Sukhumbhand Re-Elected Bangkok Governor, Defeats Pongsapat In Major Upset

Lite Beer

Why does transliteration always make a mess of things? Did Thais transliterate his name, or was it farang? Transliteration (from Thai spellings to Roman letters) is to assist farang, it's not for Thais. The man's name, when taken from Thai spelling, is Sukumpen. How did the media get it as Sukhumbhand?

It's like the screw-up with Bkk's new airport's name, which should be transliterated as Suwanboom.

Incidentally, the re-elected gov's pet name (as he's referred to in Thai newspapers, at least) is 'Dear Pig.'

On a political note; this election result is a set back for the scoundrel-in-exile.

But ! the greatest scoundrel in Thai politics, Khun Suthep is not in exile yet.

• Like 1

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can vote they just have to register in BKK its that simple, nobody is stopping them. Just get added on a tabien baan

me and my thai wife are living in Bangkok, for rent, since 2006: she's from Hua Hin, can't' change the address on her ID card nor driving licence 'cause she do not own a house here (so, NO Tabien Baan);

we moved 5 times in the area between Ploenchit and Asoke, the rental contract was always in my name ('cause i need it for immigration office), the landlords always refused to add her name into the contract, which prevented her to can request to vote in town.

as i understood the favourite colour of thaivisa members and mods, i can foresee a reply as

there's a plenty of (yellow) landlords offering strangers (more likely red) to get added on their tabien baan

anyway, the whole matter is a clowning, despite the highest turnout for a gubernatorial election in the city's history, only 64% of Bangkok's 4.2 million eligible voters turned out... means 2.68 millions people voted for the governor of a city of 8.5 million (metro 14,6).

The last thing we want is this 'empowerment to women' - no more Thatchers please!!!!

SICHONSTEVE welcomes us all back to the 1800's.

Well done, that man!

A statement any Dem supporter would be proud of... substitute women for majority populace and it's actually their main political aim!

Seriously now ! What great things did he do for Bangkok the first term he had .

I think your question is best answered by the previous post... I'd expect more of the same!

that will mean, new villa's, mercs and mia nois

Why does transliteration always make a mess of things? Did Thais transliterate his name, or was it farang? Transliteration (from Thai spellings to Roman letters) is to assist farang, it's not for Thais. The man's name, when taken from Thai spelling, is Sukumpen. How did the media get it as Sukhumbhand?

It's like the screw-up with Bkk's new airport's name, which should be transliterated as Suwanboom.

Incidentally, the re-elected gov's pet name (as he's referred to in Thai newspapers, at least) is 'Dear Pig.'

On a political note; this election result is a set back for the scoundrel-in-exile.

I like these posts that start with ......but

Election for Thailand's capital sees defeat for Thaksin's party

Thailand's main opposition party won an election for the governor of Bangkok on Sunday, dealing a surprise blow to the ruling party of exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra which had hoped to win the city and cement its supremacy.

Incumbent governor and Democrat Party member Sukhumbhand Paribatra beat the candidate of Thaksin's Puea Thai Party, winning almost half the vote, the city administration said as the count neared completion.

Polls had shown Puea Thai leading by up to a nearly 17 percent margin. Thaksin, a graft-convicted telecoms tycoon, remains a powerful and popular political force from his home in self-exile in Dubai.

Continued:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/03/us-thailand-election-idUSBRE92206Q20130303

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2013-03-03

Bangkok Voters Reject Thaksin's Candidate

Supporters of ousted Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra failed in their attempt to win the governorship of Bangkok on Sunday after the incumbent Democrat Party candidate secured a second term, underscoring how Thailand's deep political divides continue to polarize one of Asia's most vibrant economies.

Continued:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324539404578338121491364606.html

Wall Street Journal - March 3, 2013

The last thing we want is this 'empowerment to women' - no more Thatchers please!!!!

Well done, that man!

A statement any Dem supporter would be proud of... substitute women for majority populace and it's actually their main political aim!

This is what Yingluck wants (empowerment for women) not something that I object to necessarily - having said that, women don't appear to be very good at it, as do black leaders by the way!!! Before anyone accuses me of racism I am probably the LEAST racist person on the planet. I am simply puttng my point of view on this particular stand point.

me and my thai wife are living in Bangkok, for rent, since 2006: she's from Hua Hin, can't' change the address on her ID card nor driving licence 'cause she do not own a house here (so, NO Tabien Baan);

we moved 5 times in the area between Ploenchit and Asoke, the rental contract was always in my name ('cause i need it for immigration office), the landlords always refused to add her name into the contract, which prevented her to can request to vote in town.

You don't need a rental contract for immigration. I have never had a landlord refuse my name, my girl friend's name or a combination of either on the contract. Besides that, I don't believe a rental contract allows you to vote in a town.

You don't need a rental contract for immigration. I have never had a landlord refuse my name, my girl friend's name or a combination of either on the contract. Besides that, I don't believe a rental contract allows you to vote in a town.

On the immigration issue - no rental contract for a non-B (just for the premises, which can easily be your accountant or someone) but I have no idea for the non-O.

Correct on the vote issue. Not sure about Bangkok (because it's arranged in Khets instead of Amphoes), but generally you can go to your local Amphoe district office with your old ID card and get a new one in that Amphoe quite easily. This wasn't always the case - I think it changed about 7-8 years ago.

Well done, that man!

This is what Yingluck wants (empowerment for women) not something that I object to necessarily - having said that, women don't appear to be very good at it, as do black leaders by the way!!! Before anyone accuses me of racism I am probably the LEAST racist person on the planet. I am simply puttng my point of view on this particular stand point.

Says SICHONSTEVE, as he manages to insert the second foot, before bothering to remove the first from his mouth. clap2.gif

• Like 1

Nope it does not the name needs to be added too the tabien baan. But im sure red shirts will help each other they just cant be bothered to make the effort.

Sukhumbhand Re-Elected Bangkok Governor,Defeats Pongsapat In Major Upset

My Thai friend who wanted number 11 to win told me this guy was going to win last Wednesday.

Her opinion was guy is so connected he couldn't lose. So I wonder who the pollsters spoke to.

Someone better call Dubai and tell him "300 Baht isn't enough boss."

a relative of mine has invited me for a nice cool belgian beer paid for by the 1.000 baht she received ...and still voted for bluetongue.png

Belgian beers are the best.

(just to let you know)

• Like 1

He's not a coward like Thaksin or Kamnan Po.

• Like 1

Someone better call Dubai and tell him "300 Baht isn't enough boss."

a relative of mine has invited me for a nice cool belgian beer paid for by the 1.000 baht she received ...and still voted for bluetongue.png

Belgian beers are the best.

(just to let you know)

you obviously think YOU're the experttongue.png

He's not a coward like Thaksin or Kamnan Po.

Well that's just cool then, given your assertion of Suthep's bravery he should be free to plunder Thailand as he sees fit. Only those that Siripon deems cowards should be held accountable for their actions...coffee1.gif

I just hope he can do some simple things...such as improve the sidewalks, enforce crazy drivers (oops, that is the police department) - what "power" will he have?

He has shown to have the power of the people, to stand up to a government which appears bent on spending money on crack downs and rice subsidies. He has at least drawn serious amounts of attention to the populous of Bangkok as to the need to protect their city from flooding, although from what I gather he has been held back by government funding.

The next time Bangkok floods, do not blame this man - I can say he has done his best, far better than half of those up country jao por governors (e.g. the crowd in Chiang Mai) who only survive because they inherited heaven on earth and it will take time to muddy the water.. They are doing their best with all of those unexplained deaths, some in hotels owned by their own families.. no such thing has at least been publicized in Bangkok recently, a city massively more populous.

He voiced recently that he would like to operate as an unaffiliated governor, neither tied to the Democrats nor the PTP - I hope he sticks to this, and continues to do his job and question the government, holding them accountable for their failures and attempt to improve on any successes they may experience in the future.

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 2

Bangkok Governor Elections

2009 4,150,103 voters, 2,120,721 votes cast
1. MR Sukhumbhant	Dems		934,602		45.47%
2. Yuranun P.		PT		611,669		29.72%
3. ML Nattakorn		Indep.		334,846		16.17%
4. Kaewsan A.		Team KTP	144,779		7.03%

2013 4,244,465 voters, 2,715,640 votes cast (63.98%)
1. MR Sukhumbhant	Dems		1,256,231	46.25
2. Pongsapat P.		PT		1,077,899	39.63
3. Seripisut T.		Indep.		166,582		6.13
4. Suharit S.		Indep.		78,825		2.90
All data on 2013 preliminary (of course)

So! Landslide confirmed for the Democrats thenwhistling.gif

One thing it does show is that there are still over a million duped/gullible idiots in Bangkok if they think that PTP are capable politicians, this is despite the fact their experience in politics is 'next to nothing' mostly - just look at Yingluck!!!

Actually Thatcher,made the statement "I owe nothing to Womens Lib"

But she did ensure 10s of thousand of young pregnant women,went to the top of the housing list,and thus straight onto benefits!

hahahaha... and now that he's lost the election, Police General Dr. Pongsapat wants to return to his previous job be Deputy National Police Chief.

He said he will discuss it with Yingluck when she returns from wherever her latest boondoggle out of the country took her.

His two-month political career has ended apparently. The grand experiment failed.

• Like 1

sheesh... and now the Police Commission has said that the former policeman Police General Dr. Pongsapat, who resigned from the police force just six weeks ago, is welcome to return the force.

Worth noting that responsible Commander of the Office of Police Commission, who made the offer, is junior to Police General Dr. Pongsapat.

Edited by Buchholz

sheesh... and now the Police Commission has said that the former policeman Police General Dr. Pongsapat, who resigned from the police force just six weeks ago, is welcome to return the force.

Worth noting that responsible Commander of the Office of Police Commission, who made the offer, is junior to Police General Dr. Pongsapat.

Way to go. Could he be persuaded to take Chalerm back?

Way to go. Could he be persuaded to take Chalerm back?

How much money is involved and how much ear medicine is involved?

Pollsters predicted a 17% win margin for the PT candidate, and the Dem candidate won by 7%. That's a 24% error !

We already know that Thais are science-challenged (though tops in believing in ghosts and hocus pocus), ....but a 24% margin should send those pollsters scurrying for a different line of work. Surely Bkk could use some additional street sweepers.

My personal theory; Yingluck's clone convinced her that projections of a big victory for their side - would help sway voters to their side (everyone likes to side with a winner) - so they were able to sway the pollsters to their plan.