Rum

phuketsub

I have acquired a taste for Havana Club rum from Cuba, but the only place I know that sells it is the Supercheap minimart in Phuket Town, where it's 650 baht/bottle. I know minimarts tend to be a ripoff where alcohol is concerned. Does anyone know of a place that sells it more cheaply?

Any other useful rum-related info also welcome.

post-40708-0-10169500-1362373553_thumb.j

Prom Phan supermarket on Chao Fah West road.

Is that the shop just past the PPT service station heading north on Chaofa west road

No. It's on Chao Fa West on the left a few blocks before Central. There's a Pharmacy sign then a Johnny Walker sign. Oh and road safety pylons in the middle of the road to prevent turns.

No.....it's the supermarket that is on the left-hand side going to Central Festival just pass that big ware-house like shop that is called House and Home, or something like that. It has a Vet next to it.

Edited by KarenBravo

No.....it's the supermarket that is on the left-hand side going to Central Festival just pass that big ware-house like shop that is called House and Home, or something like that. It has a Vet next to it.

every mom and pop shop,or decent spirit suppliers will stock this,it's a very common drink

PST

The price of Havana Club has gone up quite a bit in the past year. I used to buy the 3 year old at Prompan for 550 Baht, it's now 680! At my local liquor outlet it's 730 Baht now!

Edited by Jimi007

Prom Phan supermarket on Chao Fah West road.

Is that the shop just past the PPT service station heading north on Chaofa west road

No. It's on Chao Fa West on the left a few blocks before Central. There's a Pharmacy sign then a Johnny Walker sign. Oh and road safety pylons in the middle of the road to prevent turns.

Thanks i know the shop, the johnny Walker sign has been removed

Thanks for all your comments. I went back into the aforementioned
SuperCheap this afternoon and I am afraid I have to admit my original
post has some misinformation. It only cost 575 baht there, which I guess
is quite reasonable.

While I was in there I noticed a sign in Thai that sort of blew me away. The SuperCheap on Surin Road is now offering accommodations. It's true. You can live at Supercheap, or just above it, for 2,000 baht/month.

Anyway, the attached pic has the phone number if anyone is at or nearing rock bottom.

post-40708-0-94442000-1362401319_thumb.j

If you drink enough rum, you just might need that option.........

If I overdo it, I'll need to stop completely...and that would be a more miserable existence than living at SuperCheap!

Thanks for all your comments. I went back into the aforementioned

SuperCheap this afternoon and I am afraid I have to admit my original

post has some misinformation. It only cost 575 baht there, which I guess

is quite reasonable.

While I was in there I noticed a sign in Thai that sort of blew me away. The SuperCheap on Surin Road is now offering accommodations. It's true. You can live at Supercheap, or just above it, for 2,000 baht/month.

Anyway, the attached pic has the phone number if anyone is at or nearing rock bottom.

฿575 isn't that great of price for the the one year old version that you pictured in your OP. It is a good price for the 3 year old. The 9 year old is up to about ฿1,100 now.

I was a long time Bacardi drinker back in farangland, but it's horrible here. I drink it straight, no ice or mixers, and normally it, and rum in general, is sweet. But the Bacardi here comes from India, and has a used sweat socks kinda taste to it. Not easy (or even worth it) to get used to.

So I've been drinking the Sang Som lately. It's okay tasting if you drink it straight, and actually mixes well with Coke. But as it's not exactly a 'refined' liquor, and it kicks your ass big time if you drink too much of it. Fortunately, the days of drinking too much of anything are well behind me now! But for the price, which I think is around ฿260 a bottle, it's not too bad taste-wise. (ymmv of course... )

I've tried the Havana Club before, and I wasn't overly impressed with it. Maybe I got the cheaper stuff, which I didn't know there were different variations as Jimi says, and that's why. And I've tried the Captain Morgan, and even the Bunderburg rum, and none of them impressed me either. For bang for the baht I'll stick with Sang Som for now, at least until I find something better tasting.

Uncle Tom...I detect a hint of racial overtone! Anyway, will give it a go. Sang Som is out of the question for me. It makes me break out in red splotches -- the last thing I need...I know of a few others who get the same effect.

Thought I had a bottle labelled Similan Rum, but rummaging through the liquor cupboard apart from Bacardi I only found Seabird Rum, is it any good?

When I used to have a bar, once when I was absent for a few days, my staff bought and served a type of gin which was called Harpoon. Months later some British expats who had been drinking at my bar one night during that period still complained about the terrible hangover that stuff gave them. They were harpooned....

Edited by keestha

I came up with a new killer drink yesterday involving rum and coffee ice cubes, the key being the coffee ice cubes.

I just made the coffee ice cubes on a whim when I saw an empty ice-cube tray sitting next to my coffee-filled french press machine.

After you make the cubes, just pour a high-quality rum over the cubes.

If you keep the rum in the freezer too, the end result is the coolest drink (it is indeed superchilled) and the coffee in the cubes give it a kick not unlike Vodka/RedBull, but it's much nicer on the palate.

I had never heard of coffee ice cubes before, but there are some references to them on the Net.

If anyone gives it a go, please let me know what you think.

Now both of these are great drinks! I will start lookin in enrset

Give it a shot! (literally)...On the topic of rum, does anyone have a copy of the book The Rum Diaries?

Everyone keeps telling me it is a must read...

Now both of these are great drinks! I will start lookin in enrset

Give it a shot! (literally)...On the topic of rum, does anyone have a copy of the book The Rum Diaries?

Everyone keeps telling me it is a must read...

Its not bad, but the movie was aweful! I have a few Hunter books