Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 Maintenance Question

Phronesis

I have recently purchased a second hand D-Tracker.

Very happy with it.

The seal around the gear lever is a little oily and the gear change lever itself is a little loose on the threaded spline. I tried to tighten it to no avail.

Upon inspection, it doesn't look like the seal around the gear shaft is a pickable seal (that can be replaced easily)as was the case many of my dirt and enduro bikes in the past.

Rather there looks to be a small cover plate over the gear shaft that is held in place by a half dozen or so bolts.

Has anyone here had a "floppy" gear lever or weeping seal on their D-Tracker and replaced either the seal or the whole seal,cover plate, gear lever assembly.

If so I would appreciate your comments on what work you had done and how much it cost you.

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks Wantan

Yep that's it.

Does your manual say that the seal on the gear change shaft can be replaced....or does the whole plate and shaft assembly have to be renewed??

And where did you get your manual...I tried a decent google search but came up dry?

Thanks Wantan

Yep that's it.

Does your manual say that the seal on the gear change shaft can be replaced....or does the whole plate and shaft assembly have to be renewed??

And where did you get your manual...I tried a decent google search but came up dry?

As i can see the manual doesn't say something about a seal there. I guess best would be to remove the cover first and have a look whats the problem.

I sent you a PM. Good luck :)

Thanks for the valuable reply, Wantan. I also have a 250 D-Tracker and like it very much, but I know it will have to be serviced by a reputable dealer. So far I've been happy with the Kawasaki dealer in Chiang Mai. However, a manual WOULD be helpful because I know absolutely squat about motorcycles. I just want them to go brummmm when I hit the starter.

strange ht the lever is loose. What you are saying is you can move/see the lever and the splined shaft is not moving? What year is your bike?

btw the bolt needs to be completely removed for the shift lever to come off.

Edited by yankee99

2010 model. Yep the lever is loose on the splined shaft. But I have already attempted to tighten the locking bolt as far as I dare without stripping it. Didn't improve the situation one bit. I may need to buy a new gear lever...but if I do that I might also replace the splined gear shaft as well. That is why I posted here. Just trying to clarify if the shaft or the seal around the shaft can be replaced individually, or if the whole shaft,seal, coverplate assembly must be renewed.