Why Thais Always Change There Phone Numbers?

Sandman77

You have to admit that we all love Sandman's posts. They are always good for a few laughs.

Has it occured to anyone that the reason Thai change their numbers frequently is they often lose their phone? Or, they upgrade to a newer one after giving their mother, brother, cousin or aunt their old one. One new wealthy farang sucker means new phones for everyone. The latest and greatest cel phone is what every Thai person needs... or wants.

Has it occured to anyone that the reason Thai change their numbers frequently is they often lose their phone?

Fact is, you can get the same number if you lose your phone. I've done it several times.

Good to know, Semper. Thanks. However, I don't lose my phone and don't drop it in the toilet or take it into the bath with me. I've got the same old Nokia phone that I've had for 8 years and it is still working well. The cheap copy I bought in Burma lasted about 2 weeks before it died of some strange malady called poor construction.

I change sim at least once a year, sometimes but not always with a new phone

Most recently last week; great opportunity to cull unwanted callers for just 50 baht.

A simple sms to the ones I want to keep

If you've tried calling me recently, and no response, take a hint.

Has it occured to anyone that the reason Thai change their numbers frequently is they often lose their phone?

Fact is, you can get the same number if you lose your phone. I've done it several times.

Did you have to pay for the new phone? Maybe some of OP friends might not be able to afford a new one after they lose the old one.

Did you have to pay for the new phone? Maybe some of OP friends might not be able to afford a new one after they lose the old one.

If they can't afford a new phone, why would they buy a new sim card? blink.png

I honestly don't think Thais change numbers as frequently as Sandman77's experiences indicate?

Pre-paid churn here is ~ 4% quarterly.

I think some people let the number expire, perhaps due to lack of funds? Others change because they are unhappy with the service, or want to take advantage of competitive packages/pricing/promotions.

Only about 25% of the port out/in requests are successful, so it may be easier to just get a new number if changing service providers? It is relatively easy to forward an old number to a new number.

The NBTC is pushing hard for service providers to remove any validity/expiration. But there is an approaching issue with a lack of numbers so not allowing service providers to re-issue long-dormant numbers may require additional prefixes, like the new 090 one.

If they can't afford a new phone, why would they buy a new sim card? blink.png

In reading the OP again, I am still under the impression that some of OP friends are not responding to his calls because the phone or phone number could be in other peoples hands - as OP is not sure what is happening. So I was not under the impression new phones or new sim cards are being bought by people who OP called friends ... it is simply not clear.