Kitchen Gardening In Bkk: Please Help Getting Startedh

Hi All,

Back home in Ireland my Thai wife and I were reasonably accomplished at growing tomotaoes, onions, salad etc. Easy stuff grown in the ground and in grow bags etc. I'd like to do similar here, thinking that gorwing in large pots and containers is the best way to go. I live i nthe suburbs, so have a garden with a variety of full sun to full shade growing locations.

We'd like to grow tomato, onions, spring onions, chillies, cucumbers, etc..... easy, fast growing high yield crops. Mainly with a view to having healthy home grown foods, and having a bit of fun in the meantime. This is not a monetary based initiative at any level.

1. My first thoughts are that the "compost" that you buy at jatujak and various road side "garden centres" seems to be a poor growing medium. Any thoughts on this? Where could I get some "soil" that could be mixed with the compost.... or better "heavier" compost..... or some other general advice please on what you do to grow stuff in pots and containers.

2. Secondly, is there a "time of year" to grow stuff? Or can I start year round? I can germinate things under cover, indoors, in the dark, in full sun.... anywhere really.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I can supply you with composted manures and vermicompost and vermicastings as well as organic fertilisers and other stuff for soil amendment, drenches, teas and foliar products. All made on farm here. We can also provide seedlings with sufficient notice. The issue is getting it to you as I am in Isaan about 600 kms away. The freight cost is usually about the same as the product, ok for small amounts.

The basic problem is the stuff on sale is pretty hungry and not truely composted. Spent Mushroom compost and Coco fibre make up most of it. Soil in bags is also available, so if you have the time to mix it up you can get a reasonable growth media. You may even get better products if you check out the growing number of farmers markets in the city.

I would advise you establish raised beds if you are going to garden. Containers are fine if you can regulate the soil temperature and get enough moisture holding in the soil. Early or late wet season suits most things and during the "break in the wet" in July August. Shade cloth is always a good option here as well. Have a dig around in this subforum as there have been some growing charts posted before and there is some information on the web in English.

Growing European vegetables is harder than the local ones.

You may want to check into hydroponics which seems to be growing in Bangkok.

I can supply you with composted manures and vermicompost and vermicastings as well as organic fertilisers and other stuff for soil amendment, drenches, teas and foliar products. All made on farm here. We can also provide seedlings with sufficient notice. The issue is getting it to you as I am in Isaan about 600 kms away. The freight cost is usually about the same as the product, ok for small amounts.

The basic problem is the stuff on sale is pretty hungry and not truely composted. Spent Mushroom compost and Coco fibre make up most of it. Soil in bags is also available, so if you have the time to mix it up you can get a reasonable growth media. You may even get better products if you check out the growing number of farmers markets in the city.

I would advise you establish raised beds if you are going to garden. Containers are fine if you can regulate the soil temperature and get enough moisture holding in the soil. Early or late wet season suits most things and during the "break in the wet" in July August. Shade cloth is always a good option here as well. Have a dig around in this subforum as there have been some growing charts posted before and there is some information on the web in English.

Growing European vegetables is harder than the local ones.

You may want to check into hydroponics which seems to be growing in Bangkok.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the compost is light and fluffy as you describe. Getting it shipped down from Isaan is probably overkill but thanks for the offer. I guess I'll have to shop around further and see what I can find. Send the Mrs. on a mission at jatujak.

I'm just looking to grow local stuff. Local varieties of tomato and cucumber and salad and so on.

I might try a raised bed as you suggest. Is there going to be any kind of burrowing vermin that will worm it's way in?

Yeah, I sell 60 litres at 150 baht and the bus ride would add another 100, then you have to collect it. Gets expensive.

Keep the moisture level right and you shouldnt have a pest problem. Get the soil biology active and the fungal type issues should be lessened.

Yeah, I sell 60 litres at 150 baht and the bus ride would add another 100, then you have to collect it. Gets expensive.

Keep the moisture level right and you shouldnt have a pest problem. Get the soil biology active and the fungal type issues should be lessened.

250 baht for 60 litres would not be an issue at all - going to JJ bus station to collect it however would, since I work full time.

• 2 weeks later...

250 baht for 60 litres would not be an issue at all - going to JJ bus station to collect it however would, since I work full time.

Sleepless night, good opportunity to clear up a few late replies. The only other option I would have is to send it boxed by post. I have to bag some up for local nursery sale so I will check how much fits in the large post office box. If you are interested I can find out what the postage would be.

I send fertiliser pellets that way as they have a low moisture level. For compost I would suggest hammer milling to allow it to be packed tighter and then dried down to reduce the weight.

Edited by IsaanAussie