – PTT, Thailand’s state-owned oil and gas company, will boost its domestic production of natural gas and double the import of liquefied natural gas (LNG) in preparation for the expected power outage during the maintenance of a gas platform in Myanmar April 5-14, a leading Thai engineer said today.

Council of Engineers president Kamol Takkabutr reduced the Thai public's of power shortage during the suspension of natural gas supply from the Myanmar’s Yanada platform.

Assuring that Thailand will not be hit by power shortage, he said the government has negotiated with Laos and Myanmar to purchase additional power supply as well as increased the domestic production of hydro electricity.

Panu Suthirat, PTT vice president for natural gas supply, said the company has reserved oil to sufficiently substitute natural gas during the April 5-14 outage while import of LNG, normally at 70,000 tonnes per month will double in April to ensure adequate energy supply for electricity generating.

Mr Kamol said that he supported Energy Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisarn’s proposal to reduce natural gas for electricity production from 70 per cent to 45 per cent, and resort to other means such as coal- and hydro-powered electricity.

He disagreed however with suspending a nuclear power plant project which, according to a public opinion survey, is supported by 60 per cent of the people while 20 per cent objected to the construction of a nuclear power plant in their provinces.

The International Atomic Energy Agency was aware of the nuclear power plant project and instructed Thailand to map out strategy to foster understanding among the people, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-01

I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for more output via hydro, I live near a hydro-electric plant in NE Thailand.The lake is almost dry and power output has been reduced due to the low water levels.

Just get 1000 boats and push the water back into the lake whistling.gifcheesy.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

All this ass fanning and nonchalant dismissal of a looming problem tells me the exact opposite is more than likely true. I predict power outages on an epic scale. Call me cynical but these happy go lucky "Yay we've fixed it" warm fluffy news reports are designed to appease the blinkered and spoon fed masses.

The only foresight and planning you'll ever see here is what I think is happening right now. That is; various government bodies are setting the wheels in motion to facilitate the upcoming buck passing, re-distribution of blame and denial of any responsibility.

In short business as usual.

• Like 2

Does this mean we should all be panicking and start stocking up on candles, oil lamps, cold storage containers and gas bottles to boil water?

What areas of Thailand are expected to be the worst affected? Because as usual with these reports, it`s all, ifs, buts, maybes and unconvincing reassurances that the worst won`t happen.

Just read that in the Netherlands on average every household was without electricity 27 minutes over all of 2012.

It seems Thailand still has the opportunity to improve itself with some member suggesting that upcountry people got used to two or three days at a time

Just read that in the Netherlands on average every household was without electricity 27 minutes over all of 2012.

It seems Thailand still has the opportunity to improve itself with some member suggesting that upcountry people got used to two or three days at a time

Some years back a survey revealed that electricity consumers would happily pay an 10% on their bills for a "guaranteed" supply . Well, they're getting their price rises..........

I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for more output via hydro, I live near a hydro-electric plant in NE Thailand.The lake is almost dry and power output has been reduced due to the low water levels.

There's an old song, can't remember who recorded it but should be the anthem in Thailand " it's only words and words are all I have to steal your heart away "

There's an old song, can't remember who recorded it but should be the anthem in Thailand " it's only words and words are all I have to steal your heart away "

BeeGees. covered by Glen Campbell, Elvis, Rita Coolidge

• Like 1

Thanks who ever you are, the Alzheimer"s thing is getting to me, now I need to remember I'm demented. What was it i was supposed to remember ?

Thanks who ever you are, the Alzheimer"s thing is getting to me, now I need to remember I'm demented. What was it i was supposed to remember ?

Eat fresh coconut meat every day and your Alzheimers problem will most likely dissapear. If not it will certainly be improved.

Eat fresh coconut meat every day and your Alzheimers problem will most likely dissapear. If not it will certainly be improved.

Tom Hanks in Castaway also assured us that it is a natural laxative, if that helps.

• Like 1

I am really impressed with the speed and cooperation the various government agencies have put into solving???? this problem, after it was brought to the attention of the people/industry of Thailand,who depend on their elected officials are taking care of them as well as industry/manufactors.

OK, maybe my confidence level will not transfer to the ongoing problems of, flood, drought, rice, rubber, other farm products, baht, debt, transport, need for foreign investment/aid, etc that we are not being told about. But heck, I will always give an individual the benifit of the doubt. Just hope they remember that when you screw they majority of the voters, after' the something for nothing' (vote) you promised, the 'spin cycle' has to start all over again.

• 3 weeks later...