Record 259 Nominees For This Year's Nobel Peace Prize

News_Editor

<p> Record 259 nominees for this year's Nobel Peace Prize </p>< br />

<p>2013-03-05 09:06:51 GMT+7 (ICT) </p><br /> <p>OSLO, NORWAY (BNO NEWS) -- More than 250 individuals and organizations have been nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize, surpassing the previous record, the Norwegian Nobel Committee announced on Monday. Among those nominated are a Pakistani teenager and leaders from Colombia and Myanmar (Burma).<br /></p><br /><p>The Committee said it received valid nominations for 209 individuals and 50 organizations for this year's peace prize, which will be announced in October. The list of candidates is kept secret for 50 years and the committee does not comment on possible names, but those who are eligible to nominate candidates sometimes reveal their choices.<br /></p><br /><p>Among those nominated is a 15-year-old Pakistani girl who made headlines in October 2012 after she was shot in the head by Taliban gunmen for advocating for girls' education and criticizing the militant group. The girl, Malala Yousafzai, was on her way home from school when the attack happened.<br /></p><br /><p>U.S. Army private Bradley Manning, who has admitted to sending classified material to whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks, is also among the candidates. Others on the list include Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos for his efforts to end the ongoing conflict with FARC guerrillas, Myanma (Burmese) President Thein Sein for putting the country on a path to democracy, and former U.S. President Bill Clinton for his charitable work.<br /></p><br /><p>The 259 candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize this year surpasses the previous record of 247 nominations in 2011. There were 231 valid nominations for last year's peace prize, which was won by the European Union for its contribution to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe.<br /></p> <p> tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-03-05 </p>

With so many nominees, you'd think peace was breaking out all over the place! blink.png

That was the cynical me.

The intellectual me says that whenever i clean out my garage, I'm amaze at the mess i see when i first flick on the garage light.

I think the developed world maybe turning on the lights to places it hasn't looked at in a long time

and the people in those places has access to information via the web and more are encouraged to take a stand

The cost of freedom isn't free and freedom isn't given, its earned.

Kudos to all the nominees.wai.gif

with one exception.

As far as i am concerned, U.S. Army private Bradley Manning committed treason. Being from a military family, a poor military family at that, i cannot express how much i loath this person.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

You probably cry all day about big government taking away from you everything, and committing all sorts of crime, but when a man stands up and makes a small part of it public, he's a traitor against the very same government. I don't think the intellectual you is able to grasp the dilemma.

You probably cry all day about big government taking away from you everything, and committing all sorts of crime, but when a man stands up and makes a small part of it public, he's a traitor against the very same government. I don't think the intellectual you is able to grasp the dilemma.

Private Manning indirectly and unwittingly put many clandestine agents in harm's way. His actions also compel diplomats to act much more secretively - which results in messages simply not getting delivered (because worries about security breaches are at a higher level). In the big picture of things, Wikileaks may prove to have harmed world peace efforts more than helped.

• Like 2

The intellectual "me" isn't able to justify a man committing treason against his own government and brothers in arms..

You apparently can justify that act.

• Like 1

Every man has an intellectual side.......some less than otherswhistling.gif

I don't cry about my country. I love it. I do what i can by trying to make it better. I do my best and move on.

But i don't put my fellow citizens, my fellow comrades intentionally in danger.

He has the right to stand up, commit treason, and be judged for it.

Peace Prize or not, He is a disgrace to the uniform and I hope they throw him in a hole and forget he's there.

In the big picture of things, Wikileaks may prove to have harmed world peace efforts more than helped.

I doubt it. But it has embarrassed a few individuals who deserve it. I just wish they'd get hold of details of Sepp Blatter's private finances.

The intellectual "me" isn't able to justify a man committing treason against his own government and brothers in arms..

You apparently can justify that act.

Yeah, but I won't bother telling you how and why. Now go and get some guns to protect yourself against the tyrannical government of yours.

This being Sweden ,it's a fair bet it will go to the most PC case with a 'heart warming','glimmer of hope' kinda message to go with it.

I think the Pakistani girl fulfils those criteria..

...but wait....!

It might be perceived as an Islamophobic award....!

...and they ain't got the cojones for that...

All bets are off..

Actually the peace prize is awarded in Norway.

I'd kill for the Nobel peace prize.

A crusty old broad reporter for the Independent, now a Dame believe it or not, told on the BBC of how years ago, when she was waiting in line at the copy place on Khao San Rd, to pick up her false credentials to Myanmar/Burma, the Indian guy in front of her struck up a conversation in English. The gal said when the Indian guy got to the window, money in hand, he was given the Nobel Peace Prize to take back home with him to wow all his family, relatives and other villagers.

I'd say only in Thailand but to be fair to the former LOS, the guy buying the prize was Indian.wai.gif

A crusty old broad reporter for the Independent, now a Dame believe it or not, told on the BBC of how years ago, when she was waiting in line at the copy place on Khao San Rd, to pick up her false credentials to Myanmar/Burma, the Indian guy in front of her struck up a conversation in English. The gal said when the Indian guy got to the window, money in hand, he was given the Nobel Peace Prize to take back home with him to wow all his family, relatives and other villagers.

I'd say only in Thailand but to be fair to the former LOS, the guy buying the prize was Indian.wai.gif

Was his name Ghandi, by any chance?

As we've puzzled over for a long time, Ghandi was a pacifist so he never got the Nobel Peace Prize. goof.gif

I think one has to be in a slugfest to get the Peace Prize, Yasir Arafat, Northern Ireland and all of that. blink.png

Edited by Publicus

As we've puzzled over for a long time, Ghandi was a pacifist so he never got the Nobel Peace Prize. goof.gif

I think one has to be in a slugfest to get the Peace Prize, Yasir Arafat, Northern Ireland and all of that. blink.png

right, and Kissinger -the top banana who ok'd bombing of Laotian villages and prolonged the Vietnam war.

This being Sweden ,it's a fair bet it will go to the most PC case with a 'heart warming','glimmer of hope' kinda message to go with it.

I think the Pakistani girl fulfils those criteria..

...but wait....!

It might be perceived as an Islamophobic award....!

...and they ain't got the cojones for that...

All bets are off..

Actually the peace prize is awarded in Norway.

An understandable mistake though as both are neck and neck in the cultural lemming stakes.

Ghandi didn't get it probably because the Scandinavian prudes were afraid he would show up half naked for the award. :(