Ministers Urged To Wear Only Thai Fabric

webfact

Wow, looks like the Cultural minister is only doing his job...

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

"The Cultural Mandates or State Decrees (Thai: รัฐนิยม; RTGS: ratthaniyom; literally 'State fashion' or 'State customs') were a series of 12 edicts issued between 1939 and 1942 by the government of Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsonggram during his first period as Prime Minister and military dictator of Thailand."

And lo and behold, here is Mandate number 5.

"Thai people should make an effort to wear only clothes made from Thai products".

So with a slow day at the office, the minister looks up an edict from a military dictator in 1940, and re-issues it...... Hmmmmm. If I was Yingluck I would send an internal memo telling the " Culture" ministry to NEVER EVER make any public

statements. :-) :-)

I personally like edict number 2.....

""When a person has betrayed the nation, it is the duty of Thai people to actively and quickly put a stop to it."

Hmmm I wonder who that would apply to.

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

This is a good idea. Similarly Europeans and the USA should ban any products made in Thailand. Help put some of those jobless back to work in struggling economies. It would also help western economies if Thai food was prohibited - If the restaurants don't use vegetables and fruits from the USA, Spain, Italy and France, they should be run out of town.

The Thais are not targeting US and EU imports.For example, I suggest you look at the Thai cotton production. It fell off. There is no price support for the Thai cotton igrowers. Australian cotton imports undercut the US exporters. The lower transport costs from Australia helped. Cotton, linen and light silks are excellent for the Thai climate. Unfortunately, the Thai textile industry is in love with synthetics like polyester, acrylic and polyamides which are some of the worst fabrics to wear in a sweat inducing environment. Thai silk is heavy duty and stands up well, but it is a heavy fabric and is not ideal for a suit or a light dress. . I can toss my Thai silk shirts in the washer with no problem. They last. On the other hand my crappy silk boxers disintegrated. They looked cool, but they were chinese silk which was thinner and not as strong as Thai silk.

Yes, this man sounds like a fool, but the desire to support the local textile and garment industry isn't such a bad idea. Unfortunately, the industry needs to refocus its production and stop trying to compete with the Chinese on the low end garment sector.

It's a difficult problem. If you get your citizens using only products and materials from their own country then it's difficult to suggest that other countries buy things from you. It can work if two countries have differing products that they produce well and are needed in their partner countries. If for instance one country produces silk and the other cotton then there isn't a problem although of course it's rarely that simple as there are many countries to take into account.

The problem here of course is that the rich will buy the western clothes and cars and the rest will buy the cheaper items. The best that could be hoped for is that maybe they will buy cheap Thai rather than cheap Chinese.

Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends.......sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.

Henry David Thoreau

pity that most politicians don't have any (thoughts that is)

Perhaps..........sell your mother and keep the money may be more appropriate.

This is a good idea. Similarly Europeans and the USA should ban any products made in Thailand. Help put some of those jobless back to work in struggling economies. It would also help western economies if Thai food was prohibited - If the restaurants don't use vegetables and fruits from the USA, Spain, Italy and France, they should be run out of town.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Thai restaurants in the US were unable to use Thai produce as it wasn't good enough. I think it may have been to do with not being safe.

And; The Transport Minister has asked that all cabinet ministers be issued with Thai made bicycles in order that they may ride to work in order to save energy.

A problem has arisen however with cabinet ministers posing the question "What is work"

Take a wild guess who will chose this one:

$T2eC16hHJGIE9nnWsyjzBQWUHspeQw~~60_58.J

• Like 2

attachicon.gifburmans.jpg

Maybe the Thais should get back to a more traditional style and leave the Prada, Versace, Armani and D & G in the closet.

Is that the real or fake Prada, Versace, Armani and D & G you're talking about?

No,no, the real thing of course, as sold in Pratunam and other fashion Meccas. No fakes here I'm told.