Could My Boyfriend Find A Job In Thailand?

ragamuffin

He's an IT Consultant for an international company from Japan, currently working in Munich.

Why would he want to work in Thailand? He's probably making more money in Munich than in Thailand.

Because it's not all about the money?

And you're moving to Thailand? How counter-culture can you get????

I know what Thailand is like and I still don't roam around Paragon to show off my latest designer bag. If it was for the income alone we would not consider moving.

You missed the import of my emoticon. The "whistler" implies a tongue-in-cheek remark. Cheez!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you're moving to Thailand? How counter-culture can you get???? whistling.gif

The OP is in Thailand. Best to read the thread before commenting.

Since the OP already is in Thailand and she sound pretty smart, she could also dump the current bf and date somebody who are already working in Thailand. Problem solved, next!

He's an IT Consultant for an international company from Japan, currently working in Munich.

Why would he want to work in Thailand? He's probably making more money in Munich than in Thailand.

I know what Thailand is like and I still don't roam around Paragon to show off my latest designer bag. If it was for the income alone we would not consider moving.

You missed the import of my emoticon. The "whistler" implies a tongue-in-cheek remark. It's more of a comment on the materialism-more-rampant-than-the-West culture that I find here. I laud your priorities. Sorry I had to explain it. Takes away from the irony of the juxtaposition of your priorities and the prevalent culture here.

Talk him into teaching. If you both really really wanna live there, its his easiest path.

Yeah come and live high on the hog on 30k per month and all the hassles that go with the TEFLr world.

Eh, no thanks, would rather stay in the west.

Eh, wasnt talking to you.

Because it's not all about the money?And you're moving to Thailand? How counter-culture can you get???? The OP is in Thailand. Best to read the thread before commenting. Since the OP already is in Thailand and she sound pretty smart, she could also dump the current bf and date somebody who are already working in Thailand. Problem solved, next!

10th anniversary this month and no intentions of looking for someone else. It's either the two of us or goodbye Thailand :).

• Like 1

And you're moving to Thailand? How counter-culture can you get???? whistling.gif

Since the OP already is in Thailand and she sound pretty smart, she could also dump the current bf and date somebody who are already working in Thailand. Problem solved, next!

Heartless but practical. whistling.gif

Note the "whistler" emoticon. wink.png

You missed the import of my emoticon. The "whistler" implies a tongue-in-cheek remark. It's more of a comment on the materialism-more-rampant-than-the-West culture that I find here. I laud your priorities. Sorry I had to explain it. Takes away from the irony of the juxtaposition of your priorities and the prevalent culture here.

Please see above, my phone didn't display te whistler ;). And yeah, I totally know what you mean.

• Like 1

A more feasible option for the b/f might be opening some kind of business, considering he has work experience but not a degree.

Thought that's not possible without Thai stakeholders?

Indeed, once you formally open a business in this country that's what is required.

In the meantime to keep him busy and to generate some revenue, he might set up something (in the age of information technology) that does not necessarily involve Thailand or Thai clients while being in Bangkok.

A more feasible option for the b/f might be opening some kind of business, considering he has work experience but not a degree.

He's got a degree, by the way. Just not from uni cause he decided doing non-academic job training.

And pray tell from what auspicious school of learning was he able to graduate from with a degree?

Didnt pick it up at KSR while you were shopping for designer handbags did he?

Talk him into teaching. If you both really really wanna live there, its his easiest path.

Yeah come and live high on the hog on 30k per month and all the hassles that go with the TEFLr world.

Eh, wasnt talking to you.
Eh, Ok.

A more feasible option for the b/f might be opening some kind of business, considering he has work experience but not a degree.Thought that's not possible without Thai stakeholders?He's got a degree, by the way. Just not from uni cause he decided doing non-academic job training.And pray tell from what auspicious school of learning was he able to graduate from with a degree?Didnt pick it up at KSR while you were shopping for designer handbags did he?

Apparently you're not familiar with the German vocational training system.

He's got a degree, by the way. Just not from uni cause he decided doing non-academic job training.

And pray tell from what auspicious school of learning was he able to graduate from with a degree?

Don't have to be insulting. I already played the cretin with our OP.

• Like 2

It is an academic degree that tends to be required. Unfortunately the average Thai civil servant or labour law policy maker is not familiar with the unique context of the German vocational training system and its merits.

It is an academic degree that tends to be required. Unfortunately the average Thai civil servant or labour law policy maker is not familiar with the unique context of the German vocational training system and its merits.

I know. Just wanted to clarify that my bf is by far not untrained.

Don't have to be insulting. I already played the cretin with our OP.
Not being insulting, its a genuine query, which the OP has answered,

"Apparently you're not familiar with the German vocational training system."

I must admit, no I am not familiar with German vocational training, I doubt very many on here are, thats not to knock German vocational training.

Too many times on here we read of "life degrees" and other such hogwash, usually originating from some online "virtual" uni in America.

Take at look at some of the crap people post in the jobs section while looking for work.

To myself and no doubt many others, a degree is a degree is a degree, end of, no such thing as, oh in my country its the equiavlent of, or it equals a uni course, this is Thailand, we are all familiar with the face and status that goes with degrees, and the lack of openings for people who dont have one.

The OP has already stated she has been in Thailand for 10 years,so she will be familair with the idiosyncratic Thai way of doing things.

.... I'm looking into teaching/researching positions in Thailand....my pay might feed us both.

THAT would be a very rare teaching/research position in Thailand. Why come to a country with the lowest average salary for teachers/researchers of any country in Asia (OK, maybe Myanmar or Laos are probably worse...)?

":maybe Myanmar or Laos are probably worse"

Oh, how little you know laugh.png ....

My bf and I have been together for 10 years, might have been a bit confusing. I'm in Thailand for a four-month research stay for an M.A. thesis at the moment. It's not my first time here, though. Vocational training means "learning" a job while being trained at school and in the company for 3 years. It's part of the dual system in Germany which offers professional non-academic training, too.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. Long distance romances seldom work and a male in Thailand with time on his hands and some jingle in his pockets is going to find some NEW pleasure to occupy his time. Ragamuffin is obviously a strong, capable women, who knows what she wants for herself, but looking after a man with nothing to do is a recipe for disaster if he comes here. And, considering his options, I doubt if he can find a career in Thailand that would match his qualifications.

• Like 1

Well, our relationship was long distance for the initial six months, then one year when I studied in England and now again but just for four months. However, we are looking into living/working here together and we won't break up ;). To be honest, I would not mind him having some time off and me taking care of both of us. He's been working really hard, has done the same thing for me for quite a while and deserves a long holiday - but I'm pretty sure he'd be bored after a couple of months at the latest and of course he wants to stay up-to-date regarding his business field.

Throwing in a 10-year job and the career he has built, to chance it in Thailand, is a bad decision in my opinion.

It is very hard to get a decent, well paying job from within Thailand. The competition is deep and the opportunities far between...and from an Employers side, the quality of candidates is generally low and quite desperate to apply for anything.

Think carefully. This is one of those forks in the roads that he may be taking the wrong turn.

I wish you both good luck in chasing the dream.

• Like 1

Maybe if he isn't able to find a job he could enroll in some sort of school in Thailand.

Maybe you would like to check out the international schools, just to keep him from being bored?

He is not qualified to be a teacher and he does not like to be a teacher. And you are suggesting he joins an international school 'to keep him from being bored'? Spare a thought for the children.

If you both TEFL as hard as you can for a decade or two who knows,you may even rise to the position of TV moderator at some point,the sky's the limit!laugh.png

• Like 1

Well, our relationship was long distance for the initial six months, then one year when I studied in England and now again but just for four months. However, we are looking into living/working here together and we won't break up wink.png. To be honest, I would not mind him having some time off and me taking care of both of us. He's been working really hard, has done the same thing for me for quite a while and deserves a long holiday - but I'm pretty sure he'd be bored after a couple of months at the latest and of course he wants to stay up-to-date regarding his business field.

You seem very determined,so much so that I am prepared to step into his shoes and let you take care of me,I wouldn't do this for just anyone though!

Sounds bad if your bf comes here with nothing to do all day and in the process gives up his career back home (might be hard getting hired again in his 40's and starting over upon returning).

This won't happen.

We're not going to come here in case his chances of finding a job are too limited.

We're both qualified and responsible, not the "let's open a beach bar cause we had such a nice vacation in Thailand" or "anyone can teach until they die, who cares about a pension" type ;).

Throwing in a 10-year job and the career he has built, to chance it in Thailand, is a bad decision in my opinion.

It is very hard to get a decent, well paying job from within Thailand. The competition is deep and the opportunities far between...and from an Employers side, the quality of candidates is generally low and quite desperate to apply for anything.

Think carefully. This is one of those forks in the roads that he may be taking the wrong turn.

I wish you both good luck in chasing the dream.

That's why I ask for advice.

My boyfriend is looking for another job at home anyway (for various reasons) - he'd not throw in his current position only to come to Thailand and we're not desperate to relocate.

If you both TEFL as hard as you can for a decade or two who knows,you may even rise to the position of TV moderator at some point,the sky's the limit!laugh.png
Nice one, if I ever plummeted to the depths of being a TEFLr, the balcony who be a preferable option.
  • Like 1