Do You Pay Tax In Thailand ?

MrWorldwide

Thailand. If you reside in Thailand for more than 180 days per year and have any income from Thailand - and it doesn't matter whether most of your income comes from another country since that's not liable for tax in Thailand - then you almost certainly will have had tax withheld at source before you receive it. So, for many people submitting a tax return will certainly return money to them due to their effective personal tax rate (on Thai income) is less than the rate of the tax that was withheld. ..

Hey there Time Traveller ... I'd like to explore your comments above further.

Actually, could be a whole new thread

When does the Thai tax year start and finish?

Does your 180 days have to be within one tax year?

What sort of Visa do you need to have to qualify as 'residing'?

I pay the standard 10% withholding tax and often stay in Thailand for more then 180 days in a year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand. If you reside in Thailand for more than 180 days per year and have any income from Thailand - and it doesn't matter whether most of your income comes from another country since that's not liable for tax in Thailand - then you almost certainly will have had tax withheld at source before you receive it. So, for many people submitting a tax return will certainly return money to them due to their effective personal tax rate (on Thai income) is less than the rate of the tax that was withheld. ..

Hey there Time Traveller ... I'd like to explore your comments above further.

Actually, could be a whole new thread

When does the Thai tax year start and finish?

Does your 180 days have to be within one tax year?

What sort of Visa do you need to have to qualify as 'residing'?

I pay the standard 10% withholding tax and often stay in Thailand for more then 180 days in a year.

The revenue department has all of the information and will provide more infomation either by phone on website or in person. The tax year is the calendar year. Yes it would need to be at least 180 days physically present in Thailand to be a resident for taxes purposes.

If you are talking about dividends from Thai stocks that you receive then the tax credits available to you are listed on the dividend statements.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

For someone on a foreign pension it is not REQUIRED that they file in Thailand, but if they have savings and investments in Thailand they may WANT to file...

As their banks and stock portfolios are automatically having taxes withheld on any gains.

So i their actual gains do not raise to the level that they are required to pay these taxes, then I they file in Thailand, then they can get all or some of the taxes that were withheld back as a PIT refund

If they don care and do not want this money back and prefer to donate it to the Thai tax man... Then no problem and no need to file

The Thai tax man is more than willing to keep any overpayment of taxes received ...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app