Pattaya Drink Prices - Too High!

BoonToong

Just came back from a entertaining and enjoyable weekend in Pattaya (2 days is always enough for me!) with my wife.

Last night when wandering along second road (in the area just South of Central Festival), we got caught in the rain so sat at one of the many Bar Beer in that area. I ordered my usual, Vodka Red Bull.

The girl poured me a vodka (didn't see which brand) and topped up the glass with ice and M-150.

Price? 180 Baht. I nearly fell off my chair! This was a regular, no frills, bar with no live music.

My point is; that is way, way too expensive in my opinion. I know that the owners have bills, taxes, tea money, protection payments etc to make but that is still way to high. I cannot see how that can be sustainable if they want customers to return

What are other people seeing? Do you think this is sustainable? What will happen in the longer term?

Edited by BoonToong
  • Like 1

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless it was some posh bar it sounds little high.

In many bars on walking street as in clubs not beer bars price is around 180

Beer bar should be no more than 150

But just like with everything else less customers - higher prices

Where do u live in Thailand,and have u paid much less???

SOunds over the top but not extreme,Pattaya aint cheap unless u know where to go

We live in BKK. Typically, the same drink in Nana or Cowboy would be 120 Baht, even inside the GoGo bars!

Edited by BoonToong

Where do u live in Thailand,and have u paid much less???

SOunds over the top but not extreme,Pattaya aint cheap unless u know where to go

We live in BKK. Typically, the same drink in Nana or Cowboy would be 120 Baht, even inside the GoGo bars!

This is what happens when u go hi-so in Pattaya lol

Do the "Russian-style" approach. Go to Seven Eleven to get your alcohol then drink it along the beach prominade or while you're walking.

Actually I don't drink (coke, soda etc) but last week was in a bar at the top of Soi 6 (one back from the Corner)and while sitting with a lovely lass purchased a lady drink.

Came to pay and my bill for soda and LD was 230 baht (160 for LD and 70 for soda).

Of course you must pay otherwise problems, but these prices are just taking the piss. No wonder some of these places are empty.

Of course I won't go back (unless it's straight upstairs), but many owners (thai or falang) don't seem to care about repeat business.

Edited by thainet

Do the "Russian-style" approach. Go to Seven Eleven to get your alcohol then drink it along the beach prominade or while you're walking.

Actually I don't drink (coke, soda etc) but last week was in a bar at the top of Soi 6 (one back from the Corner)and while sitting with a lovely lass purchased a lady drink.

Came to pay and my bill for soda and LD was 230 baht (160 for LD and 70 for soda).

Of course you must pay otherwise problems, but these prices are just taking the piss. No wonder some of these places are empty.

Of course I won't go back (unless it's straight upstairs), but many owners (thai or falang) don't seem to care about repeat business.

You do understand the concept of LD, do not you?!

There reason it is "expansive" because "lady" gets 50-70 baht of it., though personally i do not consider 160 baht to be expansive for a drink, certainly not cheap but surely not outrages

PS, What do you find so outrages about soda being 70 baht?

• Like 1

There reason it is "expansive" because "lady" gets 50-70 baht of it., though personally i do not consider 160 baht to be expansive for a drink, certainly not cheap but surely not outrages

Oooooooh, l go all goose bumpy when a Hi-So talks here. giggle.gif

• Like 2

Oooooooh, l go all goose bumpy when a Hi-So talks here. giggle.gif

and i thought you were not that easy to excitetongue.png

Hardly Pattaya is too expensive just that you got stung by the separate mixer, spirit crap that some bars pull.

A lot of Thai owned bars on walking St do it also.

So, in your experience, how can one avoid the separate mixer/spirit 'sting' (!!!)

Hardly Pattaya is too expensive just that you got stung by the separate mixer, spirit crap that some bars pull.

Dave (and Lemoncake), I have been here 40 years and have purchased a shitpot full of LD's in that time--not a novice and so of course understand the practice especially in high rent areas such as walking str, but in Soi 6 this I believe is over the top especially since a huge % of the patrons are British guys who will be living on a pension at an exchange rate of 43/44 baht/pound soon. By the way I wasn't complaining about the soda price. Also the lady in question gets only 30 baht per drink.

Also I do understand the expensive Wine Cooler/bacardi breeze lady drink, but this wasn't the case.

So to end I was answering the OP with one of my own experiences in one SOI 6 bar and giving my own thoughts. (Sorry I was so EXPANSIVE Lemoncake).

Also I must say that many other bars on Soi 6 charge in accordance with some of the other charges on Soi 6.

• Like 1

Many bars in Pattaya where you can drink cheap, 45baht for a beer 35 baht for a thai whiskey, you just need to know the right places to drink, and most of these bars are thai run and sell always busy.

Many bars in Pattaya where you can drink cheap, 45baht for a beer 35 baht for a thai whiskey, you just need to know the right places to drink, and most of these bars are thai run and sell always busy.

So where are they please?

And does it rain in those areas too? wink.png

Friday night I visited Soi Cowboy in Bangkok and stopped at a bar on the left side of Soi CB on the very south end as you are heading south. They had a limited buffet for 200 baht if you bought a beer. I was hungry so I ordered a Leo and got my food. When I got my check, the beer was 160 baht. Never again. $5.50 for a Leo is absurd and I will never do business at this bar again. Even if I'm starving to death. I guess it's my fault to a point because I never asked the price of a beer. I ASSumed it would be about 120 baht.

Friday night I visited Soi Cowboy in Bangkok and stopped at a bar on the left side of Soi CB on the very south end as you are heading south. They had a limited buffet for 200 baht if you bought a beer. I was hungry so I ordered a Leo and got my food. When I got my check, the beer was 160 baht. Never again. $5.50 for a Leo is absurd and I will never do business at this bar again. Even if I'm starving to death. I guess it's my fault to a point because I never asked the price of a beer. I ASSumed it would be about 120 baht.

I think you've hit the nail on the head on how to get around this Patekatek.......

If we ask the price first, we then have the choice to pay it or walk away; but it's just a pain in the ass having to ask all the time (and I don't just mean in Katoey bars).

I agree with a lot of the other posts though; it's just taking the p*ss

Edited by BoonToong

The bar girl mafia are really milking Cowboy now. Girls order double tequila's and one for their friends. Recently I had three bars hit me, for a beer and two lady drinks cost me 680 Baht. The trick is they hate tequila so they order a tequila and a coke lady drink and that is how you get slammed. And i have been here more than a decade. So now I give the bar girl 100 Baht and tell her no drinks and it's fine. Of course if you want to negotiate for the horizontal folk dancing that is a whole new story.

Edited by Locationthailand

Dave (and Lemoncake), I have been here 40 years and have purchased a shitpot full of LD's in that time--not a novice and so of course understand the practice especially in high rent areas such as walking str, but in Soi 6 this I believe is over the top especially since a huge % of the patrons are British guys who will be living on a pension at an exchange rate of 43/44 baht/pound soon. By the way I wasn't complaining about the soda price. Also the lady in question gets only 30 baht per drink.

Also I do understand the expensive Wine Cooler/bacardi breeze lady drink, but this wasn't the case.

So to end I was answering the OP with one of my own experiences in one SOI 6 bar and giving my own thoughts. (Sorry I was so EXPANSIVE Lemoncake).

Also I must say that many other bars on Soi 6 charge in accordance with some of the other charges on Soi 6.

If you have been here for 40 years, for starters you should have known the prices by now

Secondly you should know that soi 6 is NOT an area "frequented" by the retired pensioners living on the pension, but rather tourists and tied up guys.

Thirdly if you were not complaining about the soda prices? then what were you complaining about? LD price?

While rents on soi 6 are cheaper than Walking street, their monthly "donations" are not.

Personally if i know the price of a drink is expensive for me, i do not go into that bar.

Also personally, i been here for only 10 and i do not go to soi 6 at all and no i am not married.

my wife has a restaurant/bar just outside of pattaya she sells all small bottled drinks... ie san mig chang tiger etc etc at 55 baht each big leo at 65 baht wine from 80 by the glass she makes a handsome profit on day time opening only so why why why do these bars rip people off there is no need !!!!!

Because this people pay double if not triple the rent, plus monthly donations, plus a number of staff

How does she make a handsome profit when cost of san mig is 38-39 baht

• Like 1

If you have been here for 40 years, for starters you should have known the prices by now

Secondly you should know that soi 6 is NOT an area "frequented" by the retired pensioners living on the pension, but rather tourists and tied up guys.

Thirdly if you were not complaining about the soda prices? then what were you complaining about? LD price?

While rents on soi 6 are cheaper than Walking street, their monthly "donations" are not.

Personally if i know the price of a drink is expensive for me, i do not go into that bar.

Also personally, i been here for only 10 and i do not go to soi 6 at all and no i am not married.

Thank you Lemon.

I must go with Transam on this---I also have goosebumps reading your answers.

Maybe you shld have an afternoon in Soi 6, just to bring you back to the same level as the rest of us.

That said I did make one mistake in including the word 'pension'. Mean't exchange rate for the majority of this streets patrons is getting lower by the day.

Also you are missing the point of my post--I didn't say the drinks were to expensive for me (money for me is not an issue), I said they were way overpriced for that particular area. Enuff said...

my wife has a restaurant/bar just outside of pattaya she sells all small bottled drinks... ie san mig chang tiger etc etc at 55 baht each big leo at 65 baht wine from 80 by the glass she makes a handsome profit on day time opening only so why why why do these bars rip people off there is no need !!!!!

she pays 34 for sam mig and sells it at 55 hence profit of 21 baht

Thank you Lemon.

I must go with Transam on this---I also have goosebumps reading your answers.

Maybe you shld have an afternoon in Soi 6, just to bring you back to the same level as the rest of us.

That said I did make one mistake in including the word 'pension'. Mean't exchange rate for the majority of this streets patrons is getting lower by the day.

Also you are missing the point of my post--I didn't say the drinks were to expensive for me (money for me is not an issue), I said they were way overpriced for that particular area. Enuff said...

After 40 years you still under the impression that soi 6 is for drinkingrolleyes.gif , you right Enuff said.

You now say its over priced in comparison to where? a bar on the dark side in the back street? or Walking street? or where exactly?

Also can you please explain why exchange rate for UK guests should be of concern to Thailand or bar owners? Do you believe that prices and costs should be adjusted according to GBR exchange rates?

OP had a drink in a beer bar with no entertainment at all, and you comparing price of what he had to price for LD in the biggest brothel of a street in Thailand?

she pays 34 for sam mig and sells it at 55 hence profit of 21 baht

I would like to know where she gets it for 34, i get mine direct from San Mig and i pay 890 per box, in Macro its 895 per box, so where does she buy for 816?