Making A Pond

mascarakatze

If you look hard enough you will find people with a lot of experience who sell the material who will assist you with installation. People who have been lining ponds for decades and know how to do it well.

If you look hard enough you will find people with a lot of experience who sell the material who will assist you with installation. People who have been lining ponds for decades and know how to do it well.

oh ok I'll look harder duh

For ideas and equipment I have used pondmarket.com.

I too have a pond that I am working on (25m Diameter x 4m deep) and haven't decided if I will line it with rock or an EPDM liner. I need to get an aeration source so still looking at either aerators or a water feature (Waterfall) or both. I did find a company in Khon Kaen who specialize in this type of project but they would probably not work out for you in the Chiangmai valley.

I once tried to buy these pond sheets in Chiang Mai, and you can`t. Nowhere.

If you use the ordinary black or transparent plastic sheeting, it releases toxins and poisons the fish.

So I had a cement pond built, total disaster. Dirt and leaves blowing in, frogs unable to escape and died, fish jumping out, almost impossible to keep clean, even with pond pumps and filters, electric pond pumps would eventually burn out and very expensive to run, none of the pond plants would survive long, and the cement kept cracking.

In the end I gave up and settled for a large indoor aquarium instead.

• Like 1

well, i built my first pond (4meters square) and did the black plastic liner from Kamthien... fish survived fine... no poisons or toxins leeched off and it worked kinda ok... did not like all the "wrinkles" in the lining and how it looked...

after a year or so, i created a leak in it while moving potted plants around, so we redug the pond, kept the same size but made it deeper and i did a concrete pond, then sealed with a good waterproofing product i was familiar with from the US... filled with water, letting it sit (draining and such weekly) for a month, then started running a filter (external) and slowly added plants and fish... it all worked out well, no leaks, no dead fish... am very happy with the finished product...

thru the whole process got advice from Shogun Farms... they did not recommend (or discourage) the waterproof coating... they just don't spend money that way and said i should put banana stalks in water for a month or two... other than that..their suggestions were all spot on.

We just dug a hole, cheap and cheerful. Naturally drains and filters and full of happy fish w/o going all Beverley Hillbillies. No frog problem, think the snakes keep them in check as the fish do the bugs, just let Mother nature do her thing because mother know's best!

• Like 1

Same as junglechef we just dug a hole but it was over a small spring so the large pond was full year round (we actually had an overflow discharging the surplus into the nearby klong).

Depending on the location of your pond you might want to consider an overflow even if it is only used during the the most extreme down pours.

• Like 1